1k or 600 for track days (what do you guys like?) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

1k or 600 for track days (what do you guys like?)

Curious to know if you 10 owners liked riding the track with a 1k vs a 600.

I would think that a 1k would be better for fast tracks and 6's for technical tracks.

1) How was the transition from a 1k to a 600?

2) How was the transition from a 600 to a 1k?

3) Screw it and have both a 600 and 1k!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to 06BLK10R Send a message via Yahoo to 06BLK10R
#3 for Me Trackbike 01 Gsxr 600, Streetbike 06 Zx10r
Love my 6 for the Track pretty easy to throw around.

LIFE IS 2 SHORT SO LIVE IT TO YOUR FULLEST........
2006 BLACK ZX 10R
Akra CF Exhst,stomp grip,Attack rear sets, CZ Anodized Blk wheels,Power bronze rear hugger,Pwr Cmdr,Hel braided Brake lines,Puig sliders,Puig Windscreen,Kawi seat cowl,520 Chain Conversion.
2001 GSXR 600 RACE BIKE

------------------------------------------------

www.myspace.com/ninjapat66
http://bloxstarzlifestyle.com
post #3 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 PM

Posting Frequency

If you are interested in learning to ride the correct way a 600 is the best tool to learn how to be smooth. Contrary to popular views, piloting a litre around the track requires skills most corner parking throttle monkeys don't have which is why they usually toss their shite down the track. Two things happen with litres in less than experienced hands: 1- Overcook corners (usually after a straight) which result in a dual sport experience or 2- Getting passed by a little 600 and in a fit of ignorance grab to much throttle and put themselves and the bike into asphalt luge mode.

600 and 750s are small and nimble and teach you how to keep your corner speed up and get good drive out of the corner. Their 'controlability' inspires confidence and gives you a better skill set for transitioning to the more powerful litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 01:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0phet00 View Post
If you are interested in learning to ride the correct way a 600 is the best tool to learn how to be smooth. Contrary to popular views, piloting a litre around the track requires skills most corner parking throttle monkeys don't have which is why they usually toss their shite down the track. Two things happen with litres in less than experienced hands: 1- Overcook corners (usually after a straight) which result in a dual sport experience or 2- Getting passed by a little 600 and in a fit of ignorance grab to much throttle and put themselves and the bike into asphalt luge mode.

600 and 750s are small and nimble and teach you how to keep your corner speed up and get good drive out of the corner. Their 'controlability' inspires confidence and gives you a better skill set for transitioning to the more powerful litre.
well said brother this is why im trying to find a wrecked cbr600rr to become my track whore

post #5 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0phet00 View Post

Words to live and learn by

BD

post #6 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Posting Frequency

Fast

First you learn to be fast on the slower bike grasshoppa!

The size of the tracks you ride have a lot to do with it as well. I ride the tracks here in Sicily and generally they are smaller than most of the tracks in the states. My 10r and 929rr are great fun, but the 600's kick my ass in the corners... It is all about corner speed and the 6's are a great platform to learn that skill on. When it comes down to it.. the 6's are not by any means slow these days!

You can always go bigger later..
post #7 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to luckz88 Send a message via Yahoo to luckz88
dpends on which track you are talking about. At VIR i like to run on the litre bikes. When i go to CMP i like a 600 better there. So its hard to say
post #8 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

logical words of wisdom gentlemen. I thank you all.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM

Posting Frequency

i admit that, atleast in first gear, my 10 is out of control. i place as much weight as i can up front and no matter how i do it, the front wheel comes up at about 50 mph with full throttle everytime. considering that first gear takes you to 103 mph, id be better off with a 600. i only bought a 1000 cause i was gonna buy a used bike and figured it would be harder to abuse a 1000.

i miss the good ol' days when i would whip my 500 around all day.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Posting Frequency

I did it backwards and learned on the track with a Gixxer 1k. I came from a dirt bike background so I learned throttle control there. I absolutely love the 1k power on the track but I agree with the others that you will learn to REALLY go fast on a 6er.

I ride an 01 Gixxer 6er on the track and an 05 ZX10 on the street. With the smaller tracks I ride in Arizona and New Mexico the 6er will keep up with most liter bikes....depending who is on them.

Good luck and keep safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in