caboose goes racing - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-22-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to caboose
caboose goes racing

Hey guys. I finally made the jump from track days to racing this past weekend. I posted this on my local forum and i figured you guys might enjoy it. It's a long read though.. ahahha. it was an eventful weekend for sure!

Thursday:
I got the bike all ready, truck all loaded up but i had that feeling that I was forgetting something. I almost didn't want to leave because i couldn't figure out what it was but it all worked out so I dunno! I got to the track around 7pm and set up shop with my buddy. It's nice to have friends with canopies. aha.

Here's the track. We were running the Pro Track configuration.

Friday:
Well i didnt sleep well thursday night and i felt like crap friday morning. Sleeping with ear plugs in friday and saturday night helped drown out the loud folk. haha. I got some coffee in me and started waking up, felt a little better. Got the bike tech'd no problem but the front end felt really weird riding through the pits. I hadn't set the pressures yet so it turned out that the front tire was at 15psi, no biggie. Threw the warmers on, got the tires up to temp and set 31F and 29R as advised by Dunlop. I had dialed the damper way back riding through the pits because the front was so mushy but i forgot to dial it back in when i went out in the 1st session. 1st lap on the back straight i had some crazy head shake.. holy f**k!! managed to get it cranked back in between fabi 1 and the chicane... much better. test session went well, came back in.. woot! feelin good. check the pressures again before the next session... front was down to 20psi again. huh.. pump it back up to 31psi hot and go back out.. another good test session. came back in and checked the front, 26psi. sh*t, something not right. My buddy came over with his soapy water spray bottle and we found a pin hole puncture in the front. that sucks! pulled the front wheel and off i went to the Pro6 Cycle trailer with a 211 front to get mounted. got that sorted, back out in the afternoon for some good practice sessions. the rest of the day went well.

Saturday:
Forecast is calling for rain and i don't have my rains yet. Ah well. Novice practice session is up first and the track is dry. Fluffy The Destroyer is ready so we got out there and i managed a 1:12.7, fastest in Novice Open practice. The rain started right after that session and it was wet all day. In afternoon qualifying i went out on the DOT's and did one pylon lap in the wet. The top qualifier ran a 1.19.X on rains and i managed a 1.52.X. ahahhaha. I did qualify ahead of the 5 people who didn't go out at all in the rain so i was 19th out of 25. Inside of row 6 for the start.

Sunday:
Morning practice sessions i managed a best of 1:13.1 but there were two other riders down into the 12's. They're startin to pick it up a bit, i was starting to think i was going to have a really hard time catching up to some of them from 19th. My last practice was at 10:40, then i was off until 4pm for the race. I was starting to get REALLY anxious towards race time... uggh.. the butterflies.. i just want to get through the start, turn 1 and turn 2. Weather was looking good at race time, i got suited up with time to spare but then there was a crash in the race before mine so they had to take the crash truck out to get the bike. Sitting.. waiting.. nervous.. f**k. Finally heard the call over the PA system for Novice Open.. it's go time. Pulled the warmers, fired up the bike and headed for pit lane right behind my buddy. Staged in pit lane for a minute or two then they waved us onto the track.

The Race:
I was actually surprised how slow the sighting lap was. I wanted to go a lot quicker to get some more heat in the brakes, tires, etc. Came around to the starting grid about ready to sh*t myself. I found my starting spot, inside of row 6. Everyone gets gridded up, red flag goes down.... revs go up.. light goes green and i'm off. Managed to get by a few riders before turn 1, stuck in a pack through 1 and 2 but then the field starts to sort itself out a bit and i managed to get by a few more on the throttle into turn 3. got by 3 more riders on the back straight and i got settled in and started pickin off more riders one at a time. Feeling pretty good out there and i was working my way up then on the 3rd lap a rider was down in a run off area.. red flag.. pit out at the Fabi run off and come around back into Pit Lane. Another friend got me some water that i needed badly!! ahaha. Race officials tell us that it'll be a 4-lap restart from the original grid position.. f*ck! back to 19th!! Shortly after we're all waved back onto the track, some riders had their warmers on in Pit Lane, i did not so i wanted a quicker out lap. Was 3rd rider out and went much quicker than the first time, got some heat back into the tires... came around a stopped in my grid spot again.. 19th.. f*ck!! Restart goes well, through turn 1 and 2 clean then it's go time! Started pickin off riders.. a couple laps later i came up on my friend and passed on the throttle on the outside into turn 3. That was my only "moment" of the race where i went really deep into 3. Dunlops held and i got back into the groove. Next time off the back straight i only saw 5 riders in front of me.. I'm in 6th?? holy f**k! keep goin! Got by one of em, in 5th now on the last lap. Catching up to 4th place through turn 3 and i was on his ass into the hair pin. Having 40+ hp on anyone else in the field does have its advantages sometimes.. drag race down the back straight and i took 4th. Kept him behind me for the last few turns and came around onto the front and finished in 4th place!!! WOOT!! My last lap i managed a 1.10.9.

I've never had that much fun in my life! I even get $100 Dunlop Dollars! I got John Sherrard from Accelerated Technologies to help me with my suspension at the last GoLo Trackday and the 10R is hookin up really well. The Dunlops are working really well (as long as they're holding air.. ahahha). I can't f**kin wait to get back up there. GoLo double header trackdays next weekend and Round 4 is in July!!

Sorry for the long read!!! ahahah Here's me during friday practice:

2010 10R Superbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
outstanding looks like so much fun I got to get back on the track again and get back into racing... but I need some money for that LOL nice write up..

post #3 of 3 Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

cool man, looks like so much fun. your bike stands out from the crowd

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in