Braking Techniques - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Talking Braking Techniques

Was browsing the local forum...found a good thread about braking...great read.

I was always under the impression that if youre rear wheel isn't on the ground...how will the rear brake help???

Well if watch MX, you can see how when they are in the air and are too much in a "wheelie" position, they will hit the rear brake to cause the front end to fall some fer their landing...

I dont think most really understand how much the rear brake can help, even in race applications...

ofcourse the rear brake wont stop you...but its not always about stopping...but CONTROLLING!

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12635

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

all in all its often times overlooked with ones focus on other aspects of riding i.e. corner entry/exit apex points, body position the bikes performance weather it be stock of modified while braking gets shuffled to the back burner in terms of actually applying maximum braking effort for a given distance, learning to brake deeper so that theres no on/off throttle scenerio.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

(BD, how many breath did you have to take to finish that sentence of your?! No offend intended but that is some funny sh$t you wrote. )

I find the rear brake is a bit of an issue for me, personally. From what I was taught, the rear brake stabilizes the BIKE under braking into the corner, slow the over-steer under acceleration out of the corner, and best of all, preventing backward flip. It does take a lot of practice to develop the necessary sensitivity to use successfully. Never was a rear brake rider when I started riding motorcycle, I found it to be too distracting when I started racing. When I went to Freddie's Pro-school, I was told it could be helpful but not necessary. They even have a rear-brake drill but I only found it to be useful when trying to back the bike into the hairpin, screwing around. It never occured to me to use it while racing.

"Every mistake is a learning opportunity"
http://wera.com/racerprofiles/David_Nguyen_18619.htm

Last edited by Archille; 05-19-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 02:56 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archille
(BD, how many breathes did you have to take to finish that sentence of yours?! No offence intended but that is some funny sh$t you wrote. )
just came up for air thanks

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Yankee Racer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10ragentblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
just came up for air thanks

BD
bout time
post #6 of 11 Old 05-20-2006, 12:36 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok something I saw was scary and that was watching Dislavo practicing at LVMSW yes i watched him ride without rear break and pass Freddies instructors at will. The only reason I can see using rear break is because you have breaked late and need the extra help. But Hell I am no racer and wateched dislavo do it and lap the faster riders at will somthing to think about rear break doesn't help that much from what I can see but it does keep the guy behind you from passing you
post #7 of 11 Old 05-20-2006, 02:39 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I read an article a while ago about how Nicky Hayden uses the rear brake a lot. But he has a button on the clippons for the rear brake. He doesn't use the rear brake for brakes but more for bike control. (i.e. To drop the front wheel, to slow the rear wheel so there is less spinning momenum and hence causing the bike to tip in faster). About the only time I use the rear brake is if I have to do an off road excursion at the track. Then I only use the rear brake to slow down.

If you gotta ask you can't afford it.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I learned to ride on a MX bike years ago. The front brake was non-existant on that bike so I learned to use the rear brake. I still use the rear brake (probably too much) but I do find that I only use it in select turns. I don't think about using it or not using it. It just feels better to use it sometimes. I have a friend who NEVER used to use his rear brake. I got him to try it in a couple of turns at TWS and he said it helped stabilize the bike at corner entry.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-20-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta xray
I learned to ride on a MX bike years ago. The front brake was non-existant on that bike so I learned to use the rear brake. I still use the rear brake (probably too much) but I do find that I only use it in select turns. I don't think about using it or not using it. It just feels better to use it sometimes. I have a friend who NEVER used to use his rear brake. I got him to try it in a couple of turns at TWS and he said it helped stabilize the bike at corner entry.

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Green Hippie

Posting Frequency

the rear brake (at least to me )is a lot like a rudder on aircraft it is one thing that is difficult to master but once you have it down it makes things a lot easier. I steer with it and use it a lot to 'settle 'the bike in just my .02

VAE VICTUS!

RIP James R Patterson 6/3/30-5/26/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in