LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

*** Spoiler - MotoGP Lemans Preview

SETUP REPORT 18/05/2010
France beckons Fiat Yamaha to continue stunning start

Le Mans track

With a win and a podium each so far this season, Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi will arrive at Le Mans this weekend with high hopes of continuing their victorious start to the season. The Fiat Yamaha pair lie first and second in the championship after two races, with Lorenzo four points ahead of Rossi following his magnificent home victory last time out.

The Spaniard turned 23 two days after Jerez and the memory of his first home MotoGP win was still fresh in his mind as he celebrated his birthday at home in Barcelona, following a successful one-day test. He cannot help but feel confident for another good weekend in Le Mans, where last year he kept his head to win by 17 seconds as the weather wreaked havoc on all around him, and the season before he finished second despite riding with two broken ankles. The Mallorcan has one other win at Le Mans, in 2007 on the way to his second 250cc title.

The French Grand Prix in 2009 on the other hand is one that nine-time World Champion Rossi would rather forget, plagued as he was by a catalogue of mishaps and visits to pit lane before limping home in 16th position. His previous record at the famous French track is exemplary however, with two wins for Yamaha in 2008 and 2005, as well as one other win and six podiums in all classes. Another two weeks off has given him time to fully recover from the shoulder injury that hampered him in Jerez and he will be back on top form and shooting for the top this time out.

Le Mans is most famous as home to the iconic 24-Hour race but the MotoGP also draws a huge crowd every year. The first part of the track is the most difficult in what is not a particularly technical circuit, with the high-speed, uphill turn one giving way to several tight chicanes. The remainder of the track is made up of short straights and hairpins calling for a set up that yields both balance and control under hard and repeated braking and a quick transfer from full braking to full acceleration on the exit of the corners.

Jorge Lorenzo - "An amazing and crazy race!"
"Despite our victory in Jerez and taking the lead in the world standings I continue to think that I am not the favourite because the season is very long and it has only just started! I am very proud however because Jerez was my first victory at home in MotoGP. Last year I won in Le Mans in an amazing and crazy race. It was a very complicated because of the rain and drying track, but I think that everybody in our team did an unbelievable job, above all on Sunday. I know that I used everything I had, from the very first laps right to the end. I hope the fans aren't waiting for a repeat this weekend! Of course the weather is always a risk in Le Mans, but I hope for sun. I've been on the podium twice there, last season and when I won my second 250cc title, so I am looking forward to trying again. I've had almost three weeks since Jerez and I know that I am ready for this second European race."

Valentino Rossi - "Back to full strength"
"My shoulder is more or less recovered now so I hope I will be back to full strength in Le Mans. Despite the disaster of last year's race, Le Mans is a good track for me and the Yamaha always goes well there. The biggest problem is the weather, but after last year I think we deserve a sunny French GP! We've made a good start to the season, with the win in Qatar and then another podium, but we have also struggled with the bike in some areas and so we need to try to improve our performance. We had a good test after Jerez so I hope that we will be able to use that information to start strongly here."

Wilco Zeelenberg - "Looking to carry on our good start"
"After Jorge's brilliant win in Jerez everyone has had another long rest and now we're excited to get back to work and carry on our good start to the season. There is a very long way to go and we won't get too excited, but just try to continue in the same way. Le Mans has been a good track for Yamaha in the past and last year Jorge had a great win there in very difficult circumstances. Hopefully the race will be a little more simple this year, without the rain!"

Davide Brivio - "Something to forget"
"We have something to forget in Le Mans after last year, when it rained, we had some difficulties and took no points! In general however Le Mans is always a very good track for Yamaha and we have had some good results there in the past. We hope for good weather this time. We have started the championship very strongly and our aim now is to continue this trend and remaining close or at the top by taking as many points as possible. We really hope to do well here in order to put us on a good footing for the busy period of June and July, when the championship will really start to take shape."

