Could Dorna buy the AMA? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Could Dorna buy the AMA?

The discourse in AMA paddock is palpable. From 2013′s surprise revelation that AMA Pro Road Racingís TV package would not cover all the events, to 2014′s complete lack of television coverage, there have been serious questions raised about DMGís ability to market the premier road racing series in the United States...

More here...

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumo...-championship/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Given that the Canadian national series continues to be in trouble, too, I hope this happens.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The last line pretty much sums it up:

"Either way you look at it, it’s a scary proposition"

Given the current non-existent state of road racing in the US, anything at this point would be a step up though. The DMG experiment is a uber failure.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
The last line pretty much sums it up:

"Either way you look at it, itís a scary proposition"

Given the current non-existent state of road racing in the US, anything at this point would be a step up though. The DMG experiment is a uber failure.
Agreed 100%. I think if things don't change VERY soon American road racing as we have known it will be in total disrepair (Yes even more than it already is). Its seems crazy to me, there are more people doing track days than ever before. I would think that would generate interest?

post #5 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 08:36 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Agreed 100%. I think if things don't change VERY soon American road racing as we have known it will be in total disrepair (Yes even more than it already is). Its seems crazy to me, there are more people doing track days than ever before. I would think that would generate interest?
You would think so but it seems many people are under the impression (at least here in Canada) that you don't get as much track time and it isn't worth the cost to race compared to a track day. Then there's the people who don't think they can compete or don't want to. I don't understand it personally.

I don't know if Dorna taking over is the right answer but something has to happen and fast, like next year fast.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
You would think so but it seems many people are under the impression (at least here in Canada) that you don't get as much track time and it isn't worth the cost to race compared to a track day. Then there's the people who don't think they can compete or don't want to. I don't understand it personally.

I don't know if Dorna taking over is the right answer but something has to happen and fast, like next year fast.
Yes, next year fast is right and I doubt DMG is losing sleep over it. There are some seriously fast guys out there right now at club level. Those guys need a chance to move up and if DMG had their wits they would a way. Bringing the 1000's back to the 200 will help but it needs to be a broader answer than that. I don't want to be using the RIP emoticon for the AMA.

post #7 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Could they? Sure. Why would they though? As the article mentioned, it would be better for them to start their own series. What exactly do they get by buying the rights to AMA? There is no value in it, possibly even a negative when you think of the association that most people have of it in their minds.

I think a North American series is a brilliant idea. However, I'm not sure how Canada fits in. They don't have any tracks that are FIM approved I thought?
post #8 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

I've heard rumors that WERA may be courting Dorna to set up a new series in the US. The superbike shootout here on the west coast seems to be going well. The report from all the racers at the Sear's Point event was it was the most fun they've had racing in a long time. I think the racing fans here are going to have to accept a little bit of compromise though. The TV package may never happen, but an online streaming and DVR is already in the works and could be made better.

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount
post #9 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 11:19 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The ultimate problem IMHO is that America does not support motorcycle road racing like Europe and Asia we just don't have the fan base to fill race tracks. If the tracks don't make money they can't and won't schedule an event. I don't think any one can make motorcycle road racing work in America. We are a nation of NASCAR watcher's.

Their is also the debate that track days are ruining racing and there is truth to that. Racing at any level is expensive with track days so readily available its so much easier to plop down a small amount and get on a track and go as fast as you like.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-30-2014, 11:24 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Track days are no cheaper than racing, your just committed to a weekend instead of a singe day. Your entry fees may even be cheaper racing, you still use tires and fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in