Your Investment Portfolio - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Your Investment Portfolio

I know this is a motorcycle forum, but I am just wondering if anyone else on here invests in stocks and other types of securities. I have been curious if anyone else does but haven't found any threads on it. If you do, what is your current portfolio mix and investment style.

As I have learned, you never know where you could get a good idea and make some money. More money means more parts for the bike, better tasting beer, and financial freedom.

My current portfolio consists of:

BRK.B - Berkshire Hathaway
SATC - Satcon Technology
C - Citigroup
MO - Altria
WM - Waste Management
SCCO - Southern Copper
WFT - Weatherford
NM - Navios Maritime
DSX - Diana Shipping

I try to maintain a total portfolio dividend ratio of 3% or more. I enroll my dividend paying stocks in DRIP programs. I like to have a mix of small, medium, and large caps but focus more on long-term trends to diversify my portfolio. I try to find long-term trends and buy into them a minimum of 3-5 years before than start to heat up with the possibility of holding the stock for 7-10 years. Some stocks of course do have a shorter time frame. I always like to have one speculative stock. Limit of 10 stocks per portfolio.

I use a mix of charts, trends, economic conditions, investor mentality, and my own thoughts to dictate my investment actions. I do take more into account but don't want to create too long of a post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I do, but you probably wouldn't recognize anything in my portfolio. I am entirely in Canadian securities because (1) favourable tax treatment for Canadians investing in Canadian dividend paying stocks, (2) I trust our market more than the US market right now. I don't see any prospect for the US market - and the US dollar - improving relative to the Canadian market in the foreseeable future.

My portfolio is all about dividend income. If it doesn't pay a dividend, I don't own it. Top 5 holdings (all TSX listed)

NFI.UN New Flyer Industries - largest publicly traded manufacturer of transit buses in North America
CPA.UN Capital Power Income Fund - electric power plants
JAZ.UN Jazz Air Income Fund - basically a subcontractor to Air Canada - I bought this at the extreme depths of the 2008-2009 recession/depression when everyone thought Air Canada was going to go bankrupt ...
SRV.UN - operator of Jack Astor's and Alice Fazooli's restaurants (I don't know if you have those in USA, I think it's a Canadian chain)
STB Student Transportation - school bus operator.

So, we have a manufacturing company, a utility, an airline, a restaurant chain, and a school bus company ... are we diversified? (other than all being Canadian companies) - yeah, I watch Jim Cramer, even though he doesn't address the Canadian market much.

Part of my strategy is to NOT own what "everyone else" owns. I don't own any banks, I don't own Research in Motion (never have), I don't own any tech companies, I don't own any telephone companies. I do have some energy in the portfolio but only small and mid cap - not Big Oil, returns are too poor. I do have a small position in Manulife but I bought in cheap around 12 bucks, I'm not among the many people who rode this all the way down from 40-something ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I just got into the stock game this year. Moving slow for now, but I got some older friends I take advice from.

My main is a penny stock that is expected to take off sometime soon

VRAL- Viral Genetics Inc
AMHD- Amelot Holdings Inc

I also have a few ounces of gold because that's always a win.

'07 SE- Lots to party with.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Cargill Inc. stock
Vangaurd Winsor II
Vangaurd Primecap
T. Rowe Price small cap
PIMCO Total Return
Gold
Silver
I got hit pretty hard during the down turn but Im pretty much back where I was. I still have a few before I retire so hopefully for me it pans out.

Last edited by or10r; 10-27-2010 at 04:55 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 05:14 AM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

physical silver and thats all. Used to do gold but it wont multiply like silver.

post #6 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i bought Ford when I went low and so far have tripled my money, Im just glad I didnt jump on GM

lotta newbies, where did all the regulars go?
post #7 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 02:24 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I haven't been too active since all hell broke loose.... had something of a diverse, but a few companies SCREWED my ass!! Had a long time with some of the "opps, sorry we fucked up" companies.

-Josh

Just a Playa In Management Position
post #8 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

The recession/depression is what prompted me to bail out of mutual funds and start buying individual dividend/distribution paying stocks.

Buying Ford a while back was a darn good move that I wish I'd done myself.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #9 of 11 Old 10-26-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I love dividend paying stocks:

MO @ 8% Smokers always smoke, huge moat, owns UST and 50% market share
WM @ 3.5% Trash is always there plus waster to energy plants
NM @ 4.2% Invested internally when others weren't and great management
SCCO @ 5.2% One of the best copper miners and investing internally

These are just some of the reasons why I like these companies and why they will help make the dividend payouts likely to continue and grow larger over time.

Enroll them into DRIP and you'll compound your return even more.

Berkshire's management is top notch even without Buffet and they have great businesses. I have been in this stock for years now. I took a hit on it when the market crumbled and didn't like when they split it since it is more volatile now but will continue to hold it for a very very long time.

There are a lot of great Canadian companies. Once I build my second personal portfolio back up, I plan on starting one that enables me to trade foreign stocks on foreign exchanges. I had to sell most of it to fund my last couple of years in college.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I used to to big in them. Blue chips mostly for the security and dividends. Lost my mind for a bit with all the craziness thats been going on. Sold all of them and have been waiting for sanity to return to the market. I was expecting to see some "Perp walks" but since it seems fraud is not considered a crime on Wall Street anymore I bought a Corvette, new Camaro, and a bunch of bikes with the money.

I had alot of fun and some great memories for when I'm living under a bridge in retirement. lol Not really I've got a commercial rental property paid for and House paid off plus my Army retirement. I'll survive but wouldn't be surprised to see the whole system collapse in the near future.

I've been saving again and I have a decent chunk. I've been waiting for the next big dip, Blue Chips again but I will probably invest a little in emerging alternative energy companies also. I figure if the biggest companies disappear we'll have more important things to worry about than losing a fiat currency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
investing stocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in