Riding in groups / Close calls - Long - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 10-02-2005, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Riding in groups / Close calls - Long

Hi all,

I was out locally today to do some riding with my Brother in Law & some of his friends. They are from Philly & I am from NY (just a little background). I have gone riding with all his friends from today a few times in the past & I have a good idea of what they do & how they ride (who in the group is slow like me & who to stay away from).

There was an extra person I didnt ever meet before & only one person from that group knew the guy.

Anyway, we went to a scenic spot & at the entrance a park ranger closed the scenic spot (not sure why & it doesnt matter to this story). Even though it was my local area, a few people had been there before (bear mtn if anyone was curious) & were leading. Once they went to the spot that was closed by the ranger, they had to go straight (no where to turn around), the group pulled over & asked me to lead to the next spot. I said "we need to turn around but lets pull forward to a safer spot" (for the 6 bikes to turn around).

So we pull out, (again this is a one lane road with lots of motorcycles going for a cruise), I am in the lead & I see a nice long stretch & a left hand road that looked good for us to turn around. We are doing 40-50, I turn on my signal, slow down a bit as I am approaching the turn, I see three of the bikes right behind me, arms out to signal, signals on.

I see them slowing down behind me, I start to turn & a gust of wind (& a ZX-12R) comes within 2 feet of my front tire. The blast of wind almost knocks me off my bike & I suddenly realize that someone almost hit me going so fast I didnt know what it was at first.

I would guess he was going 60 & if I were going just "slightly" faster, I am sure he would have demolished/killed me. It really really screwed me up.

As he went zooming past me, & I stopped for everyone to turn (again, thats how quick it happened - I didnt even comprehend what happened). I say to my brother in law, "Dan, was that my fault? I think he was within inches of killing me". Dan said more like 2 feet, but who am I to judge.

He kept asking if I was OK & two of the guys didnt even know what happened. The guy that almost hit me on the 12R, kept going straight & about 5 minutes later (as we are all waiting & comparing notes), he drives past us, beeps & waves goodbye (he drove 2+ hours from PA to NY) then takes off alone to where ever.

I am not sure if he thought I was at fault & he wanted to get away, or if he thought I was pissed. At this point I am pissed but at that point I was in shock.

Anyway, the thought of what a 200 pound person + a 500 pound bike going at least 60mph makes me think I came very very close to getting killed or seriously injured with lifelong damage.

The rest of the day (while riding) I was thinking about what happened. Needless to say that ruined the ride for me for the day but I kept going & just stayed in the back going pretty slow. I cant stop thinking about how lucky I am that there isnt a RichTJ99 RIP thread. I really think I almost died today. Maybe I am over reacting, maybe not. Do you guys have close calls often? I admit, I gave my wife a big hug & kiss hello & was very glad to be home alive.

I dont remember ever going riding & being thankful to be home, alive, and in one piece. While I was looking behind me & doing whatever I could have done to do a "normal" uturn, you never can guess what someone else is going to do. I would suggest that when you ride with a newbie, be very aware of what they might do. I mean newbie in a new to you rider, it doesnt matter how long they have been riding.

I normally ride with 1 person & I was bitching at the begining of the summer how I dont have anyone to ride with but him. Now I am glad that I dont go in large groups (I wont anymore if I can help it, if not, I will stay in the back where I can see people).

I realize the guy was someone I didnt know & maybe he just saw a straight & took off but either way I think it really scared me silly.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 12:04 AM
talker of shite

Posting Frequency

Sounds like you were lucky there Rich,just goes to prove you need your wits about you when out on a ride.I mean ,if you signalled then the guy behind should NOT be passing.When I go on a ride I always do the "lifesaver" before signalling & turning! And it's also a good reason never to listen to mp3 players while riding

Has anyone seen my marbles ?
post #3 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 12:07 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

wow....Glad your allright. today I took my 1st group ride. Something to keep in the back of my mind though...know who you ride with..

RIP: 2005 ZX-10R STOLEN 12/27/2006 FROM ANAHEIM
www.myspace.com/fgmotorsports
Green 2007 ZX-10R STOLEN 11/20/09 from Mesquite, Tx
- A&R Race Baffles
- FG Motorsports LED kit
- FG Motorsports 5000k HID
- FG Motorsports Custom Angle Eyes/Halos
- Custom painted - Torn Checkered Flag
- Two tone Wheels
post #4 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno22
And it's also a good reason never to listen to mp3 players while riding
Yep, I was thinking about getting a MP3 player to use on the bike. However, I have rethought that tonight.

I suppose to me what was scary (I have had some "Oh Shit" moments before today), this was the first one that I couldnt control & didnt see until it was way to late. Basically when I have had scary moments, it was due to my own stupidity, not someone elses.

post #5 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Oh, and sorry this is so long winded (its kinda typical for me though)

post #6 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 12:10 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Since i've had years of group riding with a local club i can tell ya it takes all your wits every time out for various reasons but Rich your feelings are real and shouldn't be dismissed as over reacting.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 12:11 AM
talker of shite

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTJ99
Oh, and sorry this is so long winded (its kinda typical for me though)
No worries man,tell it like it is

Has anyone seen my marbles ?
post #8 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 12:25 AM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTJ99
I suppose to me what was scary (I have had some "Oh Shit" moments before today), this was the first one that I couldnt control & didnt see until it was way to late. Basically when I have had scary moments, it was due to my own stupidity, not someone elses.
It's the one's that you have no control over that will scare the "bleep" out of you. You'd just be caught up in someone else's screw up.
The cases where it's your fault, or within your control, don't seem to get to you to the same depth as the other ones do.
You were lucky, maybe you sensed it, either way, you dodged one today. Does make one wake up and smell the coffee.

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #9 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 01:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Glad you're still around Rich...i hear ya dude....i sometimes ride with friends but my best rides are the ones in which i'm alone.
post #10 of 23 Old 10-03-2005, 01:43 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by pongo
Glad you're still around Rich...i hear ya dude....i sometimes ride with friends but my best rides are the ones in which i'm alone.

yep mine too.

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in