picking a new car - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

picking a new car

I recently changed jobs. I am going from a 28Kish gross to mid 50's take home annually. I am going to wait a little while before I make in major purchases just to make sure the job works out and I don't stick myself with bills I can't afford should something happen. The oil field pays well but enough people want a job it don't take much of a screw up to forced to find another.

I am limited on my car choices since I live a rural area and have limited dealers close by. I don't want to drive 2-3 hours for warrenty work. The most I want to pay is low 30K's. I could get a stripped 2011 Mustang GT, loaded Mustang v6 (not a problem for me since they are about as quick as the previous gt), or a 370Z. I am as single as it gets so I am not worried about passenger space. I don't even have a passenger 98% of the time. The mustang is cheaper but I can also get a pretty good deal on the 370 because my buddy works at a dealer. I still have to look at insurance cost. I am over 25 with a spotless record and no claims. I the Z is going to be more just not sure how much. I like the extra space of the 'stang but every high school girl has one. The two cars should perform close enough that it won't really play a part in the decision making. I do need to test drive them both to see how they feel to me.

I know my friend that the dealer said that when the 350Z's were marked down to 20K as the 370's were coming out he would still get the 370. They are 10K better that the 350.

I will not by a Dodge or Government Motors. I liked the Camaro's till the bailouts

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread

Last edited by sam_b03; 08-21-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Congrats on the new job!

Mustang V6 FTW! They handle great, good millage, and they look good. 10k oil change intervals too. How can you go wrong with that thing?

post #3 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Hard choice. I like both and had an '06 350Z for 2 1/2 years before i sold it back to Nissan under the lemon law. It burned too much oil (only effected the '06 manual with 300hp). I loved that car, it was solid built, handled much better than a mustang. However, that new 2011 mustang gt has a load of hp vs. the 2010 - I would be tempted to get the mustang.

Congrats on the new job!
post #4 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

New Mustang handles much better than the old ones. Something to keep in mind. Especially since you can get the track pack in the V6. Almost a G and it even does well in the slalom.

post #5 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Top Gear tested both the mustang gt and new 370z on their track and raved big time about the 370. You really don't want me to repeat what they said about the mustang and cornering - if it's the same model it had a big heavy straight axel in the rear.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by STurner View Post
Top Gear tested both the mustang gt and new 370z on their track and raved big time about the 370. You really don't want me to repeat what they said about the mustang and cornering - if it's the same model it had a big heavy straight axel in the rear.

And your suprised Top Gear liked the Japanese car over the Ford?

I am not, they hate American cars on there, they even compared the Z06's suspension to a Horse and Buggy, they are well know to be biased against Yank Tanks.

OP, one thing to conscider, while the V6 Mustang is potent, you will always have that stigma floating around that its "just a V6 stang" I don;t think I could stand knowing that that new 5.0 is out there and so bad ass. I would hold off a few months and maybe a used 2011 GT will show up for the same price range as a new loaded V6, just one guys opinion though.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
post #7 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9R to 10R View Post
And your suprised Top Gear liked the Japanese car over the Ford?

I am not, they hate American cars on there, they even compared the Z06's suspension to a Horse and Buggy, they are well know to be biased against Yank Tanks.

OP, one thing to conscider, while the V6 Mustang is potent, you will always have that stigma floating around that its "just a V6 stang" I don;t think I could stand knowing that that new 5.0 is out there and so bad ass. I would hold off a few months and maybe a used 2011 GT will show up for the same price range as a new loaded V6, just one guys opinion though.
Your right about Top Gear's bias, but wrong if you think the mustang can stick anywhere near to the z370 in corners - I've owned several stangs and a 350z and any comparison out there that honest clearly shows even with a trac pack the mustang doesn't hold a candle to the Z in corners or on the track.

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/370...ssan-370z.html
post #8 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't think I can make myself go 10K on an oil change. I have changed oil for a living and have seen some 10K oil and it was not pretty.

I am wanted to get a new car. If I can't find the one I want I may go and custom order one. I want to have what ever car I get for a long time. Drive the wheels off of it (hopefully not literally). I worked in a Nissan dealership for a couple years and know for sure the VQ motor is pretty rock solid. The new mustang motor I am unsure of. I would like to support the only American non-government owned company and I like the looks of a the Mustang. But choosing a car that I want to drive for the next 10 years and spend what I am used to making in a year is a rather big decision for me. The most money I have ever let go at once was 5K for my RC51. I will be lucky if I can get a loan for the car. The only loan that I have had in my life was for the 10 and I had the cash in the bank to pay in full. I just want to build some credit. I have always had a roommate with the bills in their name and paid cash for everything. I plan on putting 20K down. I should be able to do that by Christmas if I watch what I spend. Right now I am research mode.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #9 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 10:54 PM
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by STurner View Post
Your right about Top Gear's bias, but wrong if you think the mustang can stick anywhere near to the z370 in corners - I've owned several stangs and a 350z and any comparison out there that honest clearly shows even with a trac pack the mustang doesn't hold a candle to the Z in corners or on the track.

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/370...ssan-370z.html
I think you are gravely underestimating the handling prowess of the 2011 Mustang, solid axle or not it flat out handles, this is no 2004 GT or something, this is a qualtiy car with years of R&D on proven suspension geometry that flat out works. There are several articles just like this around, Ford shot for the M3 Benchmark in racetrack handling and if they have not surpassed it, they have came damn near close, not sure if the handling on a 370 is in the same ballpark as a M3 or new GT, but give credit where credit is due, solid axle or not the new stang is a buetiflully balanced, well handling car.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/16/2...w-m3-tie-game/
http://blog.cardomain.com/2010/04/19...rd-mustang-gt/
hhttp://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/first/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302ttp://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang/223244-who-would-like-see-2011-mustang-5-0-vs-current-bmw-m3.html
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1511224

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Last edited by 9R to 10R; 08-21-2010 at 11:03 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-21-2010, 11:02 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9R to 10R View Post
I think you are gravely underestimating the handling prowess of the 2011 Mustang, solid axle or not it flat out handles, this is no 2004 GT or something, this is a qualtiy car with years of R&D on proven suspension geometry that flat out works. There are several articles just like this around, Ford shot for the M3 Benchmark in racetrack handling and if they have not surpassed it, they have came damn near close, not sure if the handling on a 370 is in the same ballpark as a M3 or new GT, but give credit where credit is due, solid axle or not the new stang is a buetiflu balanced, well handling car.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/16/2...w-m3-tie-game/
right

No solid axle vehicle can handle like independent rear suspension on a Z, not to mention the stiff suspension and geometry. I know both cars quite well, one is like handling a brick when compared to the other. As much as I like the Mustang (and I would probably choose it over the Z) b/c it's an American muscle car. It will beat the Z in a straight line but not in the corners no matter what you say.

Last edited by STurner; 08-21-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in