Riding in Groups...with Squids. (Novel length LOL) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Riding in Groups...with Squids. (Novel length LOL)

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R

Last edited by Sebastian1000; 12-23-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

look out for #1 man.. from what you are saying these guys shouldn't be on the roads at the best of times... it's just a matter of time before someone gets hurt bad because of something that should not have happenened... it's alright to have a bit of fun but if the guys don't know how to do it properly it could be you going down next time due to someone elses bad riding.
post #3 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

My regular riding group is very small. We trust each other, and we know how to stay safe. I'm the heaviest-geared of all of us, and people don't give me a second look.

Having such a small group of busy guys, it's hard for us to get together and ride together. I had a desire to go riding with more people, opening up my opportunities for more group riding. I met up with a group of people I didn't know, who proceeded to weave in and out of traffic on busy interstates. I promptly took the nearest exit and continued on alone.

I'd rather ride alone than have to spend my limited riding time scraping someone's squid ass off the pavement.

Last edited by jtemple; 08-13-2009 at 04:08 PM.
post #4 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Tough one. Sometimes the easiest solution is to find a different group. Or start your own ... and you set the rules.

We have a regular sub-group ride here. As usual these days, folks come from a much bigger on-line community. It was made very clear early on that in order to be "in", you have to know how to ride around a corner, and you have to not be a squid. Proper gear is expected, and stunting and attention-getting is out. Has to be that way, because otherwise the police are liable to seize everyone's bike. And yes, we have had the occasional discussion with some people. The folks behind this are (mostly) on the same page, and the riders who keep coming back are also on the same page.

The pre-season on-line discussion was entertaining ... some people didn't get the concept of going the speed limit (or close to it) on straightaways and not slowing down for corners. Much more common is wanting to go 200+ km/h on straightaways and then putter slowly around corners ... the on-line discussion seems to have mostly kept those people away.

So far, we've had few problems.

It's more tricky when it's someone else's ride. My own solution has often been to bring my little Honda CBR125. If I can't keep up on that ... it's not worth staying with the ride anyway, the police will be out looking.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #5 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Oh yeah ... jtemple has a good point. If dumb riding behaviour starts showing up, it's time to go in a different direction.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #6 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I go home or off by myself!!! LOL!!! But seriously if i'm doing a nice spirited group ride one of the regular requirments is for everyone to have a minimum level of gear, i.e. Jack/longselves, pants, helmet, and gloves... Usually I don't have to be the bad guy but we make it know up front... I used to only ride with the same group so the understanding was there... Especially after one or two of the group had already went down... my .02...

"Excuses are monuments of nothingness. They build bridges to nowhere. Those who use these tools of incompetence, seldom become anything but nothing at all.” Therefore I will not use Excuses…..

BMC Airfilter, Galfer Smoked Brakelines, Supersprox 520 -1/Stock, Hotbodies Slash Megahone, PCIII, headlight turnsignal conversion, Vortex Rear sets

Gen 3 Owners Club
post #7 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1000 View Post
So I guess what I am wondering is what do you guys think? How would you deal with this situation? Honestly, most of the guys are decent guys, but man-o-man I feel like every ride with this bigger crew is just...well damn dangerous. I could lead by example I guess...but I am not some beacon of rightness when it comes to riding or anything. I could just stay away too. Or try to pull everyone in before a ride and go over a few things, but I don't want to come off as a preacher. (We have already had chats with most of the guys and pulled everyone in, but it seems people don't listen too well.) The general lack of gear disturbs me, with both groups...but I think I am wearing a couple of them down LOL.

So that's it...sorry for the book.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Opinions? Insults? Advice?

I think this is very important before any ride.. I mean safety is number one and there's nothing wrong with going over a few things especially if you don't know the group you're riding with... Its not preaching its just reminding everyone that we want to have fun but lets be safe doing it... You have every right to be concerned for your personal safety...

Lot of good comments from red, jtemple, and gofaster!!! Idealy it would be best to ride with those you know and trust... I've seen a few rides get out of hand and honestly I've walked away from them because I didn't feel safe...

Now that guy that went down was he all rashed up!!! Wonder if he will invest in a good jacket now??? I understand everyone has the right to choose what they want to wear... But I choose gear cause I don't want to be digging asfault out my skin or what's left of it....

Good Topic....

"Excuses are monuments of nothingness. They build bridges to nowhere. Those who use these tools of incompetence, seldom become anything but nothing at all.” Therefore I will not use Excuses…..

BMC Airfilter, Galfer Smoked Brakelines, Supersprox 520 -1/Stock, Hotbodies Slash Megahone, PCIII, headlight turnsignal conversion, Vortex Rear sets

Gen 3 Owners Club
post #8 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
formerly GHOST RIDER

Posting Frequency

You need new riding partners buddy..Like you said, their actions will kill themself or other riders(just a matter of time). I'm not the fastest in my group but at the same time I know when to quit..Squids riders will kill your thrill for a days ride..1 guys goes down, it takes the fun out of you for the whole day..NOTE: Do they know what counter steering is?
post #9 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 05:03 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I wish the squid groups I sometimes end up riding with rode even that well... I mostly try to look out for myself and just keep my distance from people being unsafe. I have a few people I ride with that I trust, but for the most part I keep my distance from people until I build up a trust with the person.

2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R-Black
Clear Alternatives Tail Light
2005 Honda F4i-Red
Commuter stuff
2003 Yamaha Zuma-Fairy Silver
TPT 70cc Kit, Leo Vince ZX Exhaust, Malossi Delta Clutch, Scott's Damper Sticker
post #10 of 55 Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

I very rarely ride with the local groups, and ever rarer actually enjoy riding with them, bunch of dangerous squids.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in