Advise for a track bike - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Advise for a track bike

I am getting 07 ZX-10r in a week or so. This is going to be my track-only bike. So my question is what would be a better upgrades I should invest into. Currently, the only mod bike has are dual Akrapovic slip-ons. I am planning on putting ZX-14r front brakes on it, and while at it, add stainless steel lines. One question I have, are the SS lines interchangeable as well? Should I get the ones for 07 zx-10r and will they fit the zx-14r brakes? What other things should look into? PCIII? Rearsets? Levers? Steering stabilizer? I would greatly appreciate your guys input

I was also thinking going -1/+2. Should I use 520 chain or stay with the stock?

Last edited by mishanja; 02-14-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Get yourself a radial m.c. and some new pads to go along with those brakes.

post #3 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Slo
Is still Slo

Posting Frequency

Garage
It all depends on your skill level. I am thinking (could easily be wrong) that you haven't done track days before?

Just like or10r mentioned above....and to add to it. You will need sprockets to get the right gearing for a specific track (later when you get faster). There is nothing like coming out of a turn in 2nd gear, and being at 5k or so rpm.

Also I would say suspension and plenty of seat time out there.

You will be surprised at how fast you can be with a near stock bike. I raced with a stock GSXR1000 just race prepped (safety wired & coolant flushed, plastics) back in 08' with just race tires and did alright (top 10 finishes on my first 3 races starting back of the pack).

Once you get significant seat time out there, you will know what you want/need.

2015 ZX10R - Archer flash+goodies - Arrow - TechSpec lock kit tank pad - Spiegler lines
CL Pads - 520 kit - LSL sliders & rearset - Yoshi case guards - custom seats - Gyrocam GoPro 4 Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thank you for the reply. I was always wondering what is "safety wired"? Can I do it myself or it should be done by a shop? What do you mean by "coolant flushed"? Sorry for questions, noob here , this is going to be my first time at the track...
post #5 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Slo
Is still Slo

Posting Frequency

Garage
Awesome, you will have a blast out there. Be ready to welcome a new addiction!!!

Coolant flushed..... you will flush out your coolant with distilled water. In case of a crash, coolant is very hard to clean up out there. Some places allow things like water wetter, you will want to check with your local tracks/organizations.

safety wired..... there will be certains areas of the bike where the exposed nuts will have to have a hole drilled and wired to keep them from un-screwing. Amazing things happen at races and track days that normally wouldn't happen in the street. If you have the right tools/bits, it's not hard to do. You will need to check with your local tracks/organizations if they even require it for open track days.

Ask ANY question, there are plenty of folks around with varying opinions that are good.

2015 ZX10R - Archer flash+goodies - Arrow - TechSpec lock kit tank pad - Spiegler lines
CL Pads - 520 kit - LSL sliders & rearset - Yoshi case guards - custom seats - Gyrocam GoPro 4 Silver
post #6 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

For a novice trackday rider, good rubber, propper springs and suspension setup. Dont worry about anything else other than that. Spend your money on fresh tires and more trackdays.

EDIT: I look at my sig line and then read this post and think to myself maybe I should take my own advice. haha

GEN 4: Brembo HP calipers, Brembo HP T-Drive Rotors, Brembo RCS master cylinder, Fren Tubo SS lines, re-valved Ohlins damper, Ohlins TTX shock, Yoshimura case covers/frame sliders, Yoshimura 3/4 R77D Ti exhaust, BMC filter, Puig DB, Renthal Clip ons/sprockets, attack rearsets, Guhl flash, kawi kit throttle, Ballistic EVO2 8 cell, Annitori RL quick shifter, Dunlop rubber.

Last edited by Ninja187; 02-14-2012 at 05:20 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Does anyone know where I can get case savers for my bike? I seem to have hard time locating them for this year/model
post #8 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM
welds like he has palsy

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishanja View Post
Does anyone know where I can get case savers for my bike? I seem to have hard time locating them for this year/model
Woodcraft is a good product.

Seat time is the most important & don't throw a wad of cash at tires. I run mid pack level 2 and use Q2's. Depending on the organization, you may need a helmet with a born on date within 5 years. As stated before, a radial MC, SS lines, & new pads for the 2nd gen would be the best upgrade. I almost did a stoppie the first time I experienced the better brakes. IMHO 2nd gen 10R brakes are shit.

Check out ridesmart.info for track days. They go to Eagles Canyon Raceway in Denton, TX. That may not be too far from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green10 View Post
speakers on a zx10 is like shitting in your bathwater!!!
post #9 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Slo
Is still Slo

Posting Frequency

Garage
There is a link in my signature for Woodcraft case covers. Yoshimura also makes case savers that are more inexpensive, but depending on what type of "get off" you have, may not do much good.

post #10 of 24 Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP636 View Post
Woodcraft is a good product.

Seat time is the most important & don't throw a wad of cash at tires. I run mid pack level 2 and use Q2's. Depending on the organization, you may need a helmet with a born on date within 5 years. As stated before, a radial MC, SS lines, & new pads for the 2nd gen would be the best upgrade. I almost did a stoppie the first time I experienced the better brakes. IMHO 2nd gen 10R brakes are shit.

Check out ridesmart.info for track days. They go to Eagles Canyon Raceway in Denton, TX. That may not be too far from you.
I plan to got on March 23rd @ Texas World Speedway. If I can get free from work, I might try to make it to The Motorsport Ranch on the 3rd...

http://www.lstd.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in