RX8/rotory engines - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Just trolling

Posting Frequency

RX8/rotory engines

Has anyone have/had the mazda RX8 before or this type of engine tbh this is my first time actually hearing of engine like this in a car( ive heard of em but really didnt know what they put them in) i love the look and the reviews look pretty good of the rx8's but wanted to see if anyone on here had any background in these. do they need alot of maintenance? are they reliable? and for anyone who has had/or does have the rx8's how do you like it? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I'd change the oil in that...and all the time.
Panigale 1199S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I had the RX7 (Better than the RX8 IMO)
Rotary needs TLC. Change oil frequent. Say every 3,000kms. And use Dino Juice. Non-synthetic oil. And keep the cooling system in a healthy state. Insure all oil hoses are good. They tend to go hard from the heat and burst and dump oil at an alarming rate. I know had this on the freeway. Rotor blades knackered rebuild engine. Still would buy another. Respond pretty good to mods.

BKK
post #3 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 05:31 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to yelozx10r
As time goes on Mazda manages to make the rotary engine alot more reliable and better.

The rotary engine kinda drives like a bike motor... power is delivered higher up and it LOVES to be revved.

The rotary also responds so well to turbos because it puts out ALOT of exhaust which makes spinning the turbo up so good.

Excellent car, excellent motor
post #4 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 05:37 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelozx10r View Post
As time goes on Mazda manages to make the rotary engine alot more reliable and better.

The rotary engine kinda drives like a bike motor... power is delivered higher up and it LOVES to be revved.

The rotary also responds so well to turbos because it puts out ALOT of exhaust which makes spinning the turbo up so good.

Excellent car, excellent motor
I agree, and I am sure the current rotaries in the RX8 are alot better. Turbos and free flowing exhaust systems is the way to go.

BKK
post #5 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I think Luckz88 has/had an RX8 so you might ask him about issues with that particular car. I've had a few RX-7's over the years and love them, they are a blast to drive but like others have stated oil changes and avoiding overheating are paramount to their longevity. The turbo versions are worse in terms of reliability due to the extra heat the turbo keeps in the engine and I know of more than a few that died before hitting 80K, someone I know personally is on his 2rd engine in a 3rd gen with only 120K
post #6 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Shorty's Performance

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to madnessracing Send a message via MSN to madnessracing
the previous RX7 is way better than the new RX8!! the RX8 sucks! it has a lot of problems and not many people work on those cars.

Shorty's Performance
post #7 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Ex Postwhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to 9520G
Talk to chad(luckz88) he had and by the way rotarys suck. They are cool motors but not very reliable.

"Never trade the thrill of living, for the security of existence"
post #8 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to luckz88 Send a message via Yahoo to luckz88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
I think Luckz88 has/had an RX8 so you might ask him about issues with that particular car. I've had a few RX-7's over the years and love them, they are a blast to drive but like others have stated oil changes and avoiding overheating are paramount to their longevity. The turbo versions are worse in terms of reliability due to the extra heat the turbo keeps in the engine and I know of more than a few that died before hitting 80K, someone I know personally is on his 2rd engine in a 3rd gen with only 120K

Yeah I had one...I just sold it....it needs more power to be honest with you...A stock one is fun but it def. needs about a 100 more hp...it handles awesome and is fast from 0-120...after that its slow...i topped mine out a t157 the one night...it doesn't have any power unti you are around 5 or 6 g's to the red limiter...its a gas guzzler btw...my roomate has an S2000 and his car is faster...we dragged several times and the Rx8 wont' touch it...stock brakes and suspension are good...the bose stereo sounds awesome in it..i had the grand touring edition btw...i sold it with 24,000 miles and the clutch was going on it from driving in the mountains...its a great drifting car though but the stock tires are fuggin expensive to replace...i bought the netto b555's and they are great tires
post #9 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Just trolling

Posting Frequency

see the thing is im looking for a car that looks good/ w/ decent gas mileage or a truck i havent decided i love the way the rx8 looks all the way to how the doors open its a very good looking car, im not looking for a go fast car i want a cruiser for in town that looks sharp and i can drive around w/o the 5-10 mpg bs i was also looking at a scion TC. if anyone has had anything that fits my description let me know. im always up for some suggestions thanks luckz for the info rep sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I'd change the oil in that...and all the time.
Panigale 1199S
post #10 of 14 Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to luckz88 Send a message via Yahoo to luckz88
if you want good gas than dont get the rx-8...i was averaging 21 mpg on the highway and when we went to the mountains maybe 14...i know i drove it hard but when i was going t back and forth to work everyday on the interestate at 75-80 mph i was getting around 21....um, the g35 or the new 335 tt bmw might be good for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in