Yamaha issue safety recall notice - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-17-2006, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Arrow Yamaha issue safety recall notice

I know that there are a few R1 people that use this site- I have just read that in the UK Yamaha have issued a safety recall notice, part below which I got from MCN. I dont know if it affect the US but thought I would give you a heads up to check with your dealers.

Yamaha has issued a press release announcing safety recalls for models including the XV1600 Wild Star, R1, FZ6, FJR1300, TDM900, MT-01, XV1700 and XT660R/X.
The release is reproduced in full below, and all owners of affected machines will be contacted by Yamaha to advise them of the steps needed to rectify their machines.

"As part of Yamaha’s policy of constantly monitoring the quality and performance of its products, the factory has instigated 2 Product Safety Recalls.
The first of these Safety Recalls has identified a potential defect in the gearbox of certain XV1600 Wild Star models. In extreme cases, this defect could result in the transmission locking with possible loss of control by the rider. As our Customers’ safety is of paramount importance, riders are advised to stop using their machines until they have been modified by an Authorised Yamaha Dealer.
XV1600 owners on our database will receive a letter very soon advising them of the steps to take to have their machines rectified.

Below is bit important for R1 owners

The second Safety Recall concerns the Throttle Position Sensor fitted to certain YZF-R1, FZ6N/S, FJR1300/A, TDM900/A, MT-01, XV1700PC & XT660R/X manufactured between 2002 and 2005. In a small number of cases, the idle speed may become intermittently unstable, causing the engine to stall.
In the same way as the XV1600 Safety Recall, owners of the affected machines, held on our database, will receive a letter very soon advising them of the steps to take to have their machines rectified. They can continue to use their motorcycles in the meantime.
On behalf of the Yamaha Factory and Yamaha Motor UK, we would like to apologise to all affected customers for this inconvenience and assure them of our best attention to rectify the problems at the earliest possible time."

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?pa...NEWS_NEW-BIKES

Not a biggie but worth checking
Stalker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

the tps and other things are the reason I got rid of my 04 R1. The tps sensor almost got me killed, I was pissed to say the least. Brand new bike working great and all of a sudden it starts dieing on me everywheres I go, including in an intersection, that was scary and I almost got hit by a car travelling 70 kph. That and my engine sounded like a bag of bolts just before I got rid of it. Best decision I ever made, my kawi runs awesome and treats me right !!!! Oh and that tps cost me $460 to get replaced because I had it done before the recall, 6 hours of labour. Yamaha only alotted for 1.2 hours in the recall, so since the dealer spent so much time on diagnostics I got screwed ........... I owned three yamahas, only one that was any good was the 03 r6, wicked bike, tough as nails, but my 01 R6..... battery after one year started leaking acid all over my frame swingarm, destroyed everything and yamaha wouldn't pay for it. My second gear went, all of these problems many others had but yamaha wouldn't do anything about it. Luckily I wrote it off and hit a pole, best thing that ever happened to that bike, sadly enough. Anyways so after 3 yamahas and headaches here I am on the new 10r and loving it !!!!! I had two issues, both of which kawi stepped up and fixed right away. I think I know what brand I will be buying from now on, especially since they don't just turn their backs but actually step up and fix the problems they have ! customer service means a ton to me !

Last edited by martian; 10-17-2006 at 08:30 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I recognize that head-in-the-sand approach ... sounds more German than Japanese!

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in