04 ZX10 v BMW - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
browserzx10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia, Victoria
Posts: 406
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
04 ZX10 v BMW

So i had a trackday on sunday at one of the smaller tracks in victoria Australia (broadford to be exact) had one session where i went out behind one of the new BMWs.

well i made up the ground i was behind on him (about 100 meters) but man the traction control on that thing just gives it enough of a jump to stop me getting him under brakes at the next corner, although i made up huge ground under brakes i just wasnt close enough, had it had been for a race win i would have taken a huge dive up the inside and hoped for the best, my corner speed was better as was my braking but just needed a little more drive, in saying that he didnt pull anything on me once he got the little jump, and i was able to hold him down the straights.

not sure what im trying to say but i guess im just saying that traction control in teh bmw seems to work very well.

I didnt forget, i just didnt remember
browserzx10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
GP Star
 
Quick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,152
Posting Frequency
Images: 5
           
I remember your 10 is pretty well equipt suspension/brake wise but I don't remember what if any engine work you have had done. Seems impressive that the BMW couldn't pull you down the straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
Quick10 is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
browserzx10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia, Victoria
Posts: 406
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
I remember your 10 is pretty well equipt suspension/brake wise but I don't remember what if any engine work you have had done. Seems impressive that the BMW couldn't pull you down the straight.

I actually have a dedicated race bike 05mdl, the road bike has been sold as has the good suspension it had, but the race bike has been tweaked to work as it should, it is an 05mdl zx10 that was raced in the Australian superbike series back in the day, the engine was standard when i recieved it except the undercut gear box is still in it, I have since put the carrozeria wheels on it the brembo calipers and braketech rotors (that were fitted to the road bike and are now on the race bike) the head was removed and the cylinder head was blue printed c&c ported and machined 09 race inlet race cam fitted along with thinner head gasket and a bit trimmed of the head also, all the valve seats where recut, and competion spings and retainers fitted, the front suspension has been fitted with 30mm ohlins cartridges, and the ohlins rear shock that came with the bike has been retained, the head stem of the frame was pulled back to make the bike tip in better (its very stable in a corner, not so stable in a straight line) on the dyno it only made 160 rwhp, but the midrange is imense, like a v-twin, it pulls out of corners like nothing else ive ever riden. I was a bit astounded that the beemer didnt pull away on the straights either, like i said earlier if i was in a race and it was the last lap i would have taken a big dive under brakes and hoped for the best... that beemer sure did sound angry though, it didnt move around at all on corner exit, and the noise it made when changing gear with the quick shifter (i have the dynojet QS fitted) sounded awsome. Im guessing with a better rider that beemer would have flogged me, but it was nice to know that on this particular day that it didnt, lol.

I didnt forget, i just didnt remember
browserzx10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 05:20 PM
La Flama Blanca
 
9R to 10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stonewall, La
Posts: 7,720
Posting Frequency
Images: 102
           
Good post and story, but not much point unless you guys switched bikes and took the rider out of the equation, for all we know you could have been a much much better rider than him, or equal. We all know by now the BMW would be a heavy overdog for all but the best modded first gens. I think the one area the first gen might have a edge would be nimbleness. Power, electronics, chasis and brakes the BMW is worlds ahead of your average first gen. So I would guess, rider! Especially since you were catching him on the brakes. And no, I'm not saying I would buy the BMW , it has no soul, but I have to admit its one heck of a first effort for BMW


"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
9R to 10R is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
browserzx10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia, Victoria
Posts: 406
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
oh yeah i forgot, got a full akro on it as well as pcIII and ignition module, any weight that could be shaved of the bike has been. it really is a fun bike to ride, i also had some one on one tuition with a tutor who hold the lap record for the supersport class at that particular track, so i learnt a lot of new things and ways to get around corners better and corner entry also.

I didnt forget, i just didnt remember

Last edited by browserzx10; 01-17-2011 at 05:28 PM.
browserzx10 is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
La Flama Blanca
 
9R to 10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stonewall, La
Posts: 7,720
Posting Frequency
Images: 102
           
^^^^^ I was writing mine while you were posting your, yeah, definately not your average First Gen.


