4th Gen w/ABS. Will it stoppie? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider
 
Porschenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 592
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
4th Gen w/ABS. Will it stoppie?

I've tried a few times to stoppie my 2013 ABS bike but I'm not having any success at all. High angle, rolling stoppies used to be my thing when I rode 10 years ago but I took a decade long brake from motorcycles and now that I'm back I just can't seem to stoppie this, my first ABS bike.

After gently preloading the front end I can feel the brake bite hard but then the ABS chatter engages at the slower speeds just before coming to a stop. Maybe I just need to grow some balls and try it at higher speeds? I'm trying to get back into it with baby steps. I.e. I just want to lift the back end an inch at first and build progressively to the big stopppies.

Thanks
Porschenut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Champion Rider
 
Ninja Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 330
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
I've tried a few times to stoppie my 2013 ABS bike but I'm not having any success at all. High angle, rolling stoppies used to be my thing when I rode 10 years ago but I took a decade long brake from motorcycles and now that I'm back I just can't seem to stoppie this, my first ABS bike.

After gently preloading the front end I can feel the brake bite hard but then the ABS chatter engages at the slower speeds just before coming to a stop. Maybe I just need to grow some balls and try it at higher speeds? I'm trying to get back into it with baby steps. I.e. I just want to lift the back end an inch at first and build progressively to the big stopppies.

Thanks
Pull the ABS fuse, maybe?
Ninja Johnny is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,490
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Uh.....so let me see if I understand this correctly. You bought an ABS-equipped bike to prevent the wheels from locking up and preventing stoppies. Yet, you're trying to do stoppies on an ABS-equipped bike. Yeah, keep trying that.

No, the WHOLE purpose of ABS is to stop you faster with BOTH tires on the ground. Ain't happening unless you disable the ABS system.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Champion Rider
 
Ninja Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 330
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Uh.....so let me see if I understand this correctly. You bought an ABS-equipped bike to prevent the wheels from locking up and preventing stoppies. Yet, you're trying to do stoppies on an ABS-equipped bike. Yeah, keep trying that.

No, the WHOLE purpose of ABS is to stop you faster with BOTH tires on the ground. Ain't happening unless you disable the ABS system.
I was going to ask the same thing, but then I thought, maybe he's trying to see if he can overcome the ABS???
Ninja Johnny is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider
 
Porschenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 592
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
Thanks for the suggestion Ninja. I commute on my bike so I'll just leave the fuse in. Maybe if I do a track day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Uh.....so let me see if I understand this correctly. You bought an ABS-equipped bike to prevent the wheels from locking up and preventing stoppies. Yet, you're trying to do stoppies on an ABS-equipped bike. Yeah, keep trying that.

No, the WHOLE purpose of ABS is to stop you faster with BOTH tires on the ground. Ain't happening unless you disable the ABS system.
Let me explain it in another way. I can pop a fairly high wheelie in TC setting 1 before the TC system begins to detect differences in wheel speeds and the power is curtailed and the front end comes back down. I'm exploring the ABS system in the same way. I want to see if I can pop up the rear wheel at speed while both wheels are rotating and see how the system behaves at various levels of braking and speed. I actually never lock up my front brake when performing a rolling stoppie. I always let off just before I come to a stop and roll away again without putting a foot down. Hence why I describe it as a rolling stoppie vs. an endo.

Btw your reply was quite harsh. Rather insulting and unwarranted I must say.
Porschenut is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 12:59 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,490
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
Btw your reply was quite harsh. Rather insulting and unwarranted I must say.
Nope, it was all in good fun to a answer a rather obvious question.

ABS is designed to stop the bike in control and in the shortest possible distance. Therefore, both tires will remain on the ground at all times to accomplish this. Allowing the system to lift the rear and make it dance around on the pavement is not in control. The ABS algorithms prevent exactly what you're trying to do. It's not like traction control where the bike will keep going forward with the front end in the air slightly. It's ABS and it wouldn't be a very good system if you could do what you're attempting to do.

If you want to do stoppies, turn it off.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider
 
Porschenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 592
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Nope, it was all in good fun to a answer a rather obvious question.

ABS is designed to stop the bike in control and in the shortest possible distance. Therefore, both tires will remain on the ground at all times to accomplish this. Allowing the system to lift the rear and make it dance around on the pavement is not in control. The ABS algorithms prevent exactly what you're trying to do. It's not like traction control where the bike will keep going forward with the front end in the air slightly. It's ABS and it wouldn't be a very good system if you could do what you're attempting to do.

If you want to do stoppies, turn it off.
Ahh I see the situation much more clearly now. Thanks! The "aha" moment is when you explained that allowing the back end to come up would not be a system that is providing more control. That makes a lot of sense. What confuses me is that in all my testing of the ABS I can feel chatter at lower speeds just before lock up but I never feel any chatter when applying hard braking at higher speeds. Maybe I'm not using enough brake at high speed to even activate ABS or the chatter isn't noticeable at that speed.

Regardless, I won't bother trying to stoppie the bike anymore.

cheers
Porschenut is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,490
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
Ahh I see the situation much more clearly now. Thanks! The "aha" moment is when you explained that allowing the back end to come up would not be a system that is providing more control. That makes a lot of sense. What confuses me is that in all my testing of the ABS I can feel chatter at lower speeds just before lock up but I never feel any chatter when applying hard braking at higher speeds. Maybe I'm not using enough brake at high speed to even activate ABS or the chatter isn't noticeable at that speed.

Regardless, I won't bother trying to stoppie the bike anymore.

cheers
The ABS does not function below 5 kph (3.1 mph). You may be feeling this as you come to a complete stop and the system turns off. And I doubt you're feeling chatter (which is the tire skidding on the road), and more of the ABS cycling (pressure applied and removed to the disk brakes).

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider
 
Porschenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 592
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
Yes that's correct. When I refer to chatter I'm speaking of the electronic brake pulsing and not tire skidding.
Porschenut is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Champion Rider
 
Ninja Johnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 330
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
Yes that's correct. When I refer to chatter I'm speaking of the electronic brake pulsing and not tire skidding.
You might be interested in reading this.

http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-ne...id=134122&pg=2

KIBS was design to improve the ABS functionality even with fade, and the Kawi engineers have put a lot of effor into keeping you from feeling any pulsing. That being said, I have had my ABS come on and felt a pulse in the rear brakes in the rain.
Ninja Johnny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else not like the 4th gen? OneSLOW10 General Motorcycle Discussions 73 06-09-2014 10:22 PM
Gen 4: ABS vs Non-ABS KAWI KILBURN The ZX-10R 56 05-10-2014 06:18 PM
4th gen x 2 shinde92 Pictures and Videos 2 05-08-2014 07:19 AM
I almost bought a 4th gen, but settled for a 2nd gen... strkd50 General Motorcycle Discussions 21 02-10-2013 09:04 AM
New 4th gen'r jowek70 The ZX-10R 27 06-14-2012 07:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome