Photo Question/tips thread. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Still here

Posting Frequency

Photo Question/tips thread.

El Diablo- Do you take your photos in jpeg form or use the Raw format with those fancy lenses and skills?

Also what are some basic filters I should get? UV... and maybe a clear just for protection in dim conditions.

Ever use a monopod or do you drag a tripod around at say races?

Just getting started, more I learn the more I'll know to ask.

Thanks and any other photo people feel free to jump in.

No Killa jokes.. too easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I have a Nikon D70. I found out that the transition from film to digital is not always so simple. My lenses that used to work great on film started to seem to have soft focus on a digital camera. Shortly after I noticed this, Shutterbug magazine ran an article about this same subject. Seems as though many "film" lenses will allow light to reflect between the image pick up device and the rear elements of the lens, producing a soft focus look. It seems to be much more noticable on telephoto lenses. The "cure" is to use telephoto film lenses at small aperatures. (Which can cause another set of problems). "Digital Optimized" lenses have additional coating on the rear lens elements to limit this reflection. Beyond that the D70 produces amazing images. And so do comparable Canon Cameras. I do not use a tripod or monopod when shooting motorcycles on the track, but I have always felt I had a very steady hand and can maintain a pan very well on a moving motorcycle or car. The rule of thumb when using telephoto lenses has always been, if you are using a 400mm lens, use at least 1/400th shutter speed. When using telephoto lenses on some digital cameras, remember to bump that by 1 1/2 because of the field of view multiplication factor due to the size of the image device in many digital cameras is smaller than the area of 35mm film.
I only shoot in the fine/large mode in .jpg. I have not tried the Raw format. It is my understanding that Raw is better if you are going to do a lot of work in Photoshop with your images. A lens protector lens is always a good idea. Sorta like wearing your sportbike gear. Sometimes you may find a polarizing lens to be helpful.
And like motorcycles, seat time helps. So get a lot of memory and start shooting.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Actually I currently shoot all my photos in the lowest compression (highest quality) JPEG and set the camera to the lowest "in camera" sharpening setting available. I prefer to leave the sharpening for the very last step in Photoshop before saving for web or print. I don't have any fancy lenses right now. Just the little Canon G5 point & shoot with non-detachable lens right now. When I had my DSLR's I shot in Canon's CRW Raw format and converted using Canon's conversion software, Yarc+ and/or Capture One's great conversion software. C1 was awesome and offered HUGE control over processing of the raw files. For unimportant images I just used the Canon conversion software, or Yarc+ (for it's nice workflow) and did minimal special processing. For the good stuff I used Yarc+ or C1 and tweaked it as much as possible during processing. Just before I sold my DSLR's I had started using C1 for everything and simply not tweaking the less important shots as much as the good stuff.

I've never really used filters. I've got a few and tried them out with my DSLR's and good lenses, but just never really got into using them much. Just never found a real need for them.

I use a tripod if I use anything, but all my race shots have always been handheld shots. I sometimes use things like guard rails or fences as props for slower shutter speeds, but most of the time I shoot racing freehand. I lose a few images to camera movent/blur, but I get a lot of shots that I wouldn't get with a tripod or monopod, too.

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

Si vis pacem, para bellum...

El Diablo
post #4 of 5 Old 06-14-2005, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Still here

Posting Frequency

Damn that thing takes some sweet shots. Guess "rider" experience is helping alot too.

Just googled that G5 Powershot, interesting, kind of in between a full dslr and a pocket cam. Cool.

Guess that fits with the soon to be 636 huh?

Thaks for the feedback Diablo and Zeta.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Just when I think Im starting to figure this camera thing out.....

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in