1st track bike choices - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

1st track bike choices

I have been riding street for many years and own a 2008 zx 10.I am going to race classes this summer and want to buy a second bike for track/street/ and a bit of stunt wheelie.I want to get more aggressive with my riding and want to take it slowly.I plan on having this bike for 2 to 3 years and only mods I want to do are sprocket and exhaust.I want to get the most out of this bike stock to challenge and better my riding skills.Also a bike that is easy to work on myself.I am currently thinking about

2002 Kawasaki zx6
2003 Kawasaki ex500
old faithful 2000 Kawasaki zx-7
2003 Honda cbr 900
2003 Honda cbr 600

I want to keep the purchase price low so when I crash it I am not crying about my loss, just fixer up and keep going.I am just starting out and I don't plan on winning any races but are theses bikes to old to be competitive?I know a lot has to do with the rider not just the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a bike that I bought just for track days. Its an 05 GSXR600, I got it from a guy that had raced it for 4 or 5 years and it was already set up as a track bike. Sharkskinz, everything was safety wired already, suspension was fresh, came with extra chains and sprockets, front and rear stands and it even had a nice steering damper installed. I paid less for it than I would have paid for a worn out street bike, plus all of the track-only mods were already done.

I'd be looking for somebody elses track bike, regardless of make or model. Converting a street bike to a track bike is a pain in the ass. Taking the lights and mirrors off, taping some of them up, flushing the cooling system, then take it home and un-do all of it... Fuck that noise.

Also, street riding ruins track tires and street tires don't work very well on the track. My track bike never sees the street and my street bike has never been on the track.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Im not a stunter, so can't comment there, but the list you have is kinda old to be competitive with modern races. Not that you couldn't race them, just may be more of a challenge. Which class do you want to race? An '04-'08 600 would be good in my opinion and some retiring race bikes should be in the market for a decent price.

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-25-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the info.I would like to race 600 cc class but thought maybe the bigger bikes would be less competitive?
post #5 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 04:39 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
I have a very nice 2007 GSX-R750 I am willing to part with for a reasonable price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140413_074647.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	325514  

Last edited by or10r; 05-26-2015 at 04:41 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 02:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I have a very nice 2007 GSX-R750 I am willing to part with for a reasonable price.

Your selling the Gixxer.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
Your selling the Gixxer.
I think so Techx. It takes me at least a day to get ready to go to the track and another to get everything unloaded, cleaned and put away when I get back. Its a two and a half hour drive one way to the closest track and a track day is over 200 bucks not counting fuel, food and drinks. So two days of my time. Five hours driving and at least 250 bucks all for a MAX of two hours ride time. Thats with 0 red flags. (Of coarse there are always those). It just doesnt add up. Im looking into racing shifter carts.

post #8 of 17 Old 05-26-2015, 05:35 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I think so Techx. It takes me at least a day to get ready to go to the track and another to get everything unloaded, cleaned and put away when I get back. Its a two and a half hour drive one way to the closest track and a track day is over 200 bucks not counting fuel, food and drinks. So two days of my time. Five hours driving and at least 250 bucks all for a MAX of two hours ride time. Thats with 0 red flags. (Of coarse there are always those). It just doesnt add up. Im looking into racing shifter carts.

Well sorry to hear that but it makes sense with the track so far away. I'm lucky the track is just 30 minutes from my house. Shifter carts should be fun though.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-27-2015, 04:24 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
Well sorry to hear that but it makes sense with the track so far away. I'm lucky the track is just 30 minutes from my house. Shifter carts should be fun though.
Yeah it kinda sucks. But honestly I never dreamed in my life I would be able to even own a street bike. Much less two. Much less get to do three years of track days and The Speed Academy. I mean sitting on my 10 speed looking in the Honda shop window those things seemed an eternity away so Im really grateful for what I have been able to do. I haven't given it up yet but the carts look appealing. The cart track is open 7 days a week so I would never have to wait for a track day. Its only 40 minutes over so I save 3 hours of driving. All that and the fact that its 56 bucks for the whole day vs. 205 for a track day. Its almost a no brainer.

post #10 of 17 Old 05-27-2015, 05:52 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I bought an enclosed trailer for those exact reasons. I don't have the hours of load/unload/load/unload and that removes 90% of the stress of getting to and from the track. Now I just wake up the next morning and pull out of the driveway.

Why don't you race the bike? Your then at the track for more than a day so you don't spend so much time driving and it's a lot more fun than doing laps for nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in