Tomahawk tires - Retreads - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to kissajew86
Tomahawk tires - Retreads

Well I wanted to replace both of my tires and didn't have a lot of $$ and i found the tomakawk retreads...i have read good and bad opinions on them so i figured it was cheap enough to try them out myself and see if they were worth it. I bought a set for 149 shipped, later found a place for 119 for a set shipped. YES a set......

Before people go off and grip about how such cheap tires must be dangerous and all, i dont wanna hear it Unless you personally have used the tire then i think you should keep your opinion to yourself.

I had the conti road attacks on the bike before i put these on. every since i put the conti front tire on i had a vibration in the handle bars. the tire was balanced, tires were aligned however the vibration wouldn't go away. I installed the Tomahawks this evening, they got rid of the vibration in the handle bars for sure, they ride smooth as glass...

New tires for me always are better in tipping into corners because i ride the tires flat down the middle. These tires seems a lot more anxious to tip into the corner's though....almost too anxious, however after i put some miles on it i am sure that will mellow out.....

the conti's had a tenancy to break loose when i would down shift into first and engine break.....the tomakawks had were not breaking loose for sure, so i suspect the middle tread has a softer compound than the conti's

I have only put 70-so miles on the tires, Once i put a little more millage on the tires i will play in some corners and see how well they stick then....

2002 ford mustang v6 turbo charged....

2006 kawasaki zx10, with 2 bro exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 11-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to andrewon1whl
You see all that shit layin on the highway from semi's!!! Shit hate for that shit to happin on a bike cuz your ass will be done!!!
post #3 of 63 Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 PM
VOL
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissajew86

Before people go off and grip about how such cheap tires must be dangerous and all, i dont wanna hear it Unless you personally have used the tire then i think you should keep your opinion to yourself.
Nope never used them.............Because I have seen what happens when retreads come apart. Also before you tell us how great your cheap a** tires are, ride though the life of the tires first. Then tell us what you think.

ZX-10ESSEE
post #4 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 12:12 AM
VOL
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Im just messin with you. You will learn to never ask the members here to hold there opinion. You will just get more of them.

ZX-10ESSEE
post #5 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to kissajew86
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL
Nope never used them.............Because I have seen what happens when retreads come apart. Also before you tell us how great your cheap a** tires are, ride though the life of the tires first. Then tell us what you think.
ill give an update when i have more miles on them, i just didnt see much info on this forum and thought i would put some out there, if everyone is going to bite my head off then never mind...

2002 ford mustang v6 turbo charged....

2006 kawasaki zx10, with 2 bro exhaust
post #6 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

don't worry too much. you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I was told when I was asking about shinko tires.

Darrell

GOTTA REMEMBER: KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN
post #7 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to djblacksuperman Send a message via MSN to djblacksuperman Send a message via Yahoo to djblacksuperman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDX10R06
don't worry too much. you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I was told when I was asking about shinko tires.
i can believe it... i've been thru about 3 sets of shinkos...... no problems for me.... i like the qualifiers A WHOLE lot more, but for the price of the shinkos.... i'll definetly thrash 2 sets b4 i buy some quals... i've NEVER ridden the shinkos on the track... but... on the back roads every weekend, and burnouts and sliding and showing off a lil... they're definetly fine....
post #8 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm not a racer guy, I bought the bike to ride as a second mode of cheaper transportation so I got the high mileage tires. not very good in the corners because of the profile but the wear has been very good.

I have been doing some drags with it at the local strip with small burnouts and still have lots of tread and they hook up like crazy.

Darrell

post #9 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 01:17 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i'm all for saving a buck except when it comes down to safety on the motorcycle...i'm sure the tomahawk tires are fine but i don't want to have another thing to worry about at a buck fifty.....its the same reason i won't ride on a plugged tire...if something lets go then you're screwed...the only people i see using the tomahawk tires around here are the ones that buy the colored ones....but let us know how you like them over time..
post #10 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

you know you just opened another can of worms inside this one right?

I'll run a plug patch tire just as hard as if it weren't.

Darrell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in