Rant - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Rant

I have a little rant, here is the short version:

First off I am 19 years old but have a decent level of maturity, sometimes. I have owned a ford lightning for over 3 years and had an 05' zx-10 for a season, with no tickets ever, not even pulled over in either. I sold it last year for a harley davidson street bob for last season and only put 1200 miles on it because I hated it. Never asked my parents for a dime and now I sold my harley and bought an 06' zx-10 and my parents will not stop giving me sh!t.

Any advice on how to get them off my back. They trust me but i dunno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 11:44 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to lavudyar
Short answer: NO

I am 37, been riding since I was 6 and I still get crap from my mom for riding a streetbike (no matter the type) even though my dad was the one that got me started.

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE=lavudyar]Short answer: NO

I am 37, been riding since I was 6 and I still get crap from my mom for riding a streetbike (no matter the type) even though my dad was the one that got me started.[/QUOte

I figure I will always be getting nagged. Guess I will just live with it.
post #4 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It will never end, I am 32 and have started doing track days and get nothing but crap from my Mom about riding. The same thing here as well, my Dad rode for years and si the one that got me into riding.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

If you live at home still, just expect it and respect it. They are not trying to nag you or give you a problem. Remind them that you are not a teenager anymore(wait... scratch that). They don't want you to get hurt because they love you. I hope you don't prefer that they don't give a care about you, because that's an aweful place to be.

If you are out on your own already, just gently remind them that you appreciate their concern, but you are now your own responsibility and will accept the consequences of any of your actions. If it bothers you that much, its worth taking your folks out to dinner and talking about it in order to set these kinds of boundaries.

Good luck! :)
post #6 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Not their choice, but they may get used to it. After over 15 yrs on the street, I don't hear anything about it anymore.

Tell them you are very concerned about them driving and talking on phone, messing with stereo, a/c, maps, directions, drinking coffee or whatever they and most all of us do in a car.

I've also let my parents know if I die on the bike- I die happy. They can feel sorry for me if I get robbed and killed at work. Hell they are/were teachers and administrators at public schools.

My mother works at a school in a "not so great neighborhood," because that is where they need her.
I worry more about her being around the scumbag kids that parents are quick to have and equally quick to pawn off on the streets and schools to raise or a maid to raise them in the nice areas.
Never ceases to amaze me- so proud of themselves and our society that they have to have a "mini-me," then they have a kid and leave it to imprint off of a maid/nanny for the first 5 to 10 yrs until it can take your orders or show off for you at parties or maybe church.

anyway-
I had to fight to ride ditbikes when I was a kid and even promised not to ever ride streetbikes back then (never thought I'd want to back then.)

Somehow it seemed to ease my mom's mind a bit that Jay Leno rides, or maybe she was just trying to humor me with a motorcycle related conversation when she brought up that he rides.

Mom even complemented me on choosing Ti as a "classy" color.

They were taught not to say, "be careful" but to say, "have fun" when I ride away.
Means the same thing but without the jinx factor.

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
post #7 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

what do you guys say to ease their minds if you dont mind me asking? I love riding but I dont want to be selfish and have her worry so much
post #8 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

My mom likes when I get myself a new toy. She still worries, but knows it's what makes me happy. Plus I'm the one who lectures my dad for riding w/o gear!! this is Dad....

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #9 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscobrad11
what do you guys say to ease their minds if you dont mind me asking? I love riding but I dont want to be selfish and have her worry so much
Its not about what you say as the words you say are just the words. You have to come to an understanding. Try to think about how you guys want to relate and talk about it(spend a good amount of time on this beforehand, cuz its worth getting it straight in your own mind first.)

Sounds like going out to dinner and discussing the life and/or relationship boundaries that you can both be happy with is in order.

They'll be VERY impressed and it will give them a better feeling that you are actaully not 10 years old anymore and it will give them confidence in your maturity. It will also show them that you really love them, and they won't easily forget that.

Its going to do nothing but help you and the people around you. Things that are worthwhile usually take time and effort to do.

Go for it!

Last edited by ShortBus; 10-31-2006 at 12:27 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus
Its not about what you say as the words you say are just the words. You have to come to an understanding. Try to think about how you guys want to relate and talk about it(spend a good amount of time on this beforehand, cuz its worth getting it straight in your own mind first.)

Sounds like going out to dinner and discussing the life and/or relationship boundaries that you can both be happy with is in order.

They'll be VERY impressed and it will give them a better feeling that you are actaully not 10 years old anymore and it will give them confidence in your maturity. It will also show them that you really love them, and they won't easily forget that.

Its going to do nothing but help you and the people around you. Things that are worthwhile usually take time and effort to do.

Go for it!

Thats exactly the advice I was giving myself. Its just a little annoying because we had already been through this with my 05'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in