Supporting your local dealer - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-16-2004, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Supporting your local dealer

I'm all for supporting your local bike shop and that means sometimes paying a little extra for parts that you could get on the internet for cheaper so I ventured down to my local shop to give them a go. I ordered a tire I knew I could get from a number of online shops for 130 bucks shipped. They charged me 170 dollars for it. Do you think 40 bucks is a fair mark up? This doesn't include mount & balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-16-2004, 01:38 PM

Posting Frequency

Re: Supporting your local dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louks03
I'm all for supporting your local bike shop and that means sometimes paying a little extra for parts that you could get on the internet for cheaper so I ventured down to my local shop to give them a go. I ordered a tire I knew I could get from a number of online shops for 130 bucks shipped. They charged me 170 dollars for it. Do you think 40 bucks is a fair mark up? This doesn't include mount & balance.
You're getting screwed.

Perhaps they'll come down if you let them know that you'd be happy to order it online for $40 less.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-16-2004, 02:03 PM
OG Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to stunnerific_harry
bump that man thats just way too much they are raping you on that price. 40 dollars is almost 1/3 of the other price. im all supporting my local dealer but there are just some things i will support them on.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-16-2004, 02:38 PM

Posting Frequency

Depends on how much someone would have charged you to mount and balance it if you bought it offline. My local charges nothing if you bring him the rims and buy the tires from him. $50 each if bought elsewhere. And some wont even mount it if yo0u bought it from elsewhere
post #5 of 15 Old 07-16-2004, 05:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

That's 30% more. Not fair in my opinion.$15-$20 would be more in line with my expectations.

Xusia, H.S.B.E. (High Speed Bug Exterminator)

Got speed?!?
post #6 of 15 Old 07-16-2004, 05:32 PM
OG Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to stunnerific_harry
if you have a cycle gear near you i think they charge you 10-15 bucks to change it if you bring them your rim.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-17-2004, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Thanks - I think I will order off the net from now on. They will still get $25 for mounting it .. heh - Yeah if it included free mounting it wouldn't be a bad deal at all.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-17-2004, 10:00 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think supporting your local dealer is a great idea. I just don't want to get raped doing it. Unfortunately, my local dealer has told me "we are the only game in town". The last time I checked, their price on a Michelin Pilot Sport rear was $196 PLUS mounting. And the last time I asked, I think mount & balance was $35 for a rear if you bring them the wheel, $50 if you bring in the bike. They will not mount a tire that you purchased some where else. Obviously, I don't use them very often.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-17-2004, 11:40 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta xray
I think supporting your local dealer is a great idea. I just don't want to get raped doing it. Unfortunately, my local dealer has told me "we are the only game in town". The last time I checked, their price on a Michelin Pilot Sport rear was $196 PLUS mounting. And the last time I asked, I think mount & balance was $35 for a rear if you bring them the wheel, $50 if you bring in the bike. They will not mount a tire that you purchased some where else. Obviously, I don't use them very often.
[email protected] THEM. With that kind of attitude, I'd go to another town if I had to. They need to remember who the consumer is, and that customers pay their freakin' bills. <attitudes like that really bother me if you can't tell>

You might also check local tire stores to see if they can mount/balance the tire...

Xusia, H.S.B.E. (High Speed Bug Exterminator)

Got speed?!?
post #10 of 15 Old 07-18-2004, 03:39 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

In this day and age it's all about #1. I'd go where ever I could get the best deal.....end of story!

Hell yeah it's fast..........DUMBASS!

CMRA Novice #921
Chaos Racing BBE #78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in