Ben retires - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Ben retires

Seems a shame things didnt work out better for him.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/913/17...om-Racing.aspx

American Ben Spies has announced his retirement from racing. The 29-year-old Texan leaves racing after multiple shoulder injuries during the 2012 and 2013 seasons. A three-time AMA Superbike champion and 2009 World Superbike champ, Spies campaigned three GP seasons with Yamaha, the latter two with the factory squad. Spies signed a two-year deal with Ducati for the 2013 and 2014 seasons, but aforementioned injuries limited his effectiveness and he competed in only two races for the Pramac Ducati squad. His last action on track was a season-ending practice session crash at Indianapolis. - MotoUSA Ed

Ducati Motor Holding and Ben Spies announced today that the American will not be racing in 2014 after the parties reached agreement to resolve Ben’s current contract with the Italian racing manufacturer. The 29-year-old Texan had signed a two-year agreement with Ducati at the end of last season to race in MotoGP in 2013 and 2014 as part of the factory-supported Ignite Pramac Racing Team.

Ben has been sidelined for most of this season due to an injury to his right shoulder sustained in October 2012 while riding for another manufacturer team. While he began 2013 racing with Pramac, it quickly became clear that he was not fully healed from his injury and needed to undergo further rehabilitation on his shoulder. Unfortunately, on his return to racing at Indianapolis in August, Ben had another setback when he suffered a season-ending crash during practice.

The resulting operations on both shoulders have left Spies feeling that his physical ability to ride next year remains in question and a decision was jointly made by Ducati and Ben to release Ben from any requirement to race in 2014.

The 2009 World Superbike Champion, three-time AMA Superbike Champion and MotoGP race winner announced his retirement from the sport in the following way: “I had such high hopes for racing for Ducati, and Ducati has been incredibly supportive of me during this challenging year, so I am tremendously disappointed that I have not been able to fulfill my personal goals and team goals with Ducati. I want to thank everyone from racing organizations, factories, teams and all my fans for helping me and supporting me throughout my career. I never dreamed that I would reach the level of success that I have over the past 20 years of racing, but the time has come to stop and I do so with great sadness.”

Spies’ manager/mother Mary Spies added: “Wherever Ben has raced over the years—from AMA Superbike to World Superbike to MotoGP—he has always felt the warmth and appreciation of the organizers, circuits, teams and fans. We are so grateful to them for their support.”

Ducati MotoGP Project Director Paolo Ciabatti declared: "We had high expectations when Ben joined Ducati in MotoGP this year, and we really hoped that he would fully recover from his Indianapolis crash injuries and continue to race for us in the future. However we understand the reasons for his decision and respect them. It is really a shame for our sport that Ben will not be racing anymore, because in our opinion he is one of the most talented riders in the world. We will miss him and wish him all the best for his future life."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow... Kinda sad at this. Even Rossi had major problems after his stent with accidents...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 04:28 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

He will be back..in WSBK soon.. the guy is too young.

“Ride like you are invisible.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Posting Frequency

Garage
Idk, think his head (and spirit) got messed up at the end of the factory Yami ride, more so than his shoulders. It is sad to see though.

First two things that came to mind when I read this:
1) Hopefully this is just a way for him and Ducati to contractually part ways and he'll be back somewhere in 2015
2) What's Mary gonna do now

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss
post #5 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Put him on a Factory Kawi. The winning circle won't be far from your future with a Kawi Ben. I hope to see him ride again.

I'm not fast I'm just faster than you
Bikes owned
97 ZX11, 98 R1, 00 CBR929, 02 RC51, 02 Duc 998, 02 GSXR 1000, 04 GSXR 600, 05 ZX10R, 05 ZX6R, 06 Husky TE 510, 07 ZX6R, 04 GSXR 750, 2001 CBR929RR, 2007 ZX10R SE Hows my resume
post #6 of 18 Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I think he lost his drive. Dude crashed out of so many races in 2013. He did good, but all dogs have their days.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Hmmmm i know im no superbike racer by ANY means. Having said that, i went through probably something very similar in a similar time frame. Two shoulder reconstructions in just under 3 years (one due to a bike crash) so im gonna agree with everyone who says its in his head or whatever. Crashes like the ones he had will surely mess you up. My shoulders will be screwy for life but i still do things i probably shouldnt and overload them and am guessing Ben had 10 times whatever surgeon i had so his probably work better. So im gonna have to say it was the mindfuck of the crashes plus, and this is my wishful thinking here, that it was a "easy" way to get out of the Duc contract like YSR said. I think i know what most of our first thoughts are when we hear of Ben being on a Ducati. Hayden sucked at it and i damn sure dont wanna see Ben go down that road.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
post #8 of 18 Old 03-22-2014, 04:29 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

We don't live forever.

It may be that we all reach a point in our life when we realize we are not going to live forever and for most of us that comes around the age of 30. I believe the brain matures and life becomes more precious. I hit the hay bales really hard at Lakewood when I was 25 and I began to wonder if the chance I was taking was worth the price. I was lucky I didn't break my neck and I decided I would not do it again. I wonder if Ben had the same thought?
post #9 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ben Spies Race School?
post #10 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZX10R View Post
It may be that we all reach a point in our life when we realize we are not going to live forever and for most of us that comes around the age of 30. I believe the brain matures and life becomes more precious. I hit the hay bales really hard at Lakewood when I was 25 and I began to wonder if the chance I was taking was worth the price. I was lucky I didn't break my neck and I decided I would not do it again. I wonder if Ben had the same thought?

Send it back to WSBK where he belongs. Motogp wasn't his style. I want to see "elbowz" racing game!

“Ride like you are invisible.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in