Valentino Rossi : Information
Lives: Tavullia, Italy
Bike: Yamaha
GP victories: 104 (78 x MotoGP/500cc, 14 x 250cc, 12 x 125cc)
First GP victory: Czech Republic, 1996 (125cc)
First GP: Malaysia, 1996 (125cc)
GP starts: 229 (169 x MotoGP/500cc, 30 x 250cc, 30 x 125cc)
Pole positions: 58 (48 x MotoGP/500cc, 5 x 250cc, 5 x 125cc)
World Championships: 9 Grand Prix (1 x 125cc, 1 x 250cc, 1 x 500cc, 6 x MotoGP)

Jorge Lorenzo: Information
Lives: Barcelona, Spain
Bike: Yamaha
GP victories: 27 (6 x MotoGP, 17 x 250cc, 4 x 125cc)
First GP victory: Brazil, 2003 (125cc)
First GP: Jerez, Spain, 2002 (125cc)
GP starts: 130 (35 x MotoGP, 48 x 250cc, 46 x 125cc)
Pole positions: 35 (9 x MotoGP, 23 x 250cc, 3 x 125cc)
World Championships: 2 (250cc, 2006/7)

Le Mans: Record Lap
V. Rossi (Yamaha) 2008, 1'34.215

Le Mans: Best Lap
D. Pedrosa (Honda) 2008, 1'32.647

Grand Prix Results: Le Mans 2009
1. J. Lorenzo (Yamaha) 47'52.678
2. M. Melandri (Kawasaki) +17.710
3. D. Pedrosa (Honda) +19.893

16. V. Rossi (Yamaha) +2 Lap

E. [email protected] W. www.yamaha-racing.com

If you have nothing nice to say - "Shut the [email protected] up"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

...it is going to be good... as usual.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Valentino Rossi

The third Grand Prix of the season got underway in France this afternoon and Valentino Rossi started the weekend in strong form by finishing the first practice on top of the standings. His team-mate and last year's race winner Jorge Lorenzo finished third on an unusually sunny day at the famous Le Mans 24-Hour track.

Rossi and his crew had made some significant improvements to their setting during the Jerez test and they were rewarded with immediate gratification today, as the Italian felt comfortable and fast on his M1 right from the start. Le Mans is accepted as a good track for Yamaha and it looked just that today as the World Champion lapped consistently in the top three before moving into first with his final lap. This was despite some lingering pain in his recovering shoulder, which he hopes will ease as the weekend progresses.

Lorenzo, who recently turned 23, was masterful in the wet here last year and looked equally happy in today's sunshine, overcoming a small electronics problem at the start to find a good setting and turn out a string of laps in the 1'34s. He finished the session in third behind Casey Stoner and just 0.140 seconds off his team-mate.

Valentino Rossi - Position: 1stTime: 1'34.402Laps: 28
"I'm really happy about this practice and especially about my last lap, which was very quick. During the test after Jerez we got a better understanding of the problems we had and managed to improve our setting a lot, and that's where we've started from today. It's good to be this fast already. Unfortunately I still have some pain in my shoulder in the two or three hard braking areas, but I hope with the adrenaline tomorrow and Sunday it will be better and won't cause a problem. Our bike is historically very good here and it feels great in the twisty parts especially, so we're hopeful for a good weekend."

Jorge Lorenzo

Jorge Lorenzo - Position: 3rd Time: 1'34.542Laps: 31
"At the start of the session we had a small problem on one bike with the electronics but we swapped to the other bike and things were okay from there. Little by little I found a good pace and at the end I was able to do a lot of laps in the '34s. My bike feels good here - as everyone says it is always a good track for Yamaha - and although we are still struggling a bit in the acceleration I am feeling good."

Davide Brivio - Team Manager
"A good first session; our job went quite smoothly. We just made a few small adjustments and the results were good, so we're working in the right way. The only issue is that Valentino still has some pain in his right shoulder, which is disturbing him a bit in the hard braking areas. Anyway despite this we were fastest so we've done a good job and now we'll look to continue with a few small improvements tomorrow."

Wilco Zeelenberg - Team Manager
"We're pleased with our start today and we were very consistent in practice. We had a few small problems at the beginning but we solved them quickly and then worked on two different settings, comparing them and finding some plus and minus points to both. Jorge's lap time is already good and he's third and very close. Tomorrow we will look at ways to make some more small steps to hopefully gain a couple of tenths, but this is a good start."

Fast start for Tech 3 in home race

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team made a positive start to its all-important home race at the Le Mans circuit in France today.

Colin Edwards overcame an early set-up issue to impressively climb his way up the rankings into sixth position at the session's conclusion, the Texan ending with a best time of 1.35.089 in a closely contested opening practice that saw the top eight split by less than a second.

