Retire Or Go To Iraq - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to zx10x2
Retire Or Go To Iraq

For those who dont know I have been in the Air Force for 22 yrs. I was original suppose to go to Kuwait for 120 days. 2 days before I was suppose to leave it got changed to Baghdad Iraq for 179 days. I was OK with that. I was to leave tomorrow for combat skills training and come back here for 2 weeks then off to Iraq. I get a call at 830am and they say I am not coming back for 2 weeks. I am going straight over to Iraq after training.

I tell them I got household goods that I need to put in storage and there is not enough time in today to put my stuff in storage and my cars and bike in storage.

Bottom Line I been thinking about just putting in my paper work and retire. In about a month the promotion list comes out and thats a promotion I really wanted and I am pretty sure I will be on the list.

I can not just up and leave my stuff when I was suppose to come back and store everything. Sorry It seems like I am rambling but I been thinking for almost 4 hours on this and I just got a call and things can not be change so I can take care of my personnal affairs.

I really want that promotion but I cant just leave my stuff. Its all my stuff I have and I call it my life. My supervisor is tying to talk me out of it and I told I am tired of being told side A of somethig and not side B. There were people who knew I was going 30 days before I knew and that pissed me off but I got over it.

I called my mom and dad and they say do what I think is best for me but they really dont want me to go.

I am about to call and say I am submitting my paper work to retire. I have been through alot of emotional changes since I was told I was deploying.

Thanks for letting me vent ZX-10R.net. The best motorcycle forum on the net.

ZX10X2

- 90 Mustang Coupe - 578 hp Grocery Getter
- 06 ZX-10 no mods - I love it
- 10 F250 Crew Cab
- 08 F-450 Crew Cab

I HAD A HANDLE ON LIFE, BUT IT BROKE OFF

Last edited by zx10x2; 05-18-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

very tough thing to do. only you can decide whats best for you. I can't believe they won't give you time to get things put away.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketracermike View Post
very tough thing to do. only you can decide whats best for you. I can't believe they won't give you time to get things put away.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Go with your gut!

~SeaTec
post #5 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 06:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Just retire man, I've been there twice and you're not missing out on anything.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to lesleybrownjr
I would retire,and never look back.You have done your time.In 1961 at Ft.Jackson Sc.I caught disentery and nearly died.While in the base hospital they gave me a proctoscope.Sooooo I was scheduled for another on the day of my departure to see if I qualified for a 10% disability.I told my CO he could shove the dis.as no one was stretching my butt again.Then I missed Viet Nam and it made me feel safe to be through.Thank you for serving!Ride safe...Les
post #7 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 07:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Is the stripe worth it? Are you willing to take on the service commitment for the promotion?

I've been running through this same type of scenario in my head since my son was born. I have just under 10 years left and got TSgt a few months back. I'm pretty sure my next base is going to be my last so I need to get my ducks in a row. I'm in a special duty and will have two CCAF degrees so SMSgt is do-able. I just dont know if it's worth it to plan to stay past 20.

I'd think hard about the promotion. Has it always been a goal? Is it for the money? Job security? Weigh your options and go with what feels right.

Kelly
'05 ZX-10R
post #8 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 08:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I asssume you are a E-7 if so that's a pretty good jump in pay to E-8 but if it were me I'd bail. That's the whole idea of making it to 20 and then everything after is gravy. That's my plan anyway. I'm at 14.5 years and have 2 years left on this overseas assignment. I plan to IPCOT for an additional 3 years here before going back to the states. Every year after will be just to continue to pad the retirement fund and if something I don't like happens then it's time to go.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I must say after 2 dployments to iraq and one to afghan. I would go you just cant explain what you will do and see. I know its war but its also a great thing to see what is really happening on the ground there.

But hey you did your time so do as you please
post #10 of 17 Old 05-18-2007, 09:49 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow, that is a tough call indeed. If I was in your neck of the woods I'd try to get a possy together to help you out with getting things ready for storage but since I'm about 7000 kms away and in another country it's a bit difficult. All the best in your decision, I wish I was there to help out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in