plasma vs. LCD hdtvs???? anybody know?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to djblacksuperman Send a message via MSN to djblacksuperman Send a message via Yahoo to djblacksuperman
plasma vs. LCD hdtvs???? anybody know??

yea i've got the 360, and im thinking about getting the wii, but i really want to get an HD plasma or lcd tv... anyone have any suggestions? im thinking about that vizio tv.... http://www.vizioce.com/ im leaning towards the 50 inch plasma.... but i've heard that lcd's last longer... any have any input on plasma vs. lcd??? my mom already has a 42inch plasma... its nice and all but it was 3 or 4K at the time she got it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 02:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to byebyebusa Send a message via Yahoo to byebyebusa
LCD's last longer, are sharper and have a higher contrast ratio. We brought in a Plasma screen and for TV it's ok but for a computer monitor it's not.

99 ZRX1100 - tons of mods and still slow but FUN / 07 Yami FZ1 for the wifie.
post #3 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 02:33 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

been doin a little research myself but won't buy till mid 07 ,with the 37" vizio LCD HDTV is my choice of size and brand so far.

BD

post #4 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 02:38 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I worked for Circuit City for several years as a manager. I will give you my insight.

As was said the LCD are going to have higher contract ratios, faster refresh rates than the Plasma and they are going to have alot wider viewing angles almost at 170 degree from the side. LCd have a replaceable light bulb that has between 5000 to 8000 hours of life. They run from $100 to $300 for the buld and some if not most all service plans cover the cost of the bulb.

Plasma are going to availiable in larger sizes but are going to cost more for the larger sizes, they are going to have a limited life span and do not do well with high altitudes. The Plasma tube are non serviceable and are prone to image burn in if left on with ticket tapes or non moving images on them for long periods of time.
post #5 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 02:41 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I am in the gaming industry on the tech support side of things and I know quite a bit about this stuff. For serious console gaming, my advice would be to skip plasma and go with LCD if you want to stay in the 40" range (look at the JVC, the Sharp Aquos, or the Panasonics). If you want bigger screen (50"+) then look into DLPs (Samsung is top notch, Panasonic) or LCOS (JVC). Most everything new is 1080p but the better deals will be for the 720p sets right now. All HD content as far as television is either 720p or 1080i (which a 720p set converts to its native res). The only things that will be 1080p will be some (not all) games and HD DVD/Blu Ray, so imo it's not critical to have it for the forseeable future unless you are going to beef up your DVD library. And even then some DVDs will not look much better than their current state, even if they are remastered in 1080p format.

I have a Wii and the 360. Wii is about to go home (special co pre-order) and a 360 here in the office. The 360 is very good but I haven't played enough Wii to get a good feel for it yet. I will get a PS3 too, just not right away. Can't find one!

For a good forum to ask more questions about AV advice I suggest AVS-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Good luck! :)
post #6 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I just got a 32 inch samsung lcd and it is bad ass. I also have a 50 inch sony dlp and the lcd looks way better IMO. I have never had a plasma and have stayed away from them for the limited life span and burn in problems I have heard about; but I am no expert. Also, I found the plasma to be about double the price for any given screen size.

For gaming, I would definitely go lcd. Lots of good info here:

http://www.avsforum.com
post #7 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 02:48 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

sonnyboy, you beat me to it.........you bastid!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 02:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
I worked for Circuit City for several years as a manager. I will give you my insight.

As was said the LCD are going to have higher contract ratios, faster refresh rates than the Plasma and they are going to have alot wider viewing angles almost at 170 degree from the side. LCd have a replaceable light bulb that has between 5000 to 8000 hours of life. They run from $100 to $300 for the buld and some if not most all service plans cover the cost of the bulb.

Plasma are going to availiable in larger sizes but are going to cost more for the larger sizes, they are going to have a limited life span and do not do well with high altitudes. The Plasma tube are non serviceable and are prone to image burn in if left on with ticket tapes or non moving images on them for long periods of time.

I didnt know about the high altitude problems....good info my horse! LCD All the way!!!! Especially for gaming.
post #9 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to djblacksuperman Send a message via MSN to djblacksuperman Send a message via Yahoo to djblacksuperman
thanks for all the info... does anybody know about that link for the vizio brand tv's??? i like this 1... http://www.vizioce.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=9 b/c its a 46 and its lcd, and i wanna do ALL my gaming on the 360 on it, and occasionally use it as a monitor... im just wondering if anybody has experience w/ that brand and for the size and price.... its pretty unbeatable...
post #10 of 51 Old 10-31-2006, 03:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to zx7rydr
And since everyone else has to say they are an expert I will to. I worked in the home theater department at Best Buy for a few years. Don't buy a LCOS, the technology is still no there yet. Sony started making LCOS first then dropped it due to its instability. JVC and a few others have tried to pick up, with not the greatest results. JVC had a major recall last year on some of their LCOS sets. Other than that yeah, LCD has better contrast, better viewing angles. One thing I will recommend is to get a good line conditioner, also known as power protector or surge protector. You should want to spend about $250-300 for one. Also get good quality cables to connect everything up. If you are using the crap that comes in the box to hook up your DVD player you do not have the right stuff. Anyway go with LCD if ya got any other questions I'm here.

CA green int. brake light, CA green front blinkers, APE manual cct, Kleen air mod (Ivan's), Jumper mod, Full Akrapovich Race exhaust, PC3, Factory Pro Velocity Stacks, Muzzys Alum. Rad. Fan, Factory Pro Shift Star kit, Competition Werks fender elim, Stealth Sprockets (-1, +2), D.I.D ERV3 X-Ring Gold Chain, Speedo Healer, GPR V4, Black/Black Pazzo "shorty" levers, 08 ZX6R Calipers, rockin the pilot powers, more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in