Stereo System Install help - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-05-2005, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Stereo System Install help

Ok guys, anyone install a system in their car? I am mostly interested in running new speaker wire from inside the car into all 4 doors. I have all the wire, and system ready. Its a 4 door 2002 acura tl type s. The rear doors look ok to work with, run the wire through the inside door piller and into the black casing and through the door. But the front doors, the damn dash is so tight in there with wires and crap, i can barely see anything. Any ideas. This is my second night and still can't figure out the RF speaker wire yet. And please don't say that the stock wiring is good enough, its not. Thanks!!

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-05-2005, 10:23 PM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRoush03
Ok guys, anyone install a system in their car? I am mostly interested in running new speaker wire from inside the car into all 4 doors. I have all the wire, and system ready. Its a 4 door 2002 acura tl type s. The rear doors look ok to work with, run the wire through the inside door piller and into the black casing and through the door. But the front doors, the damn dash is so tight in there with wires and crap, i can barely see anything. Any ideas. This is my second night and still can't figure out the RF speaker wire yet. And please don't say that the stock wiring is good enough, its not. Thanks!!
Don't claim to be an expert, but I spent 20+ years installing car stereo for a living. What have you tried, get close on any of it, talk to me. If you've spent two nights working on this, come down off the ledge!

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-05-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

well, when you say tried, i have been looking, and thinking, and looking, and tugging, and this and that. My big question, and maybe i'll just have to stick the wires in the door side to see if it will pass through, is do most installers just drill another hole in the door, and tape the wire on top of the manufactor rubber hose from the door to the car, and then drill a hole to get the wire in the car? Do they take of the door to get the drill in there? I just don't want to waste all my time on this simple thing, getting a wire from the door into the car if someone has a better way, i'd like to know.

Blue 2004 ZX-10R

- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #4 of 13 Old 10-06-2005, 12:13 AM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

I assume you have access to both sides of the rubber conduit.
If so, what I would try is pushing a coat hanger (covered in tape, so you won't short anything) through the tubing. Try the top of the bundle first. If you can't get past a blockage on the top, try the front or back side. DON'T force it, just push it hard enough to get past hang-ups, not hard enough to force it out the side of the tubing or through a wire (NOOOOOOOO!)
If that doesn't work, try and see if you can pop the tubing off either or both sides (kick panel and door sides), do so and compress it (making it shorter and easier to pass wiring).
If you still haven't made it, or if the fish is through but tight, try some wire lube (aka wire glide) Its' about $7 for quart+ size bottle from Lowe's or Home Depot or an electrical supply house. Get only the clear stuff, not the vanilla pudding color wire glide. Don't be shy about how much you put on there, just make sure it doesn't drop into any live (powered) connectors. Not sure if it would short it out, but not worth the risk.
You'd have hell getting a drill into the tight confines, but as an absolute worst case, you're not keeping the car long, don't care about how butchered it looks, etc., you could take and awl and pound a hole into the door and into the kick panel side. Shudder!
Let me know how it turns out. If these ideas don't work, let me know what you have tried.
Also, I hope you checked clearances on the magnet to window, and tweeter to door panel, so you don't have a disappointment at the bitter end.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-06-2005, 12:23 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRoush03
Go to lowes or home depot and buy a HVAC wire tie. there about 3ft long and 3/8th thick Cut the end off. shove threw gromets tape on wire pull back.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-06-2005, 01:16 AM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczx10r
Go to lowes or home depot and buy a HVAC wire tie. there about 3ft long and 3/8th thick Cut the end off. shove threw gromets tape on wire pull back.
They tend to bend too easily, you need something stiffer, but with flexability. Thin fiberglass rod is ideal, but expensive for a one time shot.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-06-2005, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

gents, great ideas. my problem is that i can access the black groumet thing on the door side, can stick my hand in the door and feel it, it will detach from the door, just trying to figure out when i the wire to the car, how to get it from the dash area? tonight i hope to get it. as far as checking the window etc, no i haven't yet, had to kinda "bang" the hole a little better, crutchfield said it would drop in, it did, after my hammer saw to it (the speaker opening, not the speaker)

Blue 2004 ZX-10R

- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #8 of 13 Old 10-06-2005, 10:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

hmm....depending on where the boot runs from jamb to door, you may be able to access it from under the dash...take the kickpanel out and pull up the carpet....also take off the underside of the dash..... might help
post #9 of 13 Old 10-06-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

if i showed you a pic, thats where i am at, i have the entire front and side of the dash gone, but there is too much crap, airbag, a/c, and just tons of wires.

Blue 2004 ZX-10R

- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #10 of 13 Old 10-06-2005, 10:45 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

let me see a pic of the dash side and the jamb side....maybe also try taking the boot out of the jamb and shine a light into it to see where it comes in at...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in