Crank Case Venting problem?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Crank Case Venting problem??

I have an 07 ZX-10R that I am racing on a lightning sprint car. I am turning it 13.5 rpm on methanol with 61# injectors. The problem I am having is at substained RPM it will start to pump out oil on the crank case / transmission case vent. What I did to help out is I blocked off the valve cover exhaust holes by drilling, taping and plugging them. Then I drilled out the valve cover under the valve cover plate with 10-3/16 holes and tied those two valve covers together and vented it out of a K&N filter. I also took the vent hose from the Crank case vent and put a filter on it. I did this to help relieve pressure in the lower end. But last night while hot lapping I started to push oil out of the CC / Transmission vent. Has anyone else experianced this while Road Racing there bike of at any time?

I see on the oem manual there is another plug just up from the cc vent. I am thinking about removing that plug and adding another vent which should double my venting area?

I may need to make some type of baffle box that is vented to help keep the oil in the motor.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks, Quantrill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you going around a circle in one direction? Maybe you need more baffling in the oil pan, or more drainback from one side of the head. Could the methanol be diluting the oil?
post #3 of 5 Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes I am going around a circle turning left. I have a deep billet oil pan and the oil pick up as been moved to the right. The oil has not been milked from the methonal when it comes out. I am going to do a leak down test today. I am wondering at this point if my vent filter is just to low. I only had it 5" above the case. I was think just the turbulence in the lower end may have enough force to push the oil that high. I have since moved the filter as for up as I can and will be buying some type of catch can or making one with a baffle in it.

What do you mean more drain back from the head?

Thanks for you input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Nevermind, if you are turning left, then the oil going to the head can drain back through the cam chain galley.

I agree that a baffled crankcase vent or higher vent filter is a good idea. On turbo drag bikes we used to spiral the hose out of the vent to keep the oil from saturating the filter.

Is there another car in your race series that runs an 06-07 ZX10 motor?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

switch over to a dry sump

Shoot me a pm and I can point you in the right direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in