Tire psi ?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-29-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to logmannzx10r
Tire psi ??

I have a drag car with 33x17.5 goodyear slicks on the back. We usually put about 6.5 psi in them, but the problem is that the tire only seems to be burning on the edges from what i see in the wheel wells since there is 2 rubbed stripes on each side. So that means that I need to run more psi? right?

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an s.t.d, You wanna hit it but your afraid of the consequences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2006, 10:33 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you saying that the stripes are rubbed into the actual wheelwell? If so I would think that would be a clearance issue. If when you do a burnout and the mark (on pavement) is darker on the edges than in the middle then yes you need more psi, and vice verca if it is darker in the middle than on the edges you need less. Experiment till ya get a nice uniform tire mark (or good times) .Usually works,but by no means am I a know it all dragger. Hope that helps

Lets say somebody breaks into your house and you dont have a gun.How are you going to shoot them?
post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2006, 01:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

more psi if the outsides are laying down more

'05 ZX-10R
'09 Streetglide
post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to logmannzx10r
The tires arent rubbing the wheel wells...there are 2 stripes of rubber in the exact same spot on each well..Its an ex-pro stock car and I have a 600ci chevy motor...and all the other guys that have the same style of car are running like 5 1/2 psi..and when I tried that I just seem to be burning the tire on the outsides...So from experience would tell me that the tire is under-inflated, correct?

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an s.t.d, You wanna hit it but your afraid of the consequences
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2006, 10:44 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAF

SOunds like the sidewalls are stiffer, and theres not enough psi to hold up the middle.

If it was over inflated, it'd stretch out the middle, but not close to the edges cause the sidewall would then hold it closer to the rim, if that makes any sense at all...if not, just go with the

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I used to race, too. I would say that you're underinflated. The other guys might be running a different width wheel. What you're probably doing is cupping the slick. You're slick is just wanting to grab on the outsides because there isn't enough pressure inside the tire to keep the center planted under hard acceleration. I ran a smaller tire, so it's just my .02. Do you get a lot of shake?
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountry10r

SOunds like the sidewalls are stiffer, and theres not enough psi to hold up the middle.

If it was over inflated, it'd stretch out the middle, but not close to the edges cause the sidewall would then hold it closer to the rim, if that makes any sense at all...if not, just go with the
:iamwithst
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke
Are you saying that the stripes are rubbed into the actual wheelwell? If so I would think that would be a clearance issue. If when you do a burnout and the mark (on pavement) is darker on the edges than in the middle then yes you need more psi, and vice verca if it is darker in the middle than on the edges you need less. Experiment till ya get a nice uniform tire mark (or good times) .Usually works,but by no means am I a know it all dragger. Hope that helps
:iamwithst
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2006, 06:38 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

RULE#1: I am always right. RULE#2: In case of doubt refer to rule#1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in