The iconic Le Mans circuit has been a happy hunting ground for Edwards with two of his 11 MotoGP podium finishes scored at the French venue. And Edwards finished just 0.100s behind Dani Pedrosa to finish top satellite team rider.

Ben Spies took full advantage of the hot conditions to demonstrate once again that he needs little time to master a new circuit and post competitive times against the world's elite MotoGP riders.

Spies has never ridden at Le Mans previously but he was instantly able to set a consistently fast pace in the 1.35 bracket as temperatures soared to 28 degrees. As his confidence grew, Spies climbed into the top six at one stage before he settled for a hugely encouraging eighth position. Spies again accomplished his first objectives to finish inside the top ten and be less than a second off the quickest pace. The 25-year-old's best time of 1.35.291 was just 0.889s away from Valentino Rossi's best pace and just over 0.2s away from a place in the top six. Spies is confident that overnight set-up changes to his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 YZR-M1 machine will enable him to narrow the gap to the leading group and improve his position on the timesheets tomorrow.
Colin Edwards - Position: 6thTime: 1'35.089Laps: 26
"I am not as happy or comfortable as I thought I would be at this track. I know this is a good track for me and also the Yamaha, but at the moment I just don't have the comfort level to enable me to push as hard as I know I can. I don't feel comfortable going into the corner and on the exit I'm losing too much. I had the same sort of issue at the last two races and even though I've got a completely different balance on the bike now, I still seem to be struggling. I need the bike to be a bit smoother and less nervous. We can make it better and I know my guys at Monster Yamaha Tech 3 will figure something out because they always do. I don't think the set-up is that far away but I just need to refine it. This is a massive race for Tech 3 and Monster, so I'm determined to improve and put on a good show on Sunday."
Ben Spies - Position: 8thTime: 1'35.291Laps: 27
"It was a pretty good session. Early on the main focus is just to learn the track and I felt good pretty much all over the track apart from a couple of points that I figured out right at the end to get in a good lap time. The track doesn't have anything super tricky to learn but I've still got to get my bearings at Turn One a little bit, but for just one hour I got a lot accomplished. We can make some changes and I'm sure we can find a bit of time in the bike. The front-end can be dialled in a little bit better. But because I don't really have the experience at this track, it is hard to know what the bike is capable of. But I feel like there's a couple of tenths in the bike and me. I'm under a second off the best time and in the top ten and that is my target right now. I don't believe in the next session I'll be running at the front, but I can certainly cut the gap and move up a bit more."
Circuit Length: 4180
Temp: 28
Weather: Dry
Lap Record: 1'33.678 (Valentino Rossi, 01/01/2005)
Fastest Lap Ever: 1'32.647 (Daniel Pedrosa, 18/05/2008)
Last Years Winner: Jorge Lorenzo

2010 MotoGP France - Le Mans 21/05/2010
Free Practice
Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Total Time
1 Valentino Rossi
Yamaha
ITA 1'34.402
2 Casey Stoner Ducati AUS 1'34.508
3 Jorge Lorenzo
Yamaha
ESP 1'34.542
4 Andrea Dovizioso Honda ITA 1'34.625
5 Daniel Pedrosa Honda ESP 1'34.989
6 Colin Edwards
Yamaha
USA 1'35.089
7 Nicky Hayden Ducati USA 1'35.223
8 Ben Spies
Yamaha
USA 1'35.291
9 Aleix Espargaro Ducati ESP 1'35.450
10 Marco Melandri Honda ITA 1'35.643
11 Loris Capirossi Suzuki ITA 1'35.685
12 Marco Simoncelli Honda ITA 1'35.959
13 Hector Barbera Ducati ESP 1'36.009
14 Randy De Puniet Honda FRA 1'36.086
15 Mika Kallio Ducati FIN 1'36.292

If you have nothing nice to say - "Shut the [email protected] up"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-23-2010, 09:10 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Great race for third, SPEED aired it at 8:00 AM EST. But my cable guide listed NASCAR. Always check SPEED.com more accurate.
JLo beat Rossi straight up. But next race is Rossis backyard. WTF Stoner? R U done? Crying in the damn pit? Feel bad for him actually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in