8/2 Kawasaki STT Mid O Trackday report - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to lavudyar
8/2 Kawasaki STT Mid O Trackday report

OK - first, major thanks to Kawasaki for sponsoring this trackday and letting us participate for $99!

Now, what to mention next? STT? Zalusky? Meyers? GW? the heat? the top speed reachable on the back straight by a 2005 ZX10R?

I have officially moved Mid O up to 3rd on my favorite tracks (behind Laguna and Sears Point)!

So - STT: A friend and I pitted right next to STT instructor Mike (AHRMA racer and advanced group monitor) which was great. He was very helpful with advice on line selection and track markers, plus he helped us with setting up my friend's rear sag. Lunch was decent and there were no crashes (and no Suzukis to oil down the track either).

Jessica Zalusky: any of you who follow AMA raodracing know who she is, the only female roadracing professionally in the AMA (Supersport and FX). She is AMA #172, and she was riding around in the I and A groups (hey, when you're a Team Green rider and it's a Team Green day, you get some perks). Yes, she is fast, yes I got passed by a girl on a 600 - but only twice, and never twice in the same session!

Elena Meyers: not sure I spelled that right, but she is a future Team Green rider - 12 years old riding a ZX6R in her own private (her and an instructor) 15min sessions between N and I groups. Insurance wouldn't let her run with a big group, which is probably good because getting passed by an AMA racer is one thing, getting passed by a 12 year old would force me to sell my bike! Yes, she was smoking fast - I didn't get a lap time on her but I'd guess at mid to low 40's? Elena is currently racing 125's on the West Coast and winning (apparently insurance regs are different for competition vs. trackdays).

GW: Greg White hisself was hanging and banging in the A group and no, he never passed me. He looks like he's lost a lot of weight. Didn't get a chance to talk with him, but it was interesting to see him there (along with KK from SR and one of the Edges from MD - actually there were lots of journos there, I just couldn't ID any of them. I saw RRW and 2WT guys there as well).

Yes, it was hot but apparently not as hot as the day before - there was a decent breeze for most of the day. Most sessions I came in early to get water and cool off - a grand strategy as it allowed me to ride every session, and I was fastest at the end of the day.

Speaking of 'fastest' I borrowed another friend's trailer for transport, and when we picked it up he told us the story of a rider claiming to go 189mph at the Kink on a ZX10R. We had a good laugh about that! So during the second session I checked my speedo at the Kink and it read 186mph! I almost forgot to brake! All day long after that I was seeing 186-189 at the Kink and I was still accelerating after that. Now, I know there is serious speedo error, and I'm geared -1 up front, so the 189 was funny to see (and interesting that it would leap to 189 when I leaned it in and drop to 184 when I stood it back up - rpm's go up on the side of the tire, I knew that but had never seen it). But here's the rub - I was bumping the limiter in 6th before my breaking marker, so I was completely topped out: real top speed 175 and change.

All in all an excellent trackday!

Dunlop Qualifiers rule!

Thank you Kawasaki!

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Glad you guys had a great time...Sorry I missed out:( Hopefully they will do it again next year, cause I will be all over it!

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!
post #3 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
I've picked that elena myers up off the pavement when she crashed at TWS...shes fast f'sho!

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 01:22 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to colinmitchell111
Sounded like a great time. My lack of leathers kept me from going. Hopefully I will have the money for some this winter so I can tear up some track days next year!

05 Red 10R - Full Arrow system w/ carbon shorty can, Factory Pro velocity stacks, BMC race filter, Ivan's TRE, DJ PC3, DJ Quick Shifter, Scotts damper, Galfer SS Brake likes front and rear, Smoke DB windscreen, smoked front signals, gold Sato rearsets, solo seat cover, HID headlights, custom projector headlight, Hotbodies undertail, CRG Roll-A-Click gold levers. 190/55 Conti Sport Attacks.

www.myspace.com/zx10rcolin
post #5 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It was truly a blast, plus there weren't more than 10 in the advanced group. Last 2 sessions I pretty much had the track to myself. Felt strange actually.

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 01:43 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I need to get quicker before I even entertain the thought of going out in an advanced group!!!

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!
post #7 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Maybe - my friend spent all day in the mid to high 1:50's (not exactly blazing), got passed a lot but never got held up like he would have in intermediate!

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

cool beans ray.

BD

post #9 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Sounds like fun

04 Green ZX-10R, Evo II Header, Evo Canister, PCIIIUSB, BMC Race Filter, Vortex adj. Rearsets, Scorpio Alarm, Scotts Damper, Ivan's TRE, Ivan PCIII USB Map, Ivan's Kleen Block-Offs, Clear Alternatives Flush Mounts, Puig Double Bubble, Mirror Blocks, Sho-gun sliders, 1/5 throttle, Hot bodies fender eliminator, Goodridge SS lines, pazzo shorties and exhuast hanger.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-03-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Oh yeah - the Kawi people were all about doing more of these across the country, so keep an eye out with STT/Fastrax and I don't know who else.

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in