Wedding Ring Advice - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Wedding Ring Advice

Hey guys,

Gonna propose to my girlfriend of 5 years over the holidays. Obviously she is awesome and all comments of marriage being a bad idea, etc etc can be withheld as I've basically been "married" for the last few years while living together. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into. *Off of soap box.*

Anyway, need some advice/tips/experience on ring buying from all you married dudes/gals. I have some change squared away, but obviously would like to come out of this thing as unscathed as possible (not that she isn't worth it, but you know what I mean). Internet searches say the average ring was over $5000 last year :headshake

We are a pretty realistic and down-to-earth couple, but I know she is going to want a "nice" ring. Seems like a total waste of money to me, but I digress. Any thoughts, tips, experience, etc is greatly appreciated. We are going to "look" at stuff in a week, thought maybe ya'll could kick some knowledge my way before that happens. Thanks all!

-Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

I have to agree with you in thinking it is a waste of money.

But im sure she thinks a zx10 is also waste of money, so i guess we are even.

From what i hear, you should spend around 3 months of pay for a ring??

And i think you can get a better deal getting more small rocks than one big one.

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #3 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285

Justttt kiddin.

I was int he same boat as you, on Dec 1st I asked her.

My brother just got a ring as well. He went to Jared and got RIPPPPEDDD Off man. I'd stay away from the big places or else they will rape you.

I was lucky enough to have a well trusted jewler that my family has been using for a long time but you gotta shop around man, get a picture of what your looking for and bring it in and see what they have to offer is really gunna be your best bet I'd assume.

Congrats to ya, I've been dating my g/f for 5 yrs since august. Were planning on Feb of 2013 to get married lol.
post #4 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa View Post
And i think you can get a better deal getting more small rocks than one big one.

That reminds me!

if you go from a 1ct to a .9ct you will hardly know the difference and it will be ALOT cheaper!!!! I lucked out big time and got a 1.02ct for the price of a .9
post #5 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
That reminds me!

if you go from a 1ct to a .9ct you will hardly know the difference and it will be ALOT cheaper!!!! I lucked out big time and got a 1.02ct for the price of a .9
That is really true. I used to work for a jewelery store and a lot of customers could never tell the difference. Even the difference between a 1ct and 3/4 of a carat isn't that huge, but the savings definitely is. My 0.2s, don't really focus on size now but go for something that has a good quality center stone. I have seen some big rocks that are plain ugly, with visible inclusions and a yellowish tint :headshake The thing about 3 months of you salary can be ignored too, wouldn't be surprised if the jewelry industry came up with that figure
post #6 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Haha that's a great pic Garth!

And thanks, this is great advice guys. Heard the "3 month rule" and such but I agree it's probably a product of the industry.

Her family has a local jeweler they've done biz with for several years, so that's stop 1 I suppose.
post #7 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I agree with most above. Buy quality not size and I found better deals and customer service with a small local jeweler. I originally went to big box jeweler and was looking at a 1.5 k but it looked a little hazy. Then went to local jeweler and for same price got a smaller 1.2 but its crystal clear and one he made so the chances of seeing a similar is slim.
post #8 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I just purposed last weekend!! Pick out the diamond first!! Get a colorless one with minimal flaws it looks so much better then a bigger yellow one!!

post #9 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Check out the Shane co. If there's one near you and get educated on diamonds first don't go to the mall get one!!

post #10 of 45 Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Between my wife and myself we spent $460 on both rings. I also machined a titanium ring for her and engraved our names and love Took the money most people waste on rings and did some things to the house she wanted done

2011 zx10r
Ducati 996
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in