Possible thieves on the prowl?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Possible thieves on the prowl??

Hey everyone, I've been trying to sell my 10 for the past 3 weeks now and I recently received a suspicious email from someone browsing craigslist.com. Now, I've sold 3 bikes on there and never received an email like this. The context in which the email was written seemed almost like..well..."scamminess".. for a lack of a better word. I deleted the email but this is basically what it said...

::In regards to 2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R:::
I was wondering if you could tell me the location of the bike so I can come look at it.

Well, first of all... here is my craigslist listing here. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...211656903.html

I personally think I did a thorough job of listing the bike covering all base's like year,make,model, mileage,location, description. It says exactly that im located in Arlington VA. So I think nothing of it, most people ask questions when they are blatantly posted/answered in the listing. So I decide to email from my "junk" email address that has no name/address registered to my home (super paranoid person here) and ask for his contact info so I can call him first. I did this to see if a legitimate name and phone number came from that email address and it sure did. This is the response I received:

The name is Eric: My cell is XXX-XXX-XXXX. Call and
leave message anytime.

followed by this
work until 4:00PM, but you can leave a message with
a return contact number for me to call you back on.

Ok, at this point im like he seems like a legit guy so I call from my cell phone and leave a message. I get a call back that afternoon and the guy didnt seem like he know a whole lot about bikes... no biggie im thinking. He kept saying it was a clean bike and it looked like i took care of it, and that it was really clean ya da yada yadayada. He then asked me if my bike was garage kept or out in the open, so I said "It is in a car port, kinda like a garage I guess" and no more then 3 seconds after I said then the guy said he had to go and that he would call me back. I said ok and never heard back from him (although its only been a day or 2). I have sent an email asking if he was still interested and no response. Now maybe i'm over reacting but this somehow raised a red flag for me and im super paranoid. My craigslist listing states that the bike never gets rained on and never been in inclement weather. So just about 10 minuets ago I wrote this email and sent it to him::

Eric, for some reason I'm getting a bad vibe about this. I apologize in advance if I'm incorrect about things but it seemed odd that when you asked if my bike was garage kept and I said yes, you got off the phone rather quickly and never called back. The initial email that was sent to me seemed off, the context in which the email was composed is not the typical "Hey is the bike for sale" emails I've received from using craigslist. Im extra paranoid about theft (which is why I even lock my bike up inside my garage) and especially in this area with the recent motorcycle thefts that have been going on. Again I'm not accusing you of anything its just the way this was brought to me signaled a red flag. I wouldnt be surprised if it was a common thing for people to see a bike for sale online and see it in person to know if its an easy target for theft...

Now I'm awaiting his response but maybe I could be totally wrong, but wouldnt be surprised if he was looking for an easy target.

What do you guys think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

just don't smell right. becareful my friend.

Rain. Whats is this Rain i keep hearing?.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I agree. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, but in this case it would involve a loss of a good sum of money on your part. Bikes are just too damn easy to steal.
post #4 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Man About Town

Posting Frequency

Craiglist Bogus inquiries

Craiglist is notorious for shite like that.
I've gotten bogus "interest" on just about everything I've advertised
on there.
I rode all the way to CA from NM to trade a bike to a guy for a car
and it turned out that he had recently purchased the car, not registered it
and none of the paperwork was the same as the (false) name he
had given me. When I called him out over the inequity in everything
he stated that dealing with people over the internet made him nervous
or something.
Be leary of everyone and do not let them come to your house, work etc.
Meet them at a public place. Just my .02 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXTOM
And there were no multiple levels orscreens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win! The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
post #5 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:16 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Have to be careful these days for sure but in all honesty if I called about a bike and was told the bike is kept outside in the elements I'd be striking that bike off my list of bikes to buy. I'm just different like that though.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:30 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to tuzem
Be careful dawg... my triumph almost vanished from my car port...

CMRA #341 - Novice - '06 Green 10 ~ '03 CRF450
post #7 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzem
Be careful dawg... my triumph almost vanished from my car port...
Yeah I think I remember reading your post.
post #8 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Off topic though, do you guys think that polished lips would look good on my bike? I always wanted to do it so I might try it this weekend... not sure if anyone is going to buy my bike so I might as well do it..
post #9 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 PM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

I would be careful, something's a little off.

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
I'd let him know you got guns ready for a person who'd like to get that bike fer free.

JMHO.

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in