Pre 89 ZX1000 Motor Build - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Pre 89 ZX1000 Motor Build

I am looking at building a pre 1989 kawasaki kz1000 motor and want to find some info about a head and a cam that would work well together. I know alot about car motors, but bike motors are kinda new to me. I know its the same concept, but finding any info about cam and head selection(or working the head really) is hard to find. I'm not going to stroke the motor because from what i hear stroked bike motors dont last that long, but i will punch it out and get some cc's from that. Compression will be high, but not extream. I'll tackle the trans at a later date. The head and cam is my major concern right now. I will be looking at some bikes this week and get a more specific year for ya'll. Thanks for your help.

Oh on a side note, i got my 06zx-10 all stock except for lowerd/straped and geared to a 6.5 in the eighth and a 1.6 sixty on a very hot and humid night. Spun the tire when i was half way down the track which cost me some time, but thats part of racing. Launched at 8,000rpms seemed to help alot and trying to twist the throttle off did too, lol. I know its not that great of a run, just need some more seat time and an exhaust. I will not be stretching this bike. I might put an airshifter on later, but thats about it except for an exhaust, map and pcIII. Well, hopefully i'll get to run a 5.9/6.0 one day on this thing(stock wheelbase). I think a well prepared track and some more seat time will help alot. Later all

Last edited by BryanB; 06-27-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

I did one a few years ago, all the stuff I got from Scnitz apart from the wiseco pistons, if I remember rightly the cams were from Web , the head I got from schnitz but then I had even more taken out of it by extreme cylinder heads.

Schnitz is probably the best way to go and dont forget to completely replace all the cam chain guides and plastic cogs as they were made from crap material and were the biggest cause of engine failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in