Thinking about a 51... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thinking about a 51...

I think I am going to buy a 51 for the street. My 10 is strickly track bike now cause I sold all my street shit for it and now I need another bike lol. I was looking at an RSVR but dont like what they have to offer around here for me. There is a new 04 51 up the street I might do the do with...

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."-
President Ronald Reagan

Once a Marine Always a Marine Semper Fi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 01:45 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I had one for 3 years...It's a good bike...For some reason alot of people think that they have huge torque but the inline 4's have much more..However, then engine is smooth, relatively fast and has a powerband that kicks in at about 7,000 rpm and barely feels like it's working when you're going fast..Kind of top heavy powerband considering it's a Vtwin...All of the inline 4's will smoke it with EASE...Twist the throttle to the stop anywhere under 6,000 rpm and not much seems to happen...But for a vtwin it is a fast one and if you're not expecting too much it's smooth and fun to ride...It has a really cool winding sound from the gear driven cams and the engine doesn't make any weird noises...

IMHO, the RC51 would be a good streetbike if it wasn't so uncomfortable..1 hour and you're rear is numb and your wrists and neck are cramping and while it's fun to ride it's hard to enjoy it when all you can think about is how much your neck and wrists are killing you...An aftermarket seat and bars are a must on this bike if you want at least some form of comfort.

Pros-

Great looking bike and it's rare.
Smooth, cool sounding engine.
Very stable at speed and planted in the turns.
Very solid quality feeling to the bike.

Cons-

Uncomfortable
Ease of maintenance...Oil changes(remove both fairings) Plus if you need to add a little oil fairing has to come off, air filter(almost impossible to install), and spark plugs are WAY more difficult than they should be.
It's HEAVY
It feels kind of slow until you get to 7k
Slow turn in
post #3 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 01:47 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferd
I think I am going to buy a 51 for the street. My 10 is strickly track bike now cause I sold all my street shit for it and now I need another bike lol. I was looking at an RSVR but dont like what they have to offer around here for me. There is a new 04 51 up the street I might do the do with...

Sweet ride, the rc51 that is. My boy has one and after riding his I was going to get a left over 05 the dealer had until I saw that green glow in the corner of the showroom . I have riden his rc51 a bunch of times and it is a fun bike around town and pretty comfy too. Long reach to the bars over a fat tank, but managable. High mount slip ons, pc, and -1 up front equaled a killer ride. Plus the things sounds like cannons going off with the new cans. Good luck.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 01:55 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I bet you've been spoiled by the 10 the way you've set it up. I know I would. Going to an RC51 may just be a big letdown. It would be for me. As long as you have low expectations (or plan to mod the sh*t out of it) you should be fine.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I loved the RC51 when it came out. A friend of mine has one, and loves it - but he realizes that it's about the same "speed" as a modern 600 and way heavier.

I rode his bike. It feels big, wide, heavy compared to the ZX10R. The LCD tachometer is equally useless. It's interesting, but not my cup of tea.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #6 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Big reason is I have NEVER seen one on the streets...

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."-
President Ronald Reagan

Once a Marine Always a Marine Semper Fi.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 03:05 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferd
Big reason is I have NEVER seen one on the streets...

If the thought of owning something that not everyone has intrigues you then the RC51 should deliver for sure...

Get a good aftermarket seat and some higher bars and the comfort should be solved...Just keep in mind that all of new Inline 4's actually make better streetbikes as they rate higher in comfort, ease of maintenance ect ect...And the tank range on the RC51 is HORRIBLE...That is another con for making a good streetbike...It gets like 25 or 27 mpg and the tank is small. When I think of the word "streetbike" I think of comfort, tank range/gas mileage, ease of maintenance ect ect...And the RC51 is worse than all of the inline 4's in these categories....

Here's another way to put it...Basically, you're going to get a bike that is more track focused (than the I4's) that offers less performance of the inline 4's.

It's still a cool bike and fun to ride around and it has stunning looks...But I don't think I'd ever buy another one unless Honda made dramatic improvements to all of the things I mentioned.

Last edited by Sands; 06-26-2006 at 03:09 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 03:11 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands

Here's another way to put it...Basically, you're going to get a bike that is more track focused (than the I4's) that offers less performance of the inline 4's.
this seems to be the consensus amongst those that have/ had an RC that i know.

BD

post #9 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 03:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If you just want something you don't see on the streets, how about pickin' up that Tamburini you had your eye on a while back?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-26-2006, 03:13 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

A friend of mine from Long Island had one and I had a chance to take it out one time. I never really understood the appeal of V-twins until riding the RC. That was probably about 5 years ago when my current ride was my Abrams-tank ZX9R. The RC definitely has a committed riding position - one reason why the owner (Steve) rode his old CB750 more often. By today's standards, the RC is pretty long in the tooth - needs a Jenny Craig diet and more steam. Fortunately, if you gotta have a twin - and it comes down to an RC or a Duc, you can pick up the RC for a song and throw aftermarket dollars at it and still not be at the admission price of the Duc.

Bottom line, I'd like to have one in my garage just to mix things up a bit. I don't think I could own one a sole bike, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in