Clutch ? ? ? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-15-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Clutch ? ? ?

Well clutch finally went in the 10 last night at the drag strip and was wondering if there were any aftermarket clutches yet that ya'll recommend or do ya'll just get oem and stiffer springs? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
Barnette clutches work pretty well, we put them in quite a few bikes, comes with stiffer sprigns and all.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-15-2006, 06:30 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

The OEM plates have shown to be the best plates money could buy. Barnett's are great for drag racing but are usually short lived but grab great for what its worth. Only one's aftermarket I would recommend are the Factory brand, nice grip and last pretty good too.

Tread

2004 PBO zx10-r pazzo, seat cowl, yoshi Ti TRS bolt on, PC3, Speedo-Healer, Hyperpro, Braided lines, 16-40, Sato sets, ZG dark screen, and more.

Last edited by Tread70; 07-15-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB
Well clutch finally went in the 10 last night at the drag strip and was wondering if there were any aftermarket clutches yet that ya'll recommend or do ya'll just get oem and stiffer springs? Thanks for the help.

how did your clutch react? do you feel it was normal clutch wear for drag racing ? i ask as you should read my other post about my clutch shattering into pieces.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by loueber
how did your clutch react? do you feel it was normal clutch wear for drag racing ? i ask as you should read my other post about my clutch shattering into pieces.
Never saw that post..you got a quick link?

From all me readings of riders on this forum that have replaced their clutch they went back to stock as I will when if not already is starting to go with many drag runs and the bike has over 12k miles.

How many miles did you get and drag runs BryanB before the clutch went?
post #6 of 12 Old 07-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
Never saw that post..you got a quick link?

From all me readings of riders on this forum that have replaced their clutch they went back to stock as I will when if not already is starting to go with many drag runs and the bike has over 12k miles.

How many miles did you get and drag runs BryanB before the clutch went?

here is copy of my post

OK...well
here is the story, i found out what the noise is...
tonight i was riding and noticed it started to get a little tough shifting..
so i adjusted my cable a little tighter....

arfter puling away at the light.. nice and easy.. i shift into second.. then BAM.. i thought i snapped my chain...
i pulled to the side of the road, it stalled out...
anyways i looked at the cable .. and it is working fine down at the clutch housing... so its the cloutch itself internal.. at least for now, hoefully the tranny aint messed up.

NOW that i recall, my frined who has a 06 10 his shift is really really hard to get it into and out of gear...

how is everyones shifting ? nice and smooth ?
check it out..
i called my friend that works at the dealer and he said take it in in the morning..
but im debating.. i might just want to do the clutch my self instead of letting it die at the dealer.. i might pull the cover and see...a couple hundred bucks will get me back on teh road vs waiting for the dealer ...

SO.. check your front right fork seals.. and keep your eye on the shifting..

now if this happend to me further away i would have been pissed..
pretty nice kawi... thanks for taking my 12 grand and giving me a crap bike.,
im going to write them a letter tomorrow...
post #7 of 12 Old 07-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by loueber
here is copy of my post

OK...well
here is the story, i found out what the noise is...
tonight i was riding and noticed it started to get a little tough shifting..
so i adjusted my cable a little tighter....

arfter puling away at the light.. nice and easy.. i shift into second.. then BAM.. i thought i snapped my chain...
anyways i looked at the cable .. and it is working fine down at the clutch housing... so its the cloutch itself internal.. at least for now, hoefully the tranny aint messed up.

NOW that i recall, my frined who has a 06 10 his shift is really really hard to get it into and out of gear...

how is everyones shifting ? nice and smooth ?
check it out..
i called my friend that works at the dealer and he said take it in in the morning..
but im debating.. i might just want to do the clutch my self instead of letting it die at the dealer.. i might pull the cover and see...a couple hundred bucks will get me back on teh road vs waiting for the dealer ...

SO.. check your front right fork seals.. and keep your eye on the shifting..

now if this happend to me further away i would have been pissed..
pretty nice kawi... thanks for taking my 12 grand and giving me a crap bike.,
im going to write them a letter tomorrow...

Quote:
So, basically you don’t know yet what happened and don’t even know if the clutch is shattered…that is describing major housing or plates cracked but yet you have no proof as you haven’t even opened up the clutch cover yet.

Understand why you might be pissed off but at least post what you know to this point. Many members read this stuff and false or in-accurate information or no information like your riding habits and miles on the bike does not help any. :headshake
post #8 of 12 Old 07-15-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I got alittle over 3,000miles on the bike. My first launch was a decent, but not great 6.4 pass(stock wheelbase) with the bike pulling the wheel up and i rode it out. The second pass was about the same. The third to fifth pass the bike got real grabby/jerky(bike was cool, not to hot). The clutch just got real grabby, I was stalling at 7/8k and slippin the clutch and goin wot asap. I dunno, its kinda hard to explain what i was feelin the bike do last night. It felt like it kept on wanting to grab, then it let go and grabbed again. (Im guessing a broke clutch plate maybe, but i dont know yet) A guy i race with and hang out with took my bike out for two passes after he saw me make those runs. He used to drag race pro for 20years and now works on bikes and owns a Kawasaki and Sasuki dealership with his brothers. He told me what i tought; that its time for a new clutch. He went into more detail, but i was just to tired/aggrivated last night to really pay attention. Workin in the heat all week will do it to you. I'll talk at him tomorrow and give more detail.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Stay away from barnett clutches.I put them in my 02 gsxr750 and they lasted 3000 miles.Maybe one trip to the track.My stock clutches lasted 15,000 miles with numerous trips to track.Plus the barnetts never engaged very smooth real jerky.I have a friend with a hayabusa he uses just for drag racing that is pretty well modified and he only uses stock clutches.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-17-2006, 10:43 AM

Posting Frequency

when you change the clutch fibers put some spring pressure to them that will make your clutchs last longer and also my 0.02 cents what ever you do don't use barnette any thing cobey but some barnette spring on the machine to see how much sring pressure I had and the stock srings had seven more pounds per inch than the barnettes new and also the barnette fabers go in chunks so it gets in to the jets that feed your crank so you know what is after that if your crank can't get oil. Stay with stock you can't go wrong and some spring pressure good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in