Partially blind - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Partially blind

So the other day I was at work where I am a GM of a restaraunt. I was outside using a Bobcat relandscaping and I went to get back into the machine and all of a sudden I felt really weird. I then climbed back out and told my boss that something was wrong. I figured it out as I was walking into the restaurant that I was not able to see everything out of my right eye. I could see from 11:00 to 1:00 and everything else was completely dark, and my left eye was having a hard time reading anything. I was having trouble making out answers to questions and I had a little bit of slurred speach. I had my wife take me to Medcheck, and that is when they told me that I had a migraine. I have never had one before so I had no idea what it could have been. So I took the rest of the day off, they gave me some pills and a shot in my ass, and my vision started to come back slightly. I got home took the meds, and slept from 4pm to 7am. I woke up still couldn't see out of my right eye and took more meds and slept pretty much from 7:30am til 6pm. Then from 8pm til 7am this morning.
I woke up this morning and I still not 100% in my right eye. I can see staright ahead but I still have no peripheal vision. I am now starting to get worried. It's been two days and its still not right. I am thinking I need to go back to the doctor, or to the eye doctor. But I don't know which one to go to first. Any suggestions? Or has this happened to any of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 07:57 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

don't wait man!!!

go to your general! And ask to get an MRI. Do you still have slurred speech?
post #3 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

well I've had migranes before and that does sound like what happens to me. I get a "waterfall" sort of thing way off to the side, sometimes left, sometimes to the right.

and it progresses to the partical loss of vision, like you have described... , then a pounding headache that gets worse and worse until I throw up... Then I sleep for 3 hours and the headache is gone and the vision returns mostly to normal, ususally takes a full nights sleep for the vision to be correct with me.

and Yes, reading, or watching TV, or anything that requres you to focus... that's what is the deal with me... it's like someone has something infront of one eye so you are seeing with one, and sort of half blacked out with the other, makes it nearly impossible to focus on anything specific.

I've never had it last more then a day, or really until I throw up and then sleep so not sure why it's lasting so long with you.

Did you get a headache?

Some people call it and "optical migrane"... I get the optical part but it's crushed out of existance by the headache that follows.

haven't had one in years, but when I was a kid in Jr. High... 2 - 3 times a month, all the way through high school.

some people say MSG will trigger them, others say dehydration can set it off.

if you didn't get the headache part, .... who knows, you may still have the migrane.

worst part for me was when I saw the waterfall... I knew it was comming and I didn't have any way to stop it... bleah.

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
post #4 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Could be a ton of things. Get to the Dr and dont let them rest until they get to the bottom of whats going on. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on whats going on.

post #5 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Dude right away I was thinking mild stroke. I would get strait to the doctor ASAP!
post #6 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbass1 View Post
dude right away i was thinking mild stroke. I would get strait to the doctor asap!

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #7 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 11:16 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

doctor asap!
post #8 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #9 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Possible TIA - or Not.

I used to get this 3 to 4 times a year. Always seemed to happen at work. This past March, I got another attack of the "sparkling wiggles" in my visual field. Only lasted a few hours. I was OK to drive home by the end of the work day.

Doctor visit a few days later and based upon my description it was daignosed as an "Opthalmologic Migrane" without the pain. Apparently, some blood vessels around or near the optic chiasma go into a spasm of sorts and interfere with the circualtion in this area affecting one or more eyes. The tip off is if you also see this manifestation with both eyes CLOSED.

Rest, sleep, next day fine. What concerns me with your episode is the slurred speech component. May have been a TIA or "transient ischemic attack" otherwise known as a mini-stroke. Not that there is anything you can do about it now. Yes, you should have a follow up and a definitive diagnosis. I would recommend an Opthalmologist - an MD specializing in the ocular, anatomic and neurophysiology of the visual system.

My opinion is that stress is a major factor in the precipitation of these events. In the end, if a TIA is ruled out, I think you'll be fine. Just watch the stressors in your life.
post #10 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Well made it to the dr. Did a basic eye exam, and I passed that fine. They then sent me to an optometrist, since all the opthlamogists were closed today. I got there, and they dialated my eyes, and she said that all looked fine. Still not sure as to what it could be. They then sent me back to the dr's office and we waited for the return phone call from the on-call opthamologist and eh did not seem that concered about it. I am to go see him first thing monday morning.

In regards to what had happened. It was not a slurred speech like what you see drunks talking like. It was just hard for me to gather my words. And it was very difficult to remember the things that my parents were telling me. When I talked to the dr about that, he said thats typical of migraines of this nature. I shall keep you all posted on what is going on in this situation. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in