Tire experts? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Tire experts?

Last Tuesday, I went to my local Firestone store and bought 4 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A hi performance tires for my X-Runner.

Got up Wed morning, one tire was completely flat and one other had 20 lbs of air in it....had AAA put the spare and went back to Firestone. They claim their installer has put in the wrong valve stem cores in 3 of the four tires.

Got up the next day, and low tire indicator was on. Took it in and guy said he tightened up one loose valve stem core and tightened all the TPMS whatever.

Saturday, got up and sure enough, low tire pressure indicator on...one low pressure tire on right front.

Took it in yesterday and they replaced all the TPMS kits and o-rings.

Got up this morning and low tire pressure warning was on ....left rear tire only had 24 lbs of air. Going to take it in and get the tire replaced again.

Last night, I checked all my tire pressures (Hot - 2 miles from shop to home) with my digital gauge at 36 lbs....

This morning (cold) pressures were:

LF 33
RF 31
LR 24
RR 31

Any suggestions? Think I have been back there 4 - 5 times in a week now..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Take it somewhere else for a second opinion. Take it to a smaller tire shop where you can deal with the owner who actually has experience with working on tires. Not just a chain store manager.

I'm a mechanic and have dealt with a bunch of different tire places. I found that the large chain store tire places look nice and pretty, but for the most part they have one tech that knows a decent amount about tires and the rest of the people are just people they can hire for cheap to do basic labor. (Hope I don't offend anyone by that.)

I use a tire shop now for my entire fleet where I deal directly with the owner and he built the company from the ground up so he knows his stuff. Also then when there is an issue I don't have to jump through hoops to get it taken care of.

2008 ZX-10R | Black | Arrow Headers | AreaP Slip-on CF | K&N Filter |GUTS ECU Flash By Guhl Motors | Block-Off Plates | Fender Eliminator | Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight | Rifleman's 1/5th Throttle Insert | Speedohealer | Pro-Grip 719s | Vortex Bar Ends | Puig Z DB Windscreen | CBR1000 Mirrors | Vortex 520 Sprockets -1/+1 | RK Gold 520 Chain | Galfer SS Lines | Pazzo Shorty Levers | Vortex Gas Cap | Rebuilt Damper | Lightech Rearsets | Much More To Come
post #3 of 39 Old 09-14-2010, 11:51 AM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

gonna just go out on a limb and say your aren't round anymore.

post #4 of 39 Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I definatly agree with Brat on this one. I have been in auto shops my whole life, 15 as a tech and the last 5 or so managing. I would say find a new shop to deal with this, the only downside to that is your going to pay for it, where firestone although seeminly incompetant at the moment, i assume they arent charging you to fix their mistakes. My advice if you are going to Firestone again, tell them you want the sensors and stems replaced with oem factory parts, not aftermarket. I have seen a few times where the aftermarket ones do not seal and sit as well as the factory units. But the aftermarket kits cost 4x less than dealer, so they get used. I would also assume they have done this already, but make sure to have them clean the rim lip, and the stem hole of any possible oxidation, it takes very little to cause a small leak. If they replace O rings again make sure they lube them so they dont pinch or tear. Thats about all i can think of off the top of my head, i dont know if it will help ya at all, but best of luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.

Last edited by Teeks; 09-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.
post #5 of 39 Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Very good advice above, but I think to be safe I'd remove the wheel on the worst one and get me a good spray bottle and pressurize the tire to Max inflation and soak it down focussing mostly on the stem, inside/outside rim beads, and valve stem along with your sensor location. It may give you the culprit and thus being able to direct the techs. I would have thought they'd do this where you purchased the tires, but in case they didn't, it may save you some hassle. Good luck man!!
post #6 of 39 Old 09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

What size tires are on your vehicle? The stems on a TPMS equipped vehicle rarely leak providing they are installed correctly. The most common leak from new tires, especially lower profile ones, is leaks from the bead. Also, the core on TPMS valve stems is almost identical to a regular stem, the only real difference is the material used. TMPS stems use an aluminum core so the two different metals won't react with each other like they would if they used a brass one.

"The OX"

Last edited by oxthegrunt; 09-14-2010 at 02:51 PM.
post #7 of 39 Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

if you use a spray bottle put a couple drops of dish soap. The bubbles will last longer and make much easier to spot a leak. The 24 lbs is a pretty big drop but what is the temp difference from when they are fulled to when you check. If it 100F in the after noon like it is here and mid sixty in the morning when you check it will trip the tpms.
When I worked in a shop turning wrenches we would air up the tires to 32 because most people like the ride. The tpms would trip if it dropped below 28 psi. The tires that were aired up on a hot day would always have a warning on cold morning.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #8 of 39 Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b03 View Post
if you use a spray bottle put a couple drops of dish soap.
Yeh, drop in a bit of dish liquid, just pull the wheel off and lay it down, then you can pour a bit of dishwater into the groove between the tire and rim, (laying it down means you can pour enough in there to fill it a bit; handy when you are looking for a real slow leak and much easier than trying to spray enough on) and look for bubbles, and also around the stem. Don't forget to check the other side too. Though it really shouldn't be up to you to do this, the shop should be able to find it. Ask the manager to pay for your time if you have to come back, that may make them look a little harder...
I go with what was said earlier about big chain stores, I worked for one over here, nobody really knew jack about anything, and that included some of the guys running the stores.
post #9 of 39 Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

P255/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza tires

post #10 of 39 Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

take off the tires and submerge under water find exactly were the leak is... i like to do that on my customers tires for bikes why not the same for a car... Just need a big ass bucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in