Windows Vista - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to BigDally
Windows Vista

...well, she's not quite ready for mainstream yet, but I've been playin' around with the betas and the RCs, and have to say that RC2 is lookin' purty sweet. Hardware compatibility is good, def has better driver support. Games acutally work now (), and the OS is more refined and optimized. Threw together a PC out of same spare parts layin' around the ole PC room here (yes I'm a geek ), and it runs it fine. Nothin' special, purty much a mainstream box by current technology standards (875 chipset, 3.2 presshot, 1GB RAM, 250GB IDE HDD). Now I am using an "old" 6800 Ultra graphics card (), but still I think the user base for Vista will be just fine (just give her plenty of RAM).

Wonderin' if your PC will run any of the four "retail" Vista flavors (scheduled to retail Jan 2007)? Then click here.

D

Big Dally

Last edited by BigDally; 10-22-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 01:46 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

yep, i plan to upgrade if the need is there but will do so with a new system, really don't need to but for todays games my amd 3200 with an ati 9800 pro is old school.

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #3 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 02:05 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to djblacksuperman Send a message via MSN to djblacksuperman Send a message via Yahoo to djblacksuperman
im not 100% sure, but my gf works at staples, and she was sayin that the only thing your comp HAS to have is 1GB of RAM... she's gonna get me a copy ASAP and i'll put it on my PC, my laptop has only 512 mb of ram so i can throw it on there, i'll let everybody know about it asap tho...
post #4 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 02:07 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to djblacksuperman Send a message via MSN to djblacksuperman Send a message via Yahoo to djblacksuperman
hey big dally... how hard would it be for me to upgrade my dell laptop to run vista??? i wanna update the HD, the ram, and put a dvd burner on it, but i wasnt sure if it would be cheaper for me to just buy a new lap top later on... any idea??
post #5 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 03:00 AM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Not to be negative....OK to be negative! XP was the all singing, all dancing, never crashing OS. Patches, holes, security problems, fixes that didn't. Most people I've talked to have very little trouble with XP, but most people don't do much with their computers. From personal experience, I've had more grief with XP than I did with 95. I've had problems that Microsoft gave up on trying to fix! If I didn't have some Windows ported programs that I use, I'd go to Linux (Unix). I know I could run an emulator, but heck I'd be right back where I started from. Some one on the forum has a sig that says something about playing the installation disc backwards and you hear the devil, forwards and it installs XP. No truer words those. I just wonder what you'll hear on the Vista install disc.

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblacksuperman
hey big dally... how hard would it be for me to upgrade my dell laptop to run vista??? i wanna update the HD, the ram, and put a dvd burner on it, but i wasnt sure if it would be cheaper for me to just buy a new lap top later on... any idea??
Well mang, first off I have no clue what you have, so shoot me a PM and we'll chizzy chat. Secondly, go to the link below, download, install, and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (it's small and unintrusive), and it'll give you a good idea where you stand (hardware and software wise), and what version would run best on your particular PC.

WVUA.

....and no I don't work for MS nor am I trying to sell anyone on their OSs. Just had a bit of fun playing around with the latest OS build, and thought I would share.....

D

Big Dally
post #7 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 08:28 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

vista is not very compatible w/ alot of programs. Especially the antivirus/firewall I have.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblacksuperman
im not 100% sure, but my gf works at staples, and she was sayin that the only thing your comp HAS to have is 1GB of RAM... she's gonna get me a copy ASAP and i'll put it on my PC, my laptop has only 512 mb of ram so i can throw it on there, i'll let everybody know about it asap tho...
...well here is the "minimum" system requirements, for a "basic" (translated "dog assed slow") user experience with Vista....

Name:  vista.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  31.5 KB

....when I ran the upgrade advisor on my test PC, it recommended Vista Business edition (since I didn't have a TV tuner card, otherwise it would prolly have recommended Ultimate). I snagged Ultimate anyways, and it runs fine (base score of 4.2).

Click image for larger version

Name:	score2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	21305

D

Big Dally
post #9 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja2k5
vista is not very compatible w/ alot of programs. Especially the antivirus/firewall I have.
....yeah .. I remember when I was testing XP RCs that there were several proggies that were not happy. On my main box (not the test one), the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor cussed about several apps, but absolutely declared it wouldn't work with Nero 7. Hopefully, by the time it RTMs, that will be better as application makers update their proggies and get 'em Vista ready. If you are still interested by the time it goes retail, make sure you update (and or download the latest) Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (supposedly it will be updated as hardware/software compatibility improves), and run it. This will tell ya if your proggies still have issue with the OS, or if there are patches, upgrades, or even updates for the issues from Windows Update.

D

Big Dally
post #10 of 10 Old 10-22-2006, 12:38 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

as always, wait at least 6months, a major upgrade patch, sp1 will follow to work out the kinks, and cruise along. but, i bet if you do just avg stuff on your home machine, you wont need vista.

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in