LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Where Hoffa? (Harley strike)

there will be no employee of the month for sometime

Strike Shuts Down Harley-Davidson Plant

Updated 2:13 AM ET February 2, 2007

YORK, Pa. (AP) - Union workers began a strike against Harley-Davidson Inc. at midnight Friday, picketing at the company's largest manufacturing plant.

More than 50 workers gathered at the main gate of the company's York facilities as the strike began, said Tom Boger, a union representative for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local 175.

Boger said the company installed cement barricades to block access to all gates, even empty parking lots.

The strike comes two days after unionized workers rejected the company's contract offer and authorized a walkout.

In anticipation of the strike, the company shut down production at the plant on Thursday.

"We are obviously disappointed by the union's decision," Fred Gates, general manager of Harley-Davidson's York operations, said in a statement Thursday. "The proposed contract was structured to help manage future costs that could be detrimental to our business over the long term."

The statement also announced the suspension of production of the company's Touring and Softail motorcycles.

The company said its proposal included annual wage increases of 4 percent over three years. But part of the increase depended on the union agreeing to contribute toward health insurance coverage; unionized employees currently pay no premium. It also would have doubled the company's 401(k) retirement plan contributions and created a two-tier wage system under which new hires would be paid less than current ones.

Boger said the union was prepared to return to negotiations.

"We'll wait for the company to call us," he said.

The facility employs more than 3,200 union and nonunion workers

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 06:19 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Good Deal I support the Union and their Decision

lotta newbies, where did all the regulars go?
post #3 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

That's a hot topic ... The traditional "big 3" manufacturing plants in this province are all headed downhill while Toyota and Honda and all their suppliers are taking up the slack, and guess what the big diff between a Honda plant and a GM plant is ... The CAW is crying the blues, but the net effect on the province's labour market is a wash ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #4 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Wonder how they feel about those harley tattoos 90% of them probably have?

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
post #5 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Miami
Wonder how they feel about those harley tattoos 90% of them probably have?

post #6 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketracermike
The company said its proposal included annual wage increases of 4 percent over three years. But part of the increase depended on the union agreeing to contribute toward health insurance coverage; unionized employees currently pay no premium. It also would have doubled the company's 401(k) retirement plan contributions and created a two-tier wage system under which new hires would be paid less than current ones.
If this is the whole story then it seems like a decent deal for the workers. Guaranteed 4% per year for 3 years+ double 401(k) contribution. C'mon, the way healthcare costs are out of control there's no way companies will/can continue to cover the full cost. My company has gone from covering the full insurance cost to where I pay about $250/month for a family. The total cost is about $1,200 per month
post #7 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 10:35 AM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10Duran
Good Deal I support the Union and their Decision

Hope they stay out on strike for a couple of years. That'll show 'em.

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

HD York Plant lock out.

Losing 400+ bike production per day, prices gonna go up, and the lottery is coming back:-)

SG

Green is fastest.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

merged

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
post #10 of 32 Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 PM
CMG
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I showed this thread to my buddy who work(ed) at Bombardier ( the Airplance manufacturer that just laid off about 3000 people.

Text below is from him

Fucking unions are ruining everything, I was suspended for two weeks because I picked up some trash that was on the ground on my way out

i.e picked up a can and dropped it into trash can 10 feet away, why you ask ?

because the person who was supposed to pick up trash complained, ( our lots are filthy because the fuckers don't do their job in the first place )

Believe it or not this guy made $6 per hour more than me ( I went trade school for two years )

we should know that there is something wrong when unions start forcing companies to start paying $22 per hour to people incharge of picking up can's off the parking lots

Then we wonder why Americas went from a manufacturing economy to consumer economy.

quit bitching and make sure your unions are working for your betterment and not ruining your future by making companies incompetitive

Dave

Last edited by CMG; 02-02-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in