What do you feed your DOG ? Need suggestions. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Look Ma! No Hands!

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to NYC_ZX10
What do you feed your DOG ? Need suggestions.

Ive got a 76lbd Male Golden retreiver, a 48lb Female Pit puppy, and a male 1.5 yr old 98lb Pit/Boxer mix.

I've been feeding them Nutro Max Large Breed. Its supposed to be healthy and what not. Only thing Ive noticed that i'm not too crazy is that, their poop is not always firm. It feels on the soft side and sometimes gets stuck on like the grass when I clean up after them and OMG does it smell horrid. I know its supposed to smell but holy cow does it smell.

I've been feeding:

The golden : 2 cups each serving / twice a day

The female pit: 2 cups each serving / twice a day

The monster of a dog: 4 cups a serving / twice a day.

The 2 pits are on the skinny side. I got them over 2 months ago from a local shelter and we all know how that goes. Ive been wanting to bulk them up but after 2 months..the female pit actually lost 3 pounds and although her coat improved alot, i still cant get her to bulk up. The big pit..his coat is improving little by little but hes a huge dog, and still looks skinny. Hes supposed to be around 110lbs to be at a healthy weight for a dog his sz.

Ive been thinking about switching over to something else. A friend of mine who's got 3 blue nose pits said he's had nothing but good results with Eukanuba ?

Anyone care to chime in with some advice? Thanks !

-- Eddie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to kawi10rider Send a message via Yahoo to kawi10rider
I would say feed the ones that are skinny a little more then the other one. But one thing to remember is to try not to switch their dog food, it messes with there stomach. Other then that, i would have them checked for worms. if they are eating allot of grass then they have worms most likely. you can feed and feed a dog and if they are worms they will not gain weight at all. also a multivitamin will help them also. hopes this helps out, i have 3 dogs myself, there almost like kids sometimes. good luck man

you only live once, do what you want
post #3 of 21 Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I have five rescues (my hurricane Katrina rescue alone is 165 lbs) and ideally I prefer Wysong (best food imo, the 40 lbs box even comes in five 8 lbs foil sealed bags) but since I go through almost 200 lbs. a month I go to Costco.

The quality and price of their food is actually very good. I don't know if you have Costco's where you live though.... They get 80% kibble and 20% wet mixed in with it. I can just split a can between all of their bowls before feeding and they really love it.

Amount wise it sounds like you are under feeding a bit but I guess it depend on how much excercise etc that they get too.
post #4 of 21 Old 04-21-2008, 10:45 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Oh sorry, Eukanuba is a high price/protein diet that is good if you have VERY active excercised dogs. It was developed for/by sled dog folks for the Itidarod I think....
post #5 of 21 Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to kawi10rider Send a message via Yahoo to kawi10rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandensDogs View Post
Oh sorry, Eukanuba is a high price/protein diet that is good if you have VERY active excercised dogs. It was developed for/by sled dog folks for the Itidarod I think....

do you know if you can buy this online, sounds like a pretty good dog food, thanks

you only live once, do what you want
post #6 of 21 Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

my dog had the same issues when she was a pup.did some searching around and found a brand called "royal canine".when we put her on that diet her coat got unbelievably shiny,she has more energy,her stool firmed up and she loves it on top of everything.the food is breed specific and I believe is the best stuff around.We only give our baby the best so if you find something better let me know. Good luck

post #7 of 21 Old 04-22-2008, 07:29 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I feed my mastiff pup Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food, its the best stuff PetsMart carries and he's been on it since I got him at 6 weeks, he's 5 months now and already 80lbs. The stuff costs a bit more, $45 for 30lbs, but its really good all natural food.

The website is here; Blue Buffalo
post #8 of 21 Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 AM
OMG Look at that squid!!

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by flthy1 View Post
my dog had the same issues when she was a pup.did some searching around and found a brand called "royal canine".when we put her on that diet her coat got unbelievably shiny,she has more energy,her stool firmed up and she loves it on top of everything.the food is breed specific and I believe is the best stuff around.We only give our baby the best so if you find something better let me know. Good luck
We mix that royal canin with pro plan salmon and rice. We raise Dachsund's and after years of trying different foods, the pro plan salmon has been the best we've found. The royal canin makes a dachsund mix for joints... it's expensive, but can you put a value on their nutrition? We don't.

Because wheelie!!!

17' Honda 1000RR SP - 08' Hypermotard 1100s
16' ZX10R - SOLD
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!

post #9 of 21 Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Mythical Mod of Yore

Posting Frequency

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wicked Send a message via MSN to wicked Send a message via Yahoo to wicked
I feed my dogs bits and pieces of the ex wife...gotta get rid of the evidence somehow

- Doc
post #10 of 21 Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Ervins
I have a 1 year old 101lb female Akita and all she eats is what we eat...She refuses dog food but eats like queen...I wish this were not the case but my wife ruined her by feeding her human food...She's a moma's girl. I don't mind really...Last night she had pork chops, rice, and a half of a chick focia sandwich. The day before was her favorite spaghetti. My old Akita who passed away last year ate anything and everything.

2006 ZX-10R SOLD, 2005 KX250F, and 2007 YZ85
and a Ton of Guns
I will never own a Honda again.

www.ema-usa.com
Motorcycle Parts and Accessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in