1st trackday- advice? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-17-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

1st trackday- advice?

Just got all my gear, and am going to go pretty soon probably. My "local" track is Jennings GP; I think I will have a blast.

I have a few questions though from the trackday enthusiasts.

1) Right now I have a brand new pilot power front, and a brand new Metzler M3 rear. I was thinking of having one set of tires for the street, and one reserved for track which I can hopefully get a few trackdays out of. Should I get a new PP rear, and remove my PP front, and keep that set for the track? Then I would buy a new M3 for the front to have matching street tires. Or, I could use M3s on the track, but I'm pretty sure the PPs are better, yes? OR- just keep my current setup for the street, and buy some takeoffs to use at the track... Also, are there guys at most tracks that will change out your tires for you?

2) Is the padding in the Motogp cowhide suit good enough? I think it is only CE approved in the shoulder and elbow. I think I will be getting a back protector, but do I need anything else? Not made of money, so "need" is the key word here :)

3) Anyone know if Racerailz are approved for Jennings? Their site says the rails are CSS and WERA approved... so can I use them at Jennings?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-2008, 09:44 PM

Posting Frequency

Drink LOTS of water or powerade.

1) Id use the PP's for the track. I have Metzeler Racetechs, they are very grippy, come in different compounds, cheapish to buy. You want max grip even if your not going use it all yet, it leaves you some room for error.

2) Your leathers should be fine, GET A BACK PROTECTOR! I had a crash in December and the medic said the back protector took most of the impact, I had to buy a new one but im still walking.

3) NFI

One more thing, if your going quick, be careful overtaking slow guys, they tend to dart all over the track.

Have fun!
post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-2008, 09:44 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchandler View Post
Just got all my gear, and am going to go pretty soon probably. My "local" track is Jennings GP; I think I will have a blast.

I have a few questions though from the trackday enthusiasts.

1) Right now I have a brand new pilot power front, and a brand new Metzler M3 rear. I was thinking of having one set of tires for the street, and one reserved for track which I can hopefully get a few trackdays out of. Should I get a new PP rear, and remove my PP front, and keep that set for the track? Then I would buy a new M3 for the front to have matching street tires. Or, I could use M3s on the track, but I'm pretty sure the PPs are better, yes? OR- just keep my current setup for the street, and buy some takeoffs to use at the track... Also, are there guys at most tracks that will change out your tires for you?

2) Is the padding in the Motogp cowhide suit good enough? I think it is only CE approved in the shoulder and elbow. I think I will be getting a back protector, but do I need anything else? Not made of money, so "need" is the key word here :)

3) Anyone know if Racerailz are approved for Jennings? Their site says the rails are CSS and WERA approved... so can I use them at Jennings?

Thanks for any help!
I would focus on safty gear first...
get some frame sliders and start buying tires

For your first track day though I wouldnt worry about your tires to much.
I would recomend getting some pirellis for your next outing IE DCIII's till you start moving I had bad luck with the PP's

Smiley
nesba # 936 http://www.nesba.com/
CCS # 936 wingnutzracing.com
Sponsors
Twisted-powersports.com
DCDECALS.net
http://ask2geeks.com/
http://www.superbikeitalia.com/
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
That is why god made fast motorcycles"
Hunter S. Thompson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2008, 10:01 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

+1 on the back protector.

Also, frame sliders definately do help if it turns bad.

Otherwise, as said above, drink a lot of water and hydration drinks. You'll sweat a lot. Also, EAT. I have a bad habit of not eating and then being knackered at the end of the day...

If you are an average rider, most tyres should be more than good enough. PP are definately so.

If you've been reading books ie Twist etc. It's real easy to get onto the track and go into blast mode. Take a session to know the track, then try a few things during the sessions. Difficult but worth it in the long run...

Then... Just have fun... Enjoy the day. It's NOT a race day and there are no prizes, so ride within your limits and try get the bike home in one piece...

Oh yes... Do as much prep on the bike before you go. It gets rushed if you are trying to sort the bike, get scrutineering done, sort gear, etc on the day. Minimize the stress...

Last edited by Nutter34; 04-17-2008 at 10:04 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 PM

Posting Frequency

Dont forget to take a nervous sh*t BEFORE you put your leathers and boots on...... Seriously....
post #6 of 7 Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Take your time, learn track first. Leave the fast guys alone they have been doing it for years.

BKK
post #7 of 7 Old 04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter34 View Post
+1 on the back protector.

Also, frame sliders definately do help if it turns bad.

Otherwise, as said above, drink a lot of water and hydration drinks. You'll sweat a lot. Also, EAT. I have a bad habit of not eating and then being knackered at the end of the day...

If you are an average rider, most tyres should be more than good enough. PP are definately so.

If you've been reading books ie Twist etc. It's real easy to get onto the track and go into blast mode. Take a session to know the track, then try a few things during the sessions. Difficult but worth it in the long run...

Then... Just have fun... Enjoy the day. It's NOT a race day and there are no prizes, so ride within your limits and try get the bike home in one piece...

Oh yes... Do as much prep on the bike before you go. It gets rushed if you are trying to sort the bike, get scrutineering done, sort gear, etc on the day. Minimize the stress...

i don't have a back protector yet. but i use 2ct's no problem because i ride with in my limits. which is hard to do when your getting passed by 600's and super mototards.

and ask the track instructors for advice also. usually they'll fellow you around the track and help you with body position and form. or they'll have you fellow them and try to show you a better line or braking marker etc,etc,etc.......

have fun

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in