Rifle experts... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-25-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Rifle experts...

I recently purchased a Glock 27 and went to the range for the first time today...its worse than crack because I'm addicted.

I've decided my next firearm will be a rifle. The longest range in the area is 100-125yards.

I want something thats not expensive, maintenance heavy, or hard to find parts/whatever for.

I want to shoot the full range while seated/prone with a bipod and sight. I'm rifle illiterate. I shot a Ruger 10/22 today for the first time and it was an absolute blast, but I have no knowledge of its capabilities/limitations.

As far as expensive, I'd like to be under $500 everything included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If you're shooting a rifle for pleasure/accuracy, get a 10/22 or look into some .17 variant. The 22 ammo is cheap as hell, and the 10/22 is very upgradable and accurate.

2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R-Black
Clear Alternatives Tail Light
2005 Honda F4i-Red
Commuter stuff
2003 Yamaha Zuma-Fairy Silver
TPT 70cc Kit, Leo Vince ZX Exhaust, Malossi Delta Clutch, Scott's Damper Sticker
post #3 of 17 Old 01-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do

Posting Frequency

.22 mags are a great little gun, my pop just bought a .204 ruger hi-po rifle, flat shooting and accurate, highly recommended

Rape is no laughing matter.
Unless you're raping a clown.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I own a ruger 10/22 it is be far the most fun for range shooting. They make all sorts of stocks for it, including just for fun the muzzlelit bullpup. The ammo is super cheap. And with that rifle you can shoot smiley faces at almost any range. Like nick said, you can customize it anyway you want, its a super easy rifle to maintain and best of all its cheap. Box of 100 matched rounds is like $10.

I have other more impressive rifles but for easy to operate, fun to use, easy to clean, and a low cost of owership, this is by far the best choice.

Yeah I'm an Idiot, What's Your Excuse?
post #5 of 17 Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cott10r View Post
.22 mags are a great little gun, my pop just bought a .204 ruger hi-po rifle, flat shooting and accurate, highly recommended
BINGO!

Exactly what I was going to say, we use the .204 and .22-250's for coyote hunting and the .204 is becoming our weapon of choice for the 100-150 yard range, haven't really shot beyond that. Hornaday bullet's at 4225 fps compared to most other small caliber rifles makes it appealing to me.

At its core, the Ninja ZX-10R is a motorcycle built for the accomplished rider who can fully appreciate its capabilities--whether put to the test at a racetrack, or merely the focus of bench-racing conversation. It is, by all standards, the embodiment of the ultimate superbike.

Member of The Elite - Growler Group
post #6 of 17 Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Jingalls1000
Patrick,
Ive been competing in NRA, CMP, and ROTC, sense high school, and would love to offer any advise on rifle shooting I can.
The first advice ide give, is its the caliber not the make that matters. For 100yrds all manufactures will be about the same(yes some will be higher quality, but realistically unless you want to start competing you don't really need to spend the extra cash for oh say a Tikka)
If 100 yrds is what you looking to do, and you don't need to shoot farther or hunt, the the calibers ide recommend to you are; .22, .223, .22-250( I see lots of praise for .204 as well, honestly never used that one but have heard good things). All are relatively inexpensive rounds to buy in bulk, and the latter to will be fun for you if you ever decided to go to a larger range. ( on a side note, honestly ALL calibers are fine up to 100 yrds and if you dont plan on ever going to a longer range, .22 is the way to go, I personally like to feel a little something in my shoulder when i pull the trigger)

hope that helps!

Why are we posting when we could be Riding?
post #7 of 17 Old 01-26-2009, 01:45 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

the smallest caliber i shoot is a 223rem. what the point in having a rifle that cant put a person down , just my opinion.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

I will put my in and give anotherfor the Ruger 10/.22

that 10/.22 is uber acurate and can be made even more so with a BUNCH of aftermarket add ons and upgrades. But right out of the box they are pretty wicked accurate.

ammo is also cheap

I will recomend two things at the range that makes them even more fun.

aluminum pop cans filled with water and hollow point .22LR's (be sure to pick up the aluminum when you are done) and/or ballons filled with water, or even a little talc.

a heavy plate, or an old bell or something else that goes "ding" when hit

these are often refered to as "reactive targets". and people seem to do better with them

Every house in the US should have a Ruger 10/.22

Be careful with the exotic rounds (not sure how new or exotic the .204 is) but the ammo gets expensive and hard to get... you can walk into just about any place that sells ammo and pick up a brick (500rds) of Winchester Wildcats .22LR

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
post #9 of 17 Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Blitzkrieg

Posting Frequency

all great advice

"There is always time to think about what you want to do,
Until it comes time to start doing what you were meant to do."

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.~unknown~

"The true test of a mans character is how he treats someone, from whom he has nothing to gain"

"It's the things that people don't know about themselves on the inside, that make them afraid"
post #10 of 17 Old 01-26-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Alright well I have it narrowed down to two.

Went to the local gun shop today and he had two ready for sale:

10/22 with the Tapco T6 stock already installed. Often referred to as a "Tactical 22". It was $295 OTD and then I'd buy two 25 round magazines that are $18 each.

The other was a Savage Arms 22. Single shot, bolt action, WITH a scope for $205 OTD. Now, single shot would help me use less rounds and the scope was REALLY neat (never shot a rifle before yesterday...or used a scope), but I worry that the single shot would get old real fast.

I was told by the gun shop owner to buy the 10/22 because it was on the "hitlist" of Obama's and will be banned soon.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in