Stamp collectors - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Stamp collectors

Just curious if there's any collectors here or anyone who knows anything about stamps? I came across 2 boxes full of stamps from the early 1900's and some late 1800's from all different countries. Any help on what stamps are really good or not good at all? I know it's hard without seeing them and I'll try to get pics up soon...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-16-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I'm thinking of bringing it all in to a stamp collector and have them look at it, how do I know if the guys being honest? If he offers me money do I take it?

post #3 of 16 Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDLYN13000 View Post
I'm thinking of bringing it all in to a stamp collector and have them look at it, how do I know if the guys being honest? If he offers me money do I take it?
the old school shops will be honest because they love stamps and will not waste your time. Just because a stamp is old does not mean it's worth anything. I have very old stamps and yes I use to collect stamps when I was 12yrs old and proud of it too call me a geek if you want but also played baseball back then and many other stuff like jumping over 7 people laying down on a skate board and land on another so don't want to hear that geek stuff :headshake....try telling the kids these days it's healthy and you get a BIG

Whatever, there are books you can research but if your looking to sell then do your research old stamps are easy to get the old ones that are worth something is another thing.

bloo
post #4 of 16 Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the response bloo!! I was going through 1 box and I bet there's 3000 stamps in there! I also found an 18 karat gold ring!! I haven't gone through the other box yet... Most of the stamps in the 1st box are from the 1930's and I'm trying to pick out the cool looking ones and google them, I found one that's worth around $10 bucks which isn't bad if I had a bunch of them :) there's also a Dr. Suess book from 1960 in there....

post #5 of 16 Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Get multiple opinions. Scan 'em and put them online.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

^^^ Yeah Im going to call around today and find some collectors that will take a look at them. Theres so many to go through I think ill have to plan a whole weekend with the guy!! There's no way im just going to leave them with him by himself. Im wondering if I should just throw the whole lot on ebay for like $1k starting bid and see what happens or if I should sift through them and see if I have some big money ones!?!? These came out of a storage locker a buddy of mine bought so someone thought they were worth saving for something!!

post #7 of 16 Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

I'd go to a couple of shops and see if their quotes measure up.

post #8 of 16 Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Well I've been digging around looking at these stamps and there are THOUSANDS of them!!! I haven't even scratched the surface, I've found some worth $15-20 bucks a piece and have been thinking about throwing them all up on eBay? Is that a good place to sell them or is there a better spot? I'm seriously sick of looking through these!!! If anyone here is interested throw me some offers...

post #9 of 16 Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDLYN13000 View Post
Well I've been digging around looking at these stamps and there are THOUSANDS of them!!! I haven't even scratched the surface, I've found some worth $15-20 bucks a piece and have been thinking about throwing them all up on eBay? Is that a good place to sell them or is there a better spot? I'm seriously sick of looking through these!!! If anyone here is interested throw me some offers...
Welcome to the stamp world......I spent years and years when a young one 12yrs old getting stamps spending all my allowance money on them some worth $20 back then and still my collection is not worth the time of Stamp Dealers/collectors to buy.

Trying to be honest here your not going to get anything for the stamps unless you find something rare, back in the day and maybe the same today you can find adds to get 1000s of stamps for cheap like I did back then even sub 1900yr stamps in there.....what I did is fill in my stamp book and learned what is worth what by many factors to long to go into in a thread here....bottom line don't expect much unless a dealer verified what you got(if they will take the time ) they are basically not worth much as a Whole you need to find the high price Stamp and maybe able to only sell those ...but yeah gave up on selling mine so far not worth giving them away and dealers don't even want to buy them. badteeth:

bloo
post #10 of 16 Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Damn that sucks! I thought I maybe had something here?? Well at least I found an 18k gold ring in there and got a few bucks for it!! Maybe I should spread them all out over the floor and try to pick out the cool/odd looking ones?? I know it goes on and on with water marks and paper types etc.... So who knows

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in