Witenessed a bad wreck today - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Witenessed a bad wreck today

Man I hate this crap. We had some decent weather today and our club has a club meeting and ride every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month. So we have the meeting with some breakfast and during the meeting we usually do a meet and greet and set some ground rules out for the new people.

One of the first things we say is have fun, ride safe, and lets all make it home. I hate working accidents and last season we had way too many of them.

We one of our good friends who just happens to be the original owner of my bike borrowed one of our friends 2004 R1 today to ride with us. We get about half way thru th ride out in one of the small towns that leads us to our section of roads that we ride on. Well Tom (on th R1) deciedes to pass most of the people in the front of the group. He is around 100ish and as he comes up on a mini van the van deciedes to stop for no reason in the middle of the road as they seem to be unsure if they want to turn or not.

Tom locks up the brakes and tries to make it around the passenger side of the van and impacts the van on the right rear corner. Tom then is throw up and into the back end of the van and completely destroys the back of the van with his body. I mean shatters the back windows and pushes the back end of the van in about two feet and from what witenesses said liefted the van 2ft off of the ground.

Luckily the occupants of the van were comepletely unhurt, Tom was not as lucky.

After he comes to and evacuates his lunch in his helmet we had to restrain him while directing traffic and waiting on the EMS to show up. They end up airlifting him to one of the local hosipitals.

Outcome so far is shattred pelvis and some missing teeth but othet than that and some bruises he is ok.

The R1 was demolished. Split the upper triple clamp in half on top and bottom, removed the forks from the bike, shattered every piece of glass and I mean anything that was glass in the instrument cluster, tore and shattered the complete front end off of the bike, and crushed 3 of the headers into the block of the bike completely flat. Suprisingly the frame of the bike is ok, as is the motor, swing arm, and rear wheel.

His gear played a large part in his survival, Arai helmet and leather jacket, over the ankle boots, and gloves.

I hate to share this, I am glad he is alive and will make it out ok after about 6 months in recovery.

Please everyone I know new season is upon us but please be careful out there. This is not something I enjoy doing or witnessing nor do i ever want to ever again.

Be safe and have fun but most of all come home safe.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 06:59 PM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Damn! Sounds like he's lucky to even be alive, much less looking at a recovery at all.

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 07:02 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sorry to hear, hope he heals quick. Sad to happen but now the newbs know what you mean!

Three things that don't remain hidden for long, the moon, the sun and the truth!
post #4 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

i wish tom a speedy and full recovery and i hope we dont have to read alot of these kinda posts this summer
post #5 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Sorry that happened. I hope your riding buddy fairs well.
I've been hearing too many stories like this, this early in the season. I'm thinking I'm going to be taking it easy on the roads this year, I hope everyone does the same.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by natisfinestzx10r
i wish tom a speedy and full recovery and i hope we dont have to read alot of these kinda posts this summer
same here... hopefully this summer will be a safe one

s anonymous member
post #7 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I bleed Green!

Posting Frequency

The gear diffently played a big part of saving his life. Today comin back from Daytona a Harliey had a blow out Man and Woman no helments they didnt make it. Not to take away from Tom but please guys wear your skid lids. Check out the squid thread if you want to see what happens when you dont wear your gear.
Tom

Riseing Sun 2000 ZX-6R
Green 2004 ZX-6R 636
Every day is a new beginning.
www.stealeyconstruction.net
post #8 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM
DJL
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow,

really sorry to hear that. Hope your friend comes back strong. How are his spirits and attitude? Hopefully he is not so freaked that he won't ride again...

It is definitely all about the gear. We really don't have a fight chance without it.

Cheers
post #9 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Glad your buddy made it through his crash. Too bad the Harley folks weren't wearing lids. RIP. Arai saves another one.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-04-2007, 10:06 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

prayers sent on wishing your friend a speedy & full recovery.

Wonder if he will ride again? (want to)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in