Vacuums & Allergies - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to BNninja
Vacuums & Allergies

Wife has allergies really bad, they got her on 5 pills and some shots. Well the vacuum went kaput on us today, so I'm thinking of splurging on a nice vacuum that can perhaps help with the animal dander. See what you queers have and if you like them. I know circusnuts has the Dyson and loves it...Kirby is too much for me...I'd rather get some marchesini wheels for $1500.

ANyone have or use a "ionizer" my folks have the oreck one which competes with the sharper image ionic breeze. They also said consumer reports said they dont work...pretty strong words from consumer reports though. Any personal thoughts?

"Bikes are like women: beat them like a whore, they can take it and you will like the moaning you hear."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 01:03 PM
talker of shite

Posting Frequency

Get rid of all the carpets in your house

Has anyone seen my marbles ?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 01:06 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno22
Get rid of all the carpets in your house
And give her the hard wood...floors that is.

I did some research last year for the same reasons I will let you know which one I ended up getting.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 01:18 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

It's a Hoover model U6439-900
post #5 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 01:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You really want a HEPA purifier if you have allergies. Yes, the filters are somewhat expensive, but you can stretch them out. They are OK as long as you are still getting good airflow. Look for a model with a foam pre-filter and an ionizer. Even if the unit doesn't have a pre-filter, you can get a piece of thin foam from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and cut it to fit over the filter. It will make your HEPA filter last twice as long.

I got a Bissell vacuum with a HEPA filter from Sam's for $88, and it works great. Also bought a set of 3 HEPA purifiers from them for $129. This should leave you lots of money left over for mods. :) I leave the purifiers on 24/7 and the air quality is great. Crank them on high when you are vacuuming or dusting.

Dave

The state is the great fictitious entity by which everyone seeks to live at the expense of everyone else. --Frederic Bastiat
post #6 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 01:37 PM
GP Rider

Location: Used to be Candler, NC/ Then HELL in Del Rio, Tx/ Now Blaine, WA
Posting Frequency

If you can't go hardwood floors then get a rainbow vacuum, it uses water instead of bags and traps all the dust etc. We bought one about 8 years ago,(they are something like 1500 also, but worth it) they are bulletproof and even after we changed to hardwood floors my wife refuses to get rid of it.

Also my mom has bad allergies and the doctor recommended one and the insurance paid for it, ask your doctor and insurance about it they may cover it if it reduces her drugs needed to control her problems

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/eng/

Liberal-- A person who is so open minded that their brains have fallen out.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 01:47 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

BN
I have year round allergies. I have a Kirby vac for what little bit of carpet I do have in the home. When I built this house I made sure it was more Hardwood than carpet. I also have a Defender HEPA whole house air filter, and a Ion filter. I also use a HEPA filter for the Blower for the HVAC for the house. Consentrate on filtering the air in your home with HEPA filters. Then find a good vacume. Dysons work well too. Most of peoples allergies are worse at home, because the air inside is up worse than the air outside. It's a bitch to live with, and VERY exspensive. But, it's your wifes health we are talking about.

BK
05-ZX10R
2K ZX-7R
01' ZX-6R<-- Wifes
post #8 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Don't have allergies myself but I do have two large dogs in a small space/hardwood floor. I also smoke.

I had a first Gen. ionic breeze with only two blades and no frills as are offered now.
It worked great in a one car garage size space.

It's kind of like how your tv screen or computer attract dust.

The fact that it's silent is the best part.

I had to clean the blades and the junk on them came from somewhere, so don't know about consumer reports. I broke mine after a year or more and traded it back for store credit.
New ones seem real nice but pricey- they offer deals when you buy two or more.

I now have an Alpine air ionizer/ filter that I crank up when I cook -it helps tremendously.

They can be pricey and hard to find. Check ebay.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 10:17 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-7rking
BN
I have year round allergies. I have a Kirby vac for what little bit of carpet I do have in the home. When I built this house I made sure it was more Hardwood than carpet. I also have a Defender HEPA whole house air filter, and a Ion filter. I also use a HEPA filter for the Blower for the HVAC for the house. Consentrate on filtering the air in your home with HEPA filters. Then find a good vacume. Dysons work well too. Most of peoples allergies are worse at home, because the air inside is up worse than the air outside. It's a bitch to live with, and VERY exspensive. But, it's your wifes health we are talking about.
DITTO on the house filters

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in