"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
9R to 10R is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
browserzx10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia, Victoria
Posts: 406
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9R to 10R View Post
Good post and story, but not much point unless you guys switched bikes and took the rider out of the equation, for all we know you could have been a much much better rider than him, or equal. We all know by now the BMW would be a heavy overdog for all but the best modded first gens. I think the one area the first gen might have a edge would be nimbleness. Power, electronics, chasis and brakes the BMW is worlds ahead of your average first gen. So I would guess, rider! Especially since you were catching him on the brakes. And no, I'm not saying I would buy the BMW , it has no soul, but I have to admit its one heck of a first effort for BMW
Just a note to all, im not bagging the beemer at all, like wise a agree that its a fantastic first effort for BMW to make such a good bike, i have no idea who the guy was who owned it or even rode it, i went loking for him later on in the pits when i had some time and could not find him, i guess he must have packed up and left as it was a hot day and most were leaving early, i must also not that i had better corner and entry speed as well, my race bike is a very well sorted package, if my suspension guy was there i might have fitted some heavier springs to the front as i was bottoming under brakes and could not brake as late as i would have liked without the rear lifting to much. Im def not the fastes guy out there either, but it was fun trying to find a way past him i guess, what i was tring to say is that i was impressed with the exit speed that beemer had, it really loked very tidy on the exit.

I didnt forget, i just didnt remember
browserzx10 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM
La Flama Blanca
 
9R to 10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stonewall, La
Posts: 7,720
Posting Frequency
Images: 102
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by browserzx10 View Post
Just a note to all, im not bagging the beemer at all, like wise a agree that its a fantastic first effort for BMW to make such a good bike, i have no idea who the guy was who owned it or even rode it, i went loking for him later on in the pits when i had some time and could not find him, i guess he must have packed up and left as it was a hot day and most were leaving early, i must also not that i had better corner and entry speed as well, my race bike is a very well sorted package, if my suspension guy was there i might have fitted some heavier springs to the front as i was bottoming under brakes and could not brake as late as i would have liked without the rear lifting to much. Im def not the fastes guy out there either, but it was fun trying to find a way past him i guess, what i was tring to say is that i was impressed with the exit speed that beemer had, it really loked very tidy on the exit.

And jsut imagine the electronics on the 4th Gen are supposed to make the BMW's seem arcaic. Imagine what the 4th gens gonna do at the club level with those electronics.


"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
9R to 10R is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
browserzx10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia, Victoria
Posts: 406
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
as far as im aware kawasaki australia arent racing in any classes this year, so it will just be a private team if there is one racing, i cant imagine seeing one being raced in club level racing here, everyone buys gixxers and hondas for that, you can buy an ex Aussie superbike for 16k and have most of the goddies left on the bike bar telemetry and motec stuff, engine and suspension are usually left in.
But id sure love to race the new zx10, i just dont have the cash to buy new and race club level, or any level for that matter. Ill stick with my old girl.

I didnt forget, i just didnt remember
browserzx10 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Champion Rider
 
wheeliest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PHX, AZ
Posts: 469
Posting Frequency
  
Send a message via AIM to wheeliest
first all, maybe he was holding back, no body wins trackdays... :shrug
wheeliest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camshaft zx10 04 inlet to zx10 08 in exhaust side?? theatiss Performance and Tech 14 12-07-2010 09:29 AM
will a 06-07 zx10 front sprocket work on a 05 zx10 zx racer The ZX-10R 3 06-15-2010 08:22 PM
New zx10 model The ZX10 TS Horsepower king jake318 The ZX-10R 44 01-03-2010 08:18 AM
2008 ZX10 vs 2009 ZX10 vs 2010 zx10 ghost057 General Motorcycle Discussions 7 12-09-2009 03:59 PM
04 zx10 upgrade: 06 zx10 vs 05 zx6 front brake system Gremlin Performance and Tech 2 08-26-2007 10:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome