Ready to relocate! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Ready to relocate!

Born and raised in DC/MD area and it's where I've been for the last 41 yrs and it's time to bounce! The wife and I have been in discussion about this for the past 2 weeks since we returned from Fla on vacation. Naturally Fla is high on the wish list, especially Central Fla area. But one area of interest is San Antonio Texas, I have family there and people I talk to say it's nice, my wife has visited Austin TX and she loves it. I just wanted to hear pros/cons from anyone on here that resides in these areas. Good roads to ride are a plus lol!Thanks fellas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Florida is great!!!! Lived in Palm Beach area for about twelve years and loved almost every minute of it. As far as riding goes, they have some pretty straight roads and a bunch of traffic. I guess there are quite a few routes along the coast that are beautiful. and i suppose in central Florida too. Tennessee is my Favorite for riding so far. Never been to San Antonio before.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm originally from The Great State and San Antonio and Austin are both great places. They have just about anything you need and want as far as jobs and entertainment. The only real con I see is San Antonio is a growing city and the population grows bigger every year, yes like most places but I think it will be very crowded population wise very quickly. I guess the answer to that would be to buy a good chunk of land.

BIKES (Past and Present)
CURRENT: 2004 GSXR-750
1983 Honda CB1000C (Black) Sold
1999 KTM 300 EXC Sold
1999 Kawi ZX7R (Kawi Red) Sold
2000 XR650R Sold
2001 Kawi ZX-6 (Green) Sold
2003 Kawi ZX-6RR (Blue) Sold
2004 Generic 50cc Gave away
2006 Honda XR650L (Red) Sold
2007 Kawi ZX-10R (Red) Parted
post #4 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 02:38 AM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

The only real negative about SA and Austin (in South Texas in general) is the heat. It can get Africa HOT here. Makes you not want to ride, at least with me. A lot of the backroads are very twisty west of I-35 that lead to Luckenbach, Fredricksburg, and the towns west of both cities. Just watch out for critters running across or tried and failed to cross the road. Austin itself is a great city to live in. It has a bit of everything, and even if it doesn't have you want I'm sure you'll find it close. 6th street, Town lake, Zilker park, live music out the wazoo. It's a great city for sure.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Dont mess wit White Ninja

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
Florida is great!!!! Lived in Palm Beach area for about twelve years and loved almost every minute of it. As far as riding goes, they have some pretty straight roads and a bunch of traffic. I guess there are quite a few routes along the coast that are beautiful. and i suppose in central Florida too. Tennessee is my Favorite for riding so far. Never been to San Antonio before.

Thats in the city man

I live in Palm Beach kinda out west and we have plenty of routes that run corners. Yes flat for the most part but any where from west palm north to jensen and west towards orlando is solid riding! Not straight at all if you know where to ride But pro's and con's about florida, no lie, we have the highest % of 65+ out of any state! Meaning lots of old town cars in the city doing 17mph I love palm beach, the riding isnt the best but I have some routes that kill corners If I moved to florida though again I'd def. be up north more around orlando or something! Much better riding from what I hear up there

ps north florida=georgia, south florida=florida...north=nice people, south=what ever lol

post #6 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
The only real negative about SA and Austin (in South Texas in general) is the heat. It can get Africa HOT here. Makes you not want to ride, at least with me. A lot of the backroads are very twisty west of I-35 that lead to Luckenbach, Fredricksburg, and the towns west of both cities. Just watch out for critters running across or tried and failed to cross the road. Austin itself is a great city to live in. It has a bit of everything, and even if it doesn't have you want I'm sure you'll find it close. 6th street, Town lake, Zilker park, live music out the wazoo. It's a great city for sure.
....AMEN to that!!!!!! BUT i still love good ol' TX! I wasn't born here but i got here as fast as i could!! (saw that on a bumper sticker once)

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Born and raised here in central Florida. Its the same here as abprep07 mentioned. There are alot of retirees from all over that live here. There are some great roads to ride. The one thing I dont like is most of the great twisties (@ least that I know of) are just minutes long. Id love to find set that lasted for 30 or 40 minutes instead of 3 or 4 minutes. Most of the roads I ride take 15 to get to and 3 to blast. I wish that were the other way around.

post #8 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 07:19 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
there are quite a few beautiful, non traffic twisty roads in cantral fl.

when i die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I'm moving to South Florida in a week. I live in SC right now, and all things considered i have the best roads around to ride on. I live an hour from the Dragon, 45 min from the parkway, etc etc. While all that is great, living in this area totally sucks (my opnion of course). There is nothing to do, its boring as sin. Moving to So Fla will have its draw backs from riding a little bit, im sure ill miss some twisty's, but everything thing else about life, entertainment, will be so much better. I dont think you could go wrong moving to either place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Come to NYC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in