Question for guitar players.. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-09-2005, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Question for guitar players..

What exactly is a pre-amp? Is it just like pedal or something that attaches the pickups or what? I notice that alot of proffesional guys use mesa-boogie pre-amps but I havent found any. (or a dealer for mesa-boogie for that matter) Anywho any info would help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-09-2005, 10:40 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarPlyr
A preamp basically amplifies a weak guitar signal before they are fed to additional (usually more powerful) amplifier circuits.

John 8:24:
Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
post #3 of 27 Old 10-09-2005, 10:54 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Hey I got one too. just bought a guitar and want to learn how to play... Got the DVD but Im lost should i take lessons or just keep trying the DVD? If so what would that be under in the phone book?
post #4 of 27 Old 10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczx10r
Hey I got one too. just bought a guitar and want to learn how to play... Got the DVD but Im lost should i take lessons or just keep trying the DVD? If so what would that be under in the phone book?
You'll find varying opinions on this, but it is my recommendation that you learn the basic chord shapes and get comfortable playing them before going to an instructor....you can find the correct way to play them in any chord book....IMO, would be a waste of money to pay someone to show you that stuff. Also, if you can find some guys near you that play, you'de be amazed at what you can learn just by watching.

Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
post #5 of 27 Old 10-09-2005, 11:02 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

cool thanks.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-10-2005, 02:32 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
What exactly is a pre-amp? Is it just like pedal or something that attaches the pickups or what? I notice that alot of proffesional guys use mesa-boogie pre-amps but I havent found any. (or a dealer for mesa-boogie for that matter) Anywho any info would help. Thanks!
I gots me a couple of boogies actually. I use a Mesa TriAxis/2:90 rack set up live. The Triaxis is a preamp and the 2:90 is the Power amp. Usually a preamp/power amp set up is more flexible than say a head or a combo amp. It allows the user to have multiple "channels" over say a head which would give you at best 4, as is the case with the Mesa Road King. At home for practicing/annoying the neighbors I use a Mesa MK IV combo. Shoot me a PM if ya got any questions or anything, Id be more than happy to help ya out.
Here is a pic you can see my rack behind me the TriAxis 2:90 are the bottom 2 pieces in the rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05906.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	7914  
post #7 of 27 Old 10-10-2005, 02:44 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

answer to your question.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAzzGuitarPlyr
A preamp basically amplifies a weak guitar signal before they are fed to additional (usually more powerful) amplifier circuits.
:iamwithst B.A.G.P. hit the nail on the head
post #8 of 27 Old 10-10-2005, 07:00 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczx10r
How do you stop a guitar player from playing?

Put music in front of him

It's a lot like motorcycles, if you “only” teach yourself and/or have friends show you what they know... it's likely you'll only go so far and inherit a lot of bad habits along the way.

Question:
How good do you want to be?

I'd say explore the guitar using the DVD's and friends, but look for a properly trained instructor that is a real musician (classically trained – a real student) and has the ability to lead you towards a goal. Remember, with the guitar, you should never play a song "your way" until you can play the whole song "their way" (the way of the songwriter/performer that is).

**I'm probably coming from a different direction than most. My parents gave me my first guitar in 1983 (a knock off Les Paul @ 12 years old!) and I feel I consistently hit brick walls over the next 10 to 15 years, because I didn't know the difference between being a “player” and a “musician.” If you try to become a musician (and I don’t mean building your own recording studio or making this an obsession), the more enjoyable music will be for you overall… and you’ll truly understand where the guitar fits and doesn’t.

http://www.circusnuts.com/FirstGuitar.JPG

I found a highly qualified teacher many years ago using this site.
http://www.gbase.com/

IMHO, you picked the best instrument f’sho

HTH
Phil

Dress for the slide & not the ride

Last edited by circusnuts; 10-10-2005 at 08:05 AM.
post #9 of 27 Old 10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Yeah, i totally agree he should get an instructor if he decides he wants to be serious about it....I just think its a waste of money to get someone to explain the simple things....however i may not know what im talking about, lol....it just came easy to me, but i can see how it might not to some people....

Also, dont let yourself get frustrated with it if you cant get the hang of it, find someone to show you and explain it to you....dont give up before you really give it a try, as it can be very frustrating at first...

post #10 of 27 Old 10-10-2005, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks alot guys. So this isnt something I really need to just play around the house? Its not something Im really serious about but I would like to get better. Where do you find them boogies at? Do you have a local dealer or did you order them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in