Outsourcing Tech Support - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-01-2007, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Outsourcing Tech Support

I'm sick of calling for tech support and getting someone in India.

My frustration usually starts with hearing the following... "Thank you for calling AT&T DSL tech support, my name is Sam, what can I help you with today?"

I know his name isnt Sam, and his accent and understanding of the english language are horrible. I have to repeat myself two and three times and get nowhere. Last time I called to see why my connection blows, "Max" told me that I should log into my modem. I did, right then the connection came back on and he said that I have to log in to my modem if I have problems. Amazing! Whenever I call to complain, the connection is fine. These fucktards are doing nothing more than following a flow chart.

"Sam" just called back and said "I have for a number for a trouble ticket for you to take in case you have a pencil for to write it down with". If they are going to have mental midgets taking my call, why not do it here. There are enough idiots without a command of the english language right in our own backyard!

"Sam" told me that a technician will troubleshoot the problem from the tech support site and will call if they cant resolve the issue. He also told me that I'll be getting a survey in the mail and "carefully take a minute of time for to fill it out and rate his level of service I am recieving". He asked if there was anything else that I needed... I told him to tell me his real name... He then repeated "this is AT&T customer service, you are speaking with Sam".

It's taken me 4 times to get this reply to take and his only help was for me to put some wood under my modem.

Simply AMAZING!

Kelly
'05 ZX-10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

That's great!!
I know the feeling exactly, try calling Symantec, or even Microsoft for that matter.

I really got chapped last month when I had a question about e-filing with Turbo Tax.

Needless to say my comment on the "survey" was that I expect to receive support from someone that actually files a tax return in the United States!
post #3 of 30 Old 03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

i hate loosing my job to outsourcing which my company is doing now ..

"within a year we will be laying of 1/3 to 1/2 of the employes"

im not at the top of the layoff list but im certainly not at the bottem

"Once you've tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return."
post #4 of 30 Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Just a sign of the times with everyone wanting cheap and willing to pay for it. It costs money to maintain US centric call centers. Not saying that many of the outsourced call centers can't handle the job but in my experience, I've had more let downs than help. What I have found that expedites and gets the issue resolved is to use any online chat feature a particular company might have. I've had more luck going this route than calling. Dell is one example where I will never call in again. I do it all via chat. The person on the other side which typically is someone at a foreign support center can be understood. A copy of the conversation is saved and forwarded to my email address so that there is a record of what transpired.

It's funny Dell had this issue with their business customers. They outsourced all their call support to India and heard it from pissed off business customers. Within a year or so, Dell moved all their business support back to the States.

For me as far as network gear goes, I'm slowly weening my way off of consumer grade/SMB equipment. I'm starting to replace my stuf with Cisco gear. I have personal contacts at Cisco who has provided nothing but exemplary service to me in my business interactions with them. I have 3 contacts over there that if they can't answer my question or get what I need, they'll escalate it so that it gets resolved....typically within a day or two. Now that's service.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-01-2007, 05:03 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to grover
I hate outsourcing of call centers too. We have complained about it since day one. People are already pissed cause they are having problems with their pc and now they have to deal with someone they can't understand. That makes the situation just peachey. We have to call the same call centers for help and i work for the company. Nothing makes you look more incompitent then having to repeat yourself several times just to get the tech support person to understand what you are having problems with. The biggest complaint i get from customers is havng to deal with our call centers and tech support. :headshake

KRONREIF TRUNKENPOLZ MATTIGHOFEN

post #6 of 30 Old 03-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Everyone needs to read the book "The World is Flat", it is all about outsourcing to cheaper, underdeveloped countries that are trying to evolve. Alls I can say is that it sucks but you will have to deal with it because it is not going to change atleast not anytime soon, wait till you are talking to asians man thats a real trip...
post #7 of 30 Old 03-02-2007, 01:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes, outsourcing isn't going away anytime soon.

But beyond the issues of communication, many people haven't seen the greater danger in this outsourcing trend. Many companies are now outsourcing data processing to third world countries. Yes, a lot of banks and accounting firms have facilities over in places like India where your private information is being kept. It's a travesty how companies here in the States can't get it straight with information security. Imagine what it's like out there. The big question would be how are security breaches and such managed at an outsourced location? What laws apply? Would US law prevail to hold people accountable? These have yet to be addressed and with other things being outsourced it's a real issue. Radiological services are starting to be outsourced as things like X-rays are now digital and can be sent via the internet for some radiologist in India to look over the charts. What happens with your data once it's been read there? Has the AMA thoroughly checked off the people there for competency? What about liability? Would malpractice suits have reach over there?
post #8 of 30 Old 03-02-2007, 01:52 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to grover
Insurance companies are also trying to outsource some surgeries. Fly you to another country to have the procedure done cheaper and fly you back to save them money. Pretty messed up.

KRONREIF TRUNKENPOLZ MATTIGHOFEN

post #9 of 30 Old 03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Outsourcing like this won't go away, but some of it might come back (see Dell example above). Companies hear it when people complain about this. If enough people complain, and threaten to take business elsewhere, at least some companies will do something about it.

Our firm has stopped doing business with one particular large automotive supplier because they outsourced their accounts receivable/payable to Mexico, and despite us attempting to follow their convoluted procedures with the help of people on this end, that was pretty much the end of us getting paid. No money ... no further business. Eventually that one did get straightened out, but it was so much aggravation that we will now only deal with them via money up front or credit card payment up front. We will not go the usual business transaction route (purchase order / invoice afterward). I know that we weren't the only service provider to have these problems.

I've said this for years: the cheapest price is NOT the best value at the end of the day. People who shop around for the cheapest price, usually get what they deserve. I don't even quote jobs where I know the customer is only looking for the cheapest price. It's not worth my time to pursue them, and I have enough work anyway.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #10 of 30 Old 03-02-2007, 03:23 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

hahahaha, i feel ya bro, i posted up here about Dell and their bozo's not understanding my siimpe question.

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in