Question for the po-po's in the house - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Question for the po-po's in the house

Got myself into a wee bit of a situation today.:headshake Goddam mirrors on this bike, I couldn't see directly behind me was a cop on a harley, and I briskly accelerated away from a light. Cut to sirens going off and me getting a ticket for 30 over (yikes!!! ). Well this cop, who as soon as I had my helmet off said "unfortunatly for you I am not one of the nice ones", gives me this speeding ticket (no radar just said at 70 he quit looking at how fast he was going) and threatens me that if I don't just pay it and if he sees me in court he will write me a ticket on the spot for reckless driving. Apperantly he had been following me for a while and observed a few other traffic violations, one of which he classified as reckless.

He stated that since these were two different violations that he observed at two seprate times, he could easily write the second ticket would be in a different court (I crossed city lines while he was following me and he is a county sheriff).

Is this shit legit???? I am happy to pay the fine, but four points is killer to the licence, and I think my lawyer can get rid of them. My question is can this guy write the second ticket 2 months later or whenever the court date is? Is there a statute of limitations on a traffic violation? I never heard of such a thing. He again stated if he sees me in court he will write the reckless ticket on the spot which is 8 points and "see ya" to the old licence. Do I risk it or just take my medicine and pay the two hundy fine and eat the points? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm not a cop, but you might want to mention what state this happened in. Your location on your profile leads me to believe Michigan. Could make the answer you get of more use since states differ on stuff like this.

Just a thought,

sorry to hear about the ticket... good luck bro.

JUST GREEN
post #3 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

^^^Michigan
post #4 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 08:08 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

OK first of all . . NO. . he cannot write you a ticket later (ok he could but won't I promise), and second what he did is called extorsion and could be classified as coersion. Go to court with your lawyer, bring this up first thing!! Proving you were speeding w/o radar is a very, very thin lined debate, play your cards right. . .tell your lawyer everything and you will walk away from this w/ just attorney bills.

SG

Green is fastest.
post #5 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

this is a threadjack

well there are cool cops out there........ i found one today, i heard this ticking noise coming from my bike so, what do i do, i came up to a straight away dropped down into first at about 30mph (that is the speed limit where i was) and then gunned it to about 110. duhhh me didnt realize that 2 cars behind me was a state police officer. (i thought it was, but the police cars around here are stealthy looking because they dont have the light bars on the roof) well long story short... he made asked me how long i had my bike and how old i was, and he said take it easy and keep it slow, i dont want you to hurt yourself ...... oh yeah nice bike

will do officer, thank you

then he drove away before he even shut his lights off, like nothing ever happened
post #6 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Damb, that is lucky. He must have got some butt last night.

He who dies with the most toys wins!
NESBA #24993
post #7 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 08:27 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to smalls23
yes he could write the second citation later, BUT if he did you could bring up what was stated in court and that could change ALOT of things. I would call his supervisor and notify them of what was said ( I am not one of the nice ones and the threat of going to court ) i am pretty sure you would have a solid case in court IF you brought up what was said, his demenor towards you, and the THREAT of going to court.

any questions PM me asap, and if you need me to i can make a friendly call to the agency to see what i can do . . .

^^^but you would have to tell me about any possible violations you may hav commited, and if you have any prior citations . . .
post #8 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

from a cop

Well...if he made those statements he could be in more trouble with his own department than with the courts. He could actually write the reckless ticket later but good luck getting it on in court. The cop can bring up the reckless driving (if it was) in court if you beef him...speeding alone IS NOT RECKLESS DRIVING...traffic school options (some on line) can reduce the ticket and eliminate points, but check with your individual state. If you already have a lawyer...i would use him. Officers that threaten you in any way are just setting themselves up for a loss or worse in court. UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR regardless

hope this helps and good luck
post #9 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 10:00 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

dang titanium and you were bashing some officers in another thread and here you find one that cut you a break? some guys are allowed too much freedom in their job and they get a cockyness that they cant be touched. it just takes one person that hangs a bad officer up on something they say and do to put them in their place. he will not write you a ticket for going to court. I dont know if having someone else in the business call and try to help you out will do much since your not family or close friend. i have gotten out of tickets because i was too embarrassed to tell the officer that stopped me that i too was a cop but i wrote a letter to their prosecutor and they dropped it. try the call to a supervisor first and see if that helps. if not try another supervisor higher up. dont just tell them you want out of the ticket because the whole complaint you have is your word against his. all depends on the department.
post #10 of 37 Old 06-20-2006, 10:34 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I don't know shit, but I do know what "due process" is! His cohersing you to stay away from court is a big no, no.

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in