trade 05 636 for 04 ZX10? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

trade 05 636 for 04 ZX10?

Okay guys this is my first post and its an emergency. Today I met up with this guy selling a black 04 zx10 (9000mi) for 6300. So I ask him about trading him for my red 05 636 and he tells me that he'll take my bike and 1000 cash. So i take a ride and its incredible. I understand why everyone here raves about the damn thing so much. the concern of mine is that its not exactly short on scratches, blemishes, and dings. looks like the guy he bought it from wasnt worried about keeping it spotless. my bike on the other hand is pretty much spotless except for one or two small nicks and looks like a bike with no miles (has 8000) that has been well kept. so of course i passed on it (playing it cool) and the guy calls me back saying that he will do the trade for 800 and the bike....am i right for wanting to keep my 636 or am I a fool about to miss a deal of a lifetime? help me out fellas......

Last edited by Carlito; 10-28-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Gotta go with your gut, if you think the bike is beaten then pass.

You can always sell your bike and hunt for a clean 10. Winter usually means great used deals specially if you are willing to travel for the bike.

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
post #3 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

thats the thing....i couldnt really tell how bad it was beaten. the frame and swingarm appeared to be fine....and it rode well. but a lot of the plastics were scratched here and there, the right side of the tank was scratched up pretty good, and there was a small crack on the lower fairing close to the exhaust. one of the things i love about my bikes is that sometimes i just like to sit and stare at it in the garage...it bothers me to be so anal about cometics but if im going to give up a damn good bike in its own right; im thinking i should wait and spend more on a bike that has been kept better; or you could argue that i could use the money i save to hook this one up...damn! decisions, decisions....i told the guy i would let him know if we had a deal in the morning.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Nothing wrong with being anal with something your life depends on.

I know what you mean though, I have a "beater" bike that is cleaner than many bikes. I try to let it stay dirty but mechanically kept cause it is my rain bike or park it and leave it bike.
I still have to keep it within reason though or it bothers me.

So I guess my point is if they let it get beat up and don't bother to at least "touch it up," I might wonder about other maintenance.

Any extended warranty? hate to get stuck with a generator about to go or a cracking frame.

You could tell him no and see if he comes back with even trade or less $$.
If he is too anxious though that might make me wonder.

I'm not big on trust but even buying new you can get a lemon.

So it's back to your gut.

The 94rr (beater) that I have now, I bought off a
friend because I checked it out before he bought it.
The bike was clean but the owner also impressed me.

I go a lot by the vibe I get from the person selling the bike.

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
post #5 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

no warranty but, the guy just happened to sell a buddy of mine a bike a while back and he vouched for the dude as far as quality and being a good guy. and honestly, i dont doubt the guys sincerity about the bike being in good running condition but like you said, if he didnt take the time to clean the bike up, im wondering would he even notice if things were wrong until they went wrong. at least if i spent more money on a new one i could take comfort knowing my ass was somewhat covered. I tell you what, riding that thing on the highway today almost made hand over the money....but i have learned to do business on logic and not emotion.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 06:59 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

instead of 1000 bucks. give him 500 and use the rest to buy new plastic.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 07:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to mattfr12
i wouldnt do it if its all scratched up like that you might end up with a piece of shit. how does the tank and the rest of the plastics get all scratched up. i dont think its from taking good care of it. thiers a ton of other 10's out thier for sale that you would have less worries with.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 07:03 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Don't do it! Sounds like he is the 2nd owner. Why does he want to sell? Probably not riding it enough? So what is he going to do with your bike, what is the value of your bike, can he sell it for the balance of the grand he wants from you? I've been burned in situations like this, just watch your self man.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 10:51 PM
formerly GHOST RIDER

Posting Frequency

Don't do it! Stept away from the 10 and get on your 6 and ride away..And don't look back.LOL
post #10 of 14 Old 10-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Hey Dude Trust Me Dont Do It! You Will Regret It!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in