Security Question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Security Question

Ok, real simple, Computers/Laptops are hardwired and wirelessly connected to the router. I want a password screen to pop up when i click on a shared drive. So if i am on the laptop and want to access my main computer shared drive, i need to insert a password before i am allowed any kind of access, vice versa. I tried cnet.com for a free deal, its all like 30day trial. Anything free out there or something i am not seeing in the WinXP setup? Nothing more complicated than just a password prompt.

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

everything you need is built into Windows. Go to the folder you want, tools, folder options, veiw tab, uncheck "use simple file sharing".

next create a local user acct, then creat the share only giving that use permissions to the share.

map the drive from the remote computer (hardwired or wireless make no difference). the login will be pcname\username and the the password.

It's all spelled out in the handy dandy "Help and Support" in your Start menu

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #3 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I need to do this one of these days, network both my hardwired desktop and my wireless laptop.

If you dont mind Miykl I may pm you and see if you can give me some quick advice...
post #4 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Don't forget that in Windows you have to set two levels of permissions. There's the share level which Mikyl talks about and then there's file level permissions.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10 Guy
Don't forget that in Windows you have to set two levels of permissions. There's the share level which Mikyl talks about and then there's file level permissions.
no file level if fat32. Only share and folder. Need to be ntfs for file level. Then you have share, folder, and file level. next step... create an active directory domain..

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #6 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
I need to do this one of these days, network both my hardwired desktop and my wireless laptop.

If you dont mind Miykl I may pm you and see if you can give me some quick advice...
PM away... won't promise good advise, but I'll tell ya something!

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #7 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by miykl
no file level if fat32. Only share and folder. Need to be ntfs for file level. Then you have share, folder, and file level. next step... create an active directory domain..
Yeah, I made the assumption that everyone uses NTFS. If there isn't a compelling reason for someone to stay on FAT32, then they should be on NTFS anyways. Not only for security but just the basic file system is so much better with NTFS.
post #8 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 05:43 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10 Guy
Yeah, I made the assumption that everyone uses NTFS. If there isn't a compelling reason for someone to stay on FAT32, then they should be on NTFS anyways. Not only for security but just the basic file system is so much better with NTFS.
are consumer machines shipping ntfs now? Last I looked the default was fat32 and ntfs had to be selected. It's been forever since i quoted out a personal machine for someone. Personally I NEVER keep the factor build. Always blow it away and start with a clean install. ...even with my work laptop... they thought they were slick with their BS monitoring software. join the domain? Never!! hahahahahahah

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #9 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Having bought two new laptops recently, it's a mix. The Dell comes with a few partitions on their factory install. One is a FAT partition for their diagnostic tools, the other is for their Media Direct program on a FAT partition, a recovery partition on FAT, and lastly the actual OS partition which is NTFS.

The Acer I got had two partitions both were FAT which I thought was pretty ridiculous.

But like you've said, I alway do a fresh install to get rid of the bloatware. In the case of the Acer, the reinstall removed a security issue that was present with the factory install. An active X file would have allowed someone with a malicious website to launch stuff on your desktop without needing admin access.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 05:53 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Guys, don't forget that you have to go into the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy, expand "Local Policies" and then on "Security Options". In the right-hand pane you'll find a bunch of settings. You have to change the one called "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts". Double click this entry and change it from "Guest only..." to "Classic - local users...". I can send you some screenshots if you need.
-Larry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in