ama & buell - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-18-2006, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

ama & buell

so, the xbrr's aren't technically production bikes. there is a bunch of debate going on about the ama's leniant views and allowances as far as the buells are concerned.

buell melted down their crank case, and redid it completely (with the melted down crank case). so "technically" it's made from the same material.

now, the buell's motor has been modified in such a way that it does not fit in a stock frame.

to me, this bends the rules a bit too much.

what do yall think? for or against? and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

just wanted to see an American bike compete. Would have been nice if they had not screwed up two pit stops- towel and then tire and stand.

It is formula Extreme so who cares about rules.
Harley created many of the rules that later allowed Ducati to compete using bigger V-twins in classes dominated by smaller fours. So let them bend the rules again.

Remember Duhammel on a Harley vr1000? circa 94??

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
post #3 of 31 Old 03-19-2006, 12:16 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Miami
just wanted to see an American bike compete. Would have been nice if they had not screwed up two pit stops- towel and then tire and stand.

It is formula Extreme so who cares about rules.
Harley created many of the rules that later allowed Ducati to compete using bigger V-twins in classes dominated by smaller fours. So let them bend the rules again.

Remember Duhammel on a Harley vr1000? circa 94??
Well actually, Ducati had more to due with the formulation of those rules. H-D tried to jump on Ducatis coat tails but couldn't hang on and were a continual embarrasment in spite of trying to hire the best riders around to push those pigs around the track. That 199? H-D looked like it was designed in 1968. And ran like it.

The AMA is trying to get H-D and their fans involved because they figure that it would be good for gate attendance. The Harleys in drag racing have created more interest and increased the draw for the bike drags. Of course they had to give the H-D's a 2 to 1 or greater displacement advantage to get them to compete. Hmmmm. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Gixxer Vixxon, I think they have stretched to rules so far, in order for the Buell to compete that it makes the whole class a bit of a joke. Not a good thing, IMHO.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

i agree they're pushing things down the wrong alley.

i didn't know the duc's had their influence there. thanks for that :) however, i'm not sure how duc fit into formula xtreme. i don't recall them every competing in this series (though admittedly i just recently started following more than superbike, world, and motogp more closely)
i just think it's silly that they're stretching rules for certain manufacturers.

i also think that it's silly to allow a 1350cc oil cooled pushrod. to me, if hd wants to be competitive, invest in newer, better technology.

(and i still think it's hilarious that none of hte buells finished)
post #5 of 31 Old 03-19-2006, 06:48 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

'05 ZX-10R
'09 Streetglide
post #6 of 31 Old 03-19-2006, 07:05 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickaho
I read that one of the main concerns is that the class also calls for modified "streetbikes", where the XBRR in it's own sales brochure is for "closed course use only".

Other than that, I'm all about seeing Harley getting involved. This is just the push they need toward getting a reality check and letting Buell develop a REAL engine (sidenote: should'a bought KTM when they had a chance). But on the other hand, like Zeta said, they are pushing it a bit too far. Imagine what Yami, Kawi, or whoever could do with their bikes if they decided to go the same path. That is, if the AMA allows it. So by bending the rules now, it may be good for Buell, but down the road, if others follow, it could only be bad.

Here is where I got my info if anybody else wants to look into it
AMA Road Racing Rulebook
Check page 21 in the book (should be 11 of 47 in PDF format) to see the rules for FX.

If you're anywhere near the Louisville Kentucky area, check out my local sportbike forum, Louisville Sportbikes!

Last edited by Kickaho; 03-19-2006 at 07:07 AM.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-19-2006, 07:36 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Vixxen
i also think that it's silly to allow a 1350cc oil cooled pushrod. to me, if hd wants to be competitive, invest in newer, better technology.

Thats like an oxymoron or something. Harley couldn't develop a modern bike no matter what they tried. Maybe they'll be running todays technology in 75 or 80 years like they are running 1930's tech today. Harleys are and they always will be. The idea that the AMA would even consider letting this bike race in a production class proves yet again that they will bend over backwards for Hardley at any time ( VR1000 was only sold in limited quantity in a country 1/2 way around the world! ) and that they have no buisness being a race sanctioning body. What little succes the AMA series have is in spite of the AMA not because of it.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Vixxen
i didn't know the duc's had their influence there. thanks for that :) however, i'm not sure how duc fit into formula xtreme.
My comment was in reference to the great H-D VR1000 being allowed in Superbike class when there was a 750cc limit for inline 4's. H-D didn't influence the rule makers in that case, Harley just wanted to follow Ducatis path to success. But they coudn't find the map.

As per FX, I didn't read the PDF of the AMA rules for the class yet, but I will. I know that V-twins (non-Harley V-twins) are given a displacement advantage in Supersport. I thought it was the same in FX. Ducati and any other real motorcycles can run 750 cc while the I-4's are limited to 600 cc. But Harleys are not a real V-twin and they need a lot more help.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-19-2006, 09:36 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah and the great HD VR1000 wasnt based on a production bike back then and the AMA let it race. Althought the rules said a 1000cc twin was legal..it also stated that the bike should be baised on an actual STREET bike. So why is everybody surprised that Buell is allowed to race the XBR. it just goes to show you that the AMA is clueless (and has been for sometime now) as to running and governing a racing series. They should stick to Politics..and lobbying. And get out of racing all together....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta xray
My comment was in reference to the great H-D VR1000 being allowed in Superbike class when there was a 750cc limit for inline 4's. H-D didn't influence the rule makers in that case, Harley just wanted to follow Ducatis path to success. But they coudn't find the map.

As per FX, I didn't read the PDF of the AMA rules for the class yet, but I will. I know that V-twins (non-Harley V-twins) are given a displacement advantage in Supersport. I thought it was the same in FX. Ducati and any other real motorcycles can run 750 cc while the I-4's are limited to 600 cc. But Harleys are not a real V-twin and they need a lot more help.

BK
05-ZX10R
2K ZX-7R
01' ZX-6R<-- Wifes
post #10 of 31 Old 03-19-2006, 09:50 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If you ever want a laugh, check out www.badweatherbikers.com
They are Buell FREAKS!!! Erik is their GOD and Blake is the prophet. I own a Buell and like the bike for what it is, but I cant stomach the bullshit that they spew on that site.

In their eyes, McWilly is the second coming of Christ.

Kelly
'05 ZX-10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in