US spec CBR1000RR power - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

US spec CBR1000RR power

I read that the US model was nuetered around 10k rpm's compared to the Euro model?? Is this true and where have you guys read or gotten this info from?? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

yes its true, I read it on www.1000rr.net

ZX-10R (Black)
post #3 of 15 Old 05-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hmmmmm..... Did you notice which bike made the most power??
post #4 of 15 Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

The latest Sport Rider with the 08 liter bike shootout mentions the Honda runs out of steam on top as well.

I don't think anyone has figured out why Honda did that to the US spec bike, but I am glad I didn't buy one. I would be very pissed.

Here is the thread with all the known info.

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46210

JJ
post #5 of 15 Old 05-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

prolly the same reason why kawi has been retarding the 600, and now the 10 up top. EPA/DOT whoever's noise regs. I'm told there was a "Gentlemen's" agreement on this a few years ago, but up 'til now Kawi has been the only one to do it. Starting next year, I hear they'll all be doing it. FWIW, if the Honda is anything like the Kawi, it'll be pretty simple to "fix"
post #6 of 15 Old 05-03-2008, 12:39 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Kawasaki View Post
prolly the same reason why kawi has been retarding the 600, and now the 10 up top. EPA/DOT whoever's noise regs. I'm told there was a "Gentlemen's" agreement on this a few years ago, but up 'til now Kawi has been the only one to do it. Starting next year, I hear they'll all be doing it. FWIW, if the Honda is anything like the Kawi, it'll be pretty simple to "fix"
There is no noise testing above 6000 RPM's so why would they do that? I did some research on DOT noise testing and that makes no sense to silence her at an RPM that is not tested.

I don't know the answer, Im just saying why nueter a bike at 10,000 RPMs and suggest it is because of noise regs?

The last I heard about the 08 Honda it was because they were cracking cranks, but thats just internet rumor.

The 08 US spec Hondas definitely gets nuetered at 10,200 RPM's and US owners are not to happy about it.

I might add that full systems dont fix it, so its not the exhaust valve(s) so it must be the ECU pulling timing.

JJ
post #7 of 15 Old 05-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

As I wrote, it was a "Gentlemen's" agreement, so to me that means they were/are policing themselves before the EPA/DOT/whoever does it for them.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-03-2008, 03:32 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Kawasaki View Post
As I wrote, it was a "Gentlemen's" agreement, so to me that means they were/are policing themselves before the EPA/DOT/whoever does it for them.
Can you be more specific Kevin?

The only gentlemans agreement I have heard of from a few years back was the limit on top speed of 186 MPH. I don't see how that would apply to what was being done to the ZX6's that people were undoing with the so called "jumper mod". That bike wouldn't run that speed. They don't test for noise past 6 grand.

I can't understand why they would limit a ZX6 past 10 grand for noise. In fact, why did they do this to the ZX6 at all? Has there ever been anything stated officially?

Why the ZX6 and not the 10 or 14?

I have looked at numerous dyno runs on US spec 08 CBR1000RR's. You can see it on 2 Bros site, AREA P's site and many others. They all peter out at 10,2000 RPM's and it appears the ECU is pulling timing.

Looks like they will have to buy both a Power Commander and ignition module to fix it, according to Dynojet. No one has proven this yet as the parts arent available yet.

It has been a interesting story to follow on 1000RR.net though.

So why was the ZX 6 nuetered? I know I asked a lot of questions but would like to know.

Im gald the 08 10R don't have this problem. There is no place to put both a PC and a Ignition module.

Maybe this gentlemans agreement is to limit HP on liter bikes? Is that possible? That I could beleive, but still wouldnt apply to the ZX6. I can see a HP limit coming though.

Way back in 1988 I bought a new then ZX-10. Motocyclist ran a story on it about Terry Vance buying one with plans to keep it in the crate because he was sure the Guvment would never allow them to keep building them "with this much steam". I remember the exact qoute from the Magazine article.

JJ

Last edited by JimmyJam; 05-03-2008 at 03:38 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-04-2008, 02:10 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to spikespiegel Send a message via Yahoo to spikespiegel
as I owned a 07 zx6r after the major redesign, I can confirm that the revs infact did die down after 14k, HOWEVEr with a simple metal clip (ie. jumper mod) it fixed the problem and the bike pulled clean to 16.5!

Thats one of the things i love about Kawi; they restrict the bikes stock but allow the owner to derestrict as they see fit. Wheras, the Honda is just dying at a certain RPM with no foreseeable fix.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-04-2008, 10:48 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
as I owned a 07 zx6r after the major redesign, I can confirm that the revs infact did die down after 14k, HOWEVEr with a simple metal clip (ie. jumper mod) it fixed the problem and the bike pulled clean to 16.5!

Thats one of the things i love about Kawi; they restrict the bikes stock but allow the owner to derestrict as they see fit. Wheras, the Honda is just dying at a certain RPM with no foreseeable fix.
I still want to know WHY Kawi did this on the US Spec ZX6. Does anyone know that?

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in