What's up with LEOs sometimes? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

What's up with LEOs sometimes?

I don't want this to be a "FTP" thread. I'm actually interested in what might have been the reason for this. Maybe some members who are LEOs could explain what the reasoning or thought process behind this sort of tactic is because I am at a complete loss beyond thinking this guy was just a total dick.

So I just got my new Pilot mounted on the back . I'm just leaving the dealership and on my way back home from the dealer. Mind you I'm still waiting for everything to get warmed up and whatnot and the road I am on is really twisty. New tires are a bit slick so between the bike still warming up, me getting settled in the seat, and the rear tire being fresh I figure I"m going to go slow. Coming around one of the sharper turns and going into a small straightaway I maintain my speed and spot a LEO on the side of the road with his radar. I am going 25MPH +/- in a 25 zone. Seems legit to me.

The cop wheels out right behind me and rides right up on me. When I mean ride up, I am talking about maybe 3 ft or so off my rear tire. I was blown away that someone who is supposed to help keep order and peace would endanger someone's life like this. What if I had to stop abruptly because someone running into the street (densely populated area btw)? How is he going to react fast enough with a 3ft following distance?

My first thought was that he was running my plate. Fine run it but why come up that close. And if your eye site is bad enough where you must get that close to read it, why are you carrying a firearm or even driving for that matter?

I was going to pull over to let him blow by me or just pull me over already but I figured that at about 3ft away, decelerating would be a bad idea. And accelerating to gain some following distance would probably really make this psycho go nuts.

In the end I didn't get pulled over or anything. He eventually went straight when I had to go right at a stop light. What's the deal with that guy though?

Anyone else have problems with a cop riding up that close and following you for about 1/4-1/2 a mile?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

IMO, he was trying to intimidate you into doing something stupid. I've been followed like that in my old car (bright orange 1970 mustang fastback with big tires and obnoxious exhaust) and my motorcycle before...
post #3 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 06:15 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Tailgating is putting you in harms way and illegal. I would be tempted to go down to the police station and file a written complaint against him. You know he's out there doing it to others, and you might be the one to prevent this ASS from doing it again.
post #4 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah exactly. It's illegal. Why do it when your supposed to enforce the law?

The thing is that the PD in question is sort of notorious in my area for being a bit off kilter. If I went in there and complained, I wouldn't be surprised if I got arrested for it.

Tailgating your Mustang is nowhere near as dangerous as a motorcycle. I've had jackasses like this go real close when I'm in a car but what would possess you to do that to a MC rider?

Last edited by anaxagoras1986; 08-22-2010 at 12:46 AM.
post #5 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 06:27 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

had one run up on me so fast he had to skid a bit to keep from running into me.
this was over failure to signal

l
l
l
l
v

team FTP
Area p, zx14 nissins and mc
Riflemans 1/5. -1 +1 sprockets w/chrome ek zzz. galfer lines. K&n.,ultra custom black front fender // over 55k miles

Last edited by filthy phil; 08-21-2010 at 06:30 PM.
post #6 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 06:35 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like you're better off not complaining - small town jack-booted thugs!

Last edited by STurner; 08-22-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Edited per anaxagoras
post #7 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

What is unfortunate is that it is these types of jackasses that give so many people a sour taste in their mouth. If I wasn't friends with a few LEOs I think I would have a completely different view.

The ones who are actually "serving and protecting" are generally the ones you never see since they are dealing with crimes. But the jackasses like this seem to make their rounds like no other and prey upon the unsuspecting and law-abiding. Who knows how many people this guy has endangered (or worse). I'm not sure what makes someone malicious like this but I think it is the cowards like this that hide behind the badge (instead of standing in front of it) that can many times give the entire "police" in the area a bad rap. So sad...

Edit: ST Turner saw your post.... Exactly my thinking.

Filthy- yeah you really have to endanger lives for those victim-less crimes. Who know what could have happened if he/she didn't run up on you like that!

Last edited by anaxagoras1986; 08-21-2010 at 06:39 PM.
post #8 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Starbucks Connoisseur

Posting Frequency

Ever seen the movie "Schindler's List"?
Onn how they taunt their victims?

It'll give you a better idea of how The Nazi Regime's aka rogue LE's mentality is wired.

Yes, I know, using the movie for analogy purposes is very subtle at best. But at least it give's you a better idea.

09' Ice Blended Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino
10' Venti Mocha Latte spilled some of it, was too hot
11' Peppermint Mocha W/Extra Shot of Espresso
12' Eggnog Venti Latte
13' Bagel
14' Standard Drip (since a Venti latte went up 20 cents)

Last edited by Static IP; 08-21-2010 at 09:57 PM.
post #9 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

I doubt it was 3 feet but if it was you could have turned around and gave a sign to back off.....you did good though...just hold your line he was looking to see if your nervous about something....or it could have been the Cops in the Movie "Super CoPs" just messing with you "meow"...

bloo
post #10 of 63 Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
I doubt it was 3 feet but if it was you could have turned around and gave a sign to back off.....you did good though...just hold your line he was looking to see if your nervous about something....or it could have been the Cops in the Movie "Super CoPs" just messing with you "meow"...

bloo
.....I love that flick!!!! but to the OP.....it IS better to just have held your line and do what you did....why try and fight it or cause any problems? i'm NOT saying it was right and i sure as hell ain't saying FTP cause everyone says that shit...until you need one! if you're in a smaller town then that's a no win situation from the word go....been there done that and it's better to just leave well enough alone....unless the same officer does this over and over? then you may have grounds to file a complaint or something but even with that, there will probably be repercussions!